Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #31
HMarc
Hoseur

Oddometer: 264
I just mounted a SW-MOTECH centerstand on my F800GS. Very nice build quality, gorgeous thick powdercoating. The OEM centerstand looks cheap in comparison, even though it costs about 50% more than the SW-MOTECH. The two springs were a bitch to get on, but once I figured out a trick, it went very smoothly.

The bike pops right up on the centerstand, putting my right foot on the stand and right hand on the left passenger peg mount (I'll need my gloves on when the exhaust is hot). Pushes easily off the centerstand.

I'm about 160lbs, 5' 7" so I was concerned about how tough it would be. I bought a first-gen R1200GS in April of '04, the one with the centerstand WAY back (60/40 instead of 50/50 like the R11xxGSes) and it was really tough for me to centerstand it until I bought a Wunderlich lifting handle. Even then it required effort and technique -- the SW-MOTECH centerstand is a piece of cake in comparison.

I haven't loaded it with luggage, so I imagine it will get more difficult in that case. I also haven't ridden with it yet, but from looking at the angles from a ways behind the bike, it appears that the pegs or sidestand will drag before the centerstand.

I, too, am concerned about the small feet on the centerstand when parking on dirt/gravel. We'll see. I can always take it off and weld larger feet on it if necessary.

Regarding changing the front tire, Helge Pederson suggests using the side stand and the luggage to pivot the bike on the rear wheel and side stand with the luggage rack against a luggage box on the ground (or a stump or big rock). He has a video of how to do it that is worth watching. Looks like the easy way to remove the front wheel on the side of the road/trail.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #32
rokboat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Has anyone tried modifying/shortening the stock BMW stand as it has much better feet than the motech option? I'm figuring about 3" to clear rear footpegs. any comments???
rokboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #33
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
Center stand

Flip up passenger peg, boot on stand tip, grab passenger rail or luggage mount, pull up nad to the rear while applying weight to the stand and deploy. Easy as pie. Spend an hour working on your technique and it will be less time than finding a welder, removing the stand, welding, painting, reinstalling. Once you got the knack you can do it in flip flops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokboat
Has anyone tried modifying/shortening the stock BMW stand as it has much better feet than the motech option? I'm figuring about 3" to clear rear footpegs. any comments???
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #34
TastyPants
Harasshole

Oddometer: 224
A trick for the center stand...

If you are having trouble fully loaded it is much easier if you turn the rear shock adjustment ALL the way clockwise. It lifts the rear of the bike and makes it easier to pop onto the center stand. It's a pain, but it always works for me when I'm too tired or the bike is fully loaded.
TastyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #35
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMarc
I just mounted a SW-MOTECH centerstand.... The two springs were a bitch to get on, but once I figured out a trick, it went very smoothly.

So...what's the trick with these springs? I am struggling to get the springs attached. Tried everything I can think of, from a makeshift pulley system, to using a screwdriver much like the instructions that show the "spring installation tool"...
Old 07-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #36
tipler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I have the SW stand. to install I hooked both springs to the front and then, using a loop of wire I had laying around I pulled back the other spring hoops and hooked them one at a time. If you need leverage for the second one you can make a loop in the wire and then lever it back.
tipler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #37
jessehere
Ridin'

Oddometer: 764
sw motech stand wont work in the soft stuff. but i still like it better then OEM ram horns
jessehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #38
Willwork4F800GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipler
I have the SW stand. to install I hooked both springs to the front and then, using a loop of wire I had laying around I pulled back the other spring hoops and hooked them one at a time. If you need leverage for the second one you can make a loop in the wire and then lever it back.
I actually created a loop using a medium zip tie, basically did the same thing as tipler, just a different tool!

-glenn
Willwork4F800GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #39
themobb
Is this thing on???

Oddometer: 504
My SW-Motech CS just arrived today. Will install tomorrow.
Thanks for all the comments!

Lance

PS: Well, I couldn't wait until tomorrow... Bolted up in about five minutes. Spent another hour futtzing with the spring.
I guess my zip ties aren't as strong as some. Even tripled up, they kept stripping out before reaching the pin. I ended
up using picture hanger wire; 15 lb, wrapped into about four loops. Worked fantastic! Got the springs on in about five
minutes after finding the wire...

Works perfectly!

themobb screwed with this post 07-30-2010 at 02:48 PM
themobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #40
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Thank You for the advice. I bought the installation tool for my SW Motech stand, but it would not work because of my bash plate. The picture wire did the trick. Make sure you have some with more than 50 lbs test weight or it might break. I tied mine to the spring and a piece of rebar which I used as a fulcrum placed under the rear wheel. I used a tire spoon to wedge the spring in after it was pulled back enough. Once it was set up it worked like a snap. I do think the SW Motech center stand is better than stock. Don't bother with the special tool. You can get the stand at www.twistedthrottle.com Dave
Old 08-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #41
RamblerTim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
WTB: Centerstand

I am interested in purchasing a centerstand for my BMW F800GS. I am open to the BMW brand or the after market versions. I am an excellent buyer. Would you like to sell your centerstand?

Thanks,
RamblerTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #42
blatant
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
fwiw, the bmw stand does pretty well or actually very well in softer stuff compared to the other b/c of its gigantic footprint. It doesn't look as sexy when it's snapped back up into place but for utility and ease of lift to get the bike up, its a big winner for me.
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #43
Corona
Dreaming of Dreaming

Oddometer: 100
As a word of warning, if you have the BMW stand and the BMW pannier racking system be careful trying to haul it up when its a little wet. My hand slipped when yanking the bike hard to get it onto the stand and nearly sliced open one of my fingers on the mounting tabs on the racking system.

2005 CBR600F4i
Farkles: Hell braided brake lines
Current Tyre: Michelin Pilot Road 2
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #44
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I have had several weeks on the SW Motech stand (Pictured on the levitating bike above) I don't see why anyone would pay more for the heavier, more expensive, bulkier, stock stand. Yes it has a bigger footprint - big deal. You don't park these things in a mud puddle even in a swamp. Dave
Old 10-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #45
stin987
R1200GSA

Oddometer: 211
Bmw center stand

Just got done installing my BMW center stand. The only hard park was the springs. After I figured out how to attach one spring the other was no problem. Great stand. I like the curved bottom, it makes it roll onto the stand easier. It really isn't ugly, you just have to get used to it. I actually think the sw motech is ugly. This is not very practical but I like the look of no side stand or center stand (motocross style).
stin987 is offline   Reply With Quote