Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
gregal OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
stalling issue with R1200GS ADVENTURE

Hello all,
I could use some advice.
I can't figure why my bike is stalling in first gear or even in 2nd gear, after cruising to a light, I grab the clutch and brake, when I travel a few feet the bike cuts out very quietly. What could it be. I have been traveling for 7000 miles, and change the oil consistently.

Thanks,
al
gregal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,669
It sounds like a computer issue. Does the idle normally run at about 1100-1200RPM? This is hard to diagnose without seeing it.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Ozaround
Just kinda riding around

Oddometer: 280
mine had the same issue, but only after it sat for awhile. It would only happen directly after I started it. My shop said to let it warm up first, no more than a minute. I have a habit of starting her, then not passing go, or collecting 200 bucks. I would start it and immediately let out the clutch.

Sometimes I am impatient... When I want to go, I want to go right now...
lol
Ozaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
hazard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregal
Hello all,
I could use some advice.
I can't figure why my bike is stalling in first gear or even in 2nd gear, after cruising to a light, I grab the clutch and brake, when I travel a few feet the bike cuts out very quietly. What could it be. I have been traveling for 7000 miles, and change the oil consistently.

Thanks,
al
So in the k-bikes forum this is called NIdle, No Idle. As opposed to HIdle, High Idle. Lots of Times HIdle and NIdle come together

THis has been attributed to:

Bad AIrbox design.
Funky SOftware.
Bad 02 Sensor.
Bad addaptive fule mappings.
and
Various other items.

I rode my KGT for 16k miles and had my first occurence a few weeks ago, after a 3,000 mile trip over the course of a week.

About 40 miles from home it seems to want to run HIdle, 2-3 k. I get it home I'm tired I blow it off.

2 days later I'm on the way to work, NIdle. Same symptom you have. Limp it home, and take the GSA.

When I get home from work I put 2 gals of Brand gas, the prior tank was from an independent dealer. I then did what the K-Bikes call a TP reset:

1) Discoonect pos and neg battery cables and ground them both.
2) Recconect Battery cables.
3) TUrn Key on. (DO Not Start Bike)
4) Let bike go through system diagnostics.
5) Turn throttle 3 times from full closed to full open
6) Wait 10 seconds.
7) Turn key off for 1 minute.
8) Restart bike.

The theory is it resets fule mappings or some such, adaptive learning has to start over.

I have not had the problem since, although I have only put 200 miles on the bike. It also seemed to fix my gas gauge, mpg calculation and mileage range.

A few days later my GS911 showed up and no fault codes had been thrown.

So I'm not saying this will work, or this is the correct procedure for an R bike. Or even makes sense on an R bike. Just information.

BUt you may want to research it....

09 Solo Baja Trip
07 K1200GT
08 GSA
hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
gregal OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks for the feed back, I will need to look into that system refresh. Can bad gas, or oil cause that. I had bought what I thought was non synthetic oil in the UK, carried it around for a few weeks, got to Italy and did my oil change but was short a liter, so I went to a local bike shop and he sold me regular oil from a large barrel, he didnt have the small bottles in regular on synthetic, when I went to load the oil into the bike, I notice his oil was red, and the oil i used before was a regular yellow gold color. My bmw mechanic told me to stick with regular and not use synthetic, because of how synthetic oil gets into certain parts and breaks it down. However the bmw mechanic in Zurich switzerland told me they were told to only use synthetic, and the country itself is not allowed to sell regular oil anymore it has to be some synthetic blend.

I remember now, more about this problem, sometimes when I go to give it gas in first it cuts out too, not just a sudden dead idile.

Thanks again for all your advice.
gregal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:02 AM   #6
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,669
Forget the oil. Synth or Dino it wont make a difference in your issue. Really it makes little difference anyhow.

It sounds to me like you have a bad throttle position sensor, or similar issue. I would definitely take it to the dealer and have the fault codes checked. The bike should never stall at idle, should idle at 1150+-50 RPM and absolutely should not stall when twisting the throttle.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
jjharris144

Oddometer: n/a
My 08 GSA had similar symptoms. It turned out to be the fuel pump module (computer). It hasn't stalled since this was replaced (under warranty).

Hope this helps.

Jay