Old 02-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #766
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamming View Post
Pump faster!!!

What are you talking about?

Because of that incident, I am the World Record Holding Brake-Pumping Champion...

...and I also hold the record for the World's Largest Pupils (and Whitest Knuckles).

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #767
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 680
just new pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
When you decide to insert a 6MM t-handled hex wrench, in-between your brake pads, to push the pistons in (because you did not wish to remove the caliper, to facilitate an easier re-install of the tire...as was suggested on every forum in North America), perhaps you should not approach your first red light at 60mph.

Pressure, in the system, takes a surprisingly long time to rebuild. Or, at least, it seems like an eternity (when you're measuring in feet per second)...

Threw pads on a customers sentra and headed towards a major street at 130 pm ,upon reaching the end of the shop lot ,hit the pedal for the very first time. The steering still worked as I put a hickey in my shorts and turned right on to the busy street.

ps 28 years ago or yesterday
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #768
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,282
Quote:
perhaps you should not approach your first red light at 60mph.

Pressure, in the system, takes a surprisingly long time to rebuild. Or, at least, it seems like an eternity (when you're measuring in feet per second)...

this made me laugh out loud
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #769
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
this made me laugh out loud

Geek!!!

Where the hell ya' been, Buddy? I hope all is well for you and yours.

I'm glad I could be of some entertainment value.

Despite the fact that I can't carry 10+ gallons of gas, I still stalk you (from time-to-time), in the OC...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #770
Iron Dingo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Oh so many of us have don this one..

I was rolling it off the lift and found the shop door was a better way to stop the bike...

Quote:
When you decide to insert a 6MM t-handled hex wrench, in-between your brake pads, to push the pistons in (because you did not wish to remove the caliper, to facilitate an easier re-install of the tire...as was suggested on every forum in North America), perhaps you should not approach your first red light at 60mph.

Iron Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #771
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dingo View Post
Oh so many of us have don this one..

I was rolling it off the lift and found the shop door was a better way to stop the bike...
Actually, I've been guilty of the opposite offense too many times. Squeezing the brake lever while the wheel is off. Definitely makes the reinstall a pita!
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #772
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,609
How about squeezing the brake lever while the pads are off. Pistons and fluid on the ground next.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #773
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
How about squeezing the brake lever while the pads are off. Pistons and fluid on the ground next.
I think I did that ONCE, a long time ago.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #774
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMotorcyclist View Post
I think I did that ONCE, a long time ago.
Once is usually all it takes. Same for the failure to pump before needing them. Some lessons are learned very quickly and well.
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #775
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post
Once is usually all it takes.
Yup.
If I pull the wheel or the caliper I always jam a spacer in the caliper unless Im changing pads right then. Because I know damn well there is a good chance that Ill pull that front brake lever at some point just from force of habit. I make sure I pump em back up when Im done.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #776
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer: 609
Done both, fortunately i never repeated either.

I found out about the depressed piston thing coming to the end of my street, the thing about my street is that it is about 90 Meters long, with over half of it on about a 25 degree (minimum) slope. My place is at the very top of this slope.

For some reason I like rollercoastering down that slope with the clutch in every now and then and did this on my test ride. Fortunately i had only gotten to about 40 when i realised my mistake, the downside to this was that i was roughly about halfway along the flat and attempting to stop for the intersection.

When i quickly uncovered my error and pumped very very very quickly. I didn't get full brake strength back, but i made sure it did the job. I had brake lever imprints left in my fingers for a couple of hours after that one, despite wearing leather gloves.

Second Note to self, when trying to roll start your 200+kilo bike on that same slope in late autumn, make sure you flick from neutral to second AFTER you turn from your driveway onto the street, not at the apex of the corner. It propped dead due to the cold engine/thick oil on the clutch and down i went like a sack of crap, mid turn.

I had to call work and say I'd be late, then try and convince a random neighbour to come help me push the bike at 6:20am in a 3 point turn on that bastard of a hill so that i could limp back inside & hide my shame.

End result, bent bracket for indcator, broken clutch lever, snapped left footpeg, even more scuffs on the fairing and me driving to work instead. Good times.

mike-s screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 05:56 AM
mike-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #777
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Be sure to plug the dry sump oil container BEFORE cranking up the engine trying to make room for the remaining oil or you'll make room the wrong way.

Remember to get your XR's cylinder in the compression cycle TDC when torqueing the valve cover, If it happens to spill oil thru the gasket check you did it the proper way instead of trying to torque the bolts over and over.

If you have a torque wrench, why the hell you keep using the socket wrench and breaking the bolts heads?
Dexter2811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #778
sveinis
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Bluhduh

When welding the frame of your bike, remember the rod will strike an arc on ANY metal part of the bike directly connected to the frame.
Including the inner tube of your front fork, leaving a nice little crater!

Changing fork seals are now a part of every 5000 km service
sveinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #779
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
When changing the rear brake pads on a Tiger 1050, don't forget to put the calipers back in the slot in the swingarm that keeps them from rotating and ripping the brake line to shreds.
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #780
FixerDave
KLR-650

Oddometer: 354
I got one... er... two

Number 1... when you buy a bike in 13 boxes that somebody decided to rebuild but didn't, and finally get the puzzle together at 1am, and it actually STARTS (2-stroke RD-400 with racing pipes, 1am) do not forget to put gas in the tank before going for a test ride... far, far from home, in suburbia, where no gas stations are open at 1:30am.

Number 2... do not, ever, put extra slippery motor oil additives (aka STP) in a vehicle with a clutch that runs in said motor oil, not if you want to get anywhere fast. On the bright side, you will NEVER wear out those friction plates.

Other than that, I try to learn from the mistakes of others... it's less painful. I remember a friend and I were cleaning the chains on our respective dirtbikes, getting ready for the next day. Bungie around the front brake leaver, stick under the footpeg opposite the side stand, engine on in first gear, rag on chain, listening to the radio... Newscaster saying ANOTHER idiot on a Harley managed to amputate his thumb while cleaning his bike. Second one that week, he said. How can somebody cut their thumb off CLEANING a bike? How could they be that stupid? Oh... engine off, lets not do that any more.

Okay, yes, I've left the gas line off the petcock and run out of gas 2 blocks from home, and had gas pouring down my leg after I remembered to turn the petcock on. Oh, and, yes, I managed to try to push my bike through the side door of the garage and up a step at the same time (done it thousands of times) but this time the kickstand was down... it was funny but rather difficult to extricate the bike and I. Oh, and I've done the "it won't start" routine and gone through all the diagnostics to find the auto not in park. Didn't replace the starter, though. Then there's bending a lugnut wrench, rattling an impact gun for ages, and busting a socket with a flex-bar and a pipe extension while trying to take a wheel of a Dodge pickup, then sitting there, exhausted and frustrated, wondering what the 'L' stamped on the head of the lug-bolt meant. And... well, I'm going to shut up now while I still have a bit of little self esteem left.

David...
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote