User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #781
thelen60
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Notes to self:

1. When siphoning gas out of a lawn mower to put my four-wheeler, take my mouth off the hose before the gas gets there. (I was 13 and burped the taste of gasoline for 48 hours)

2. When taking the transmission of my truck, put something underneath to catch it other than your testicles. (Watched my dad do that one)

3. General rule: Don't wear cut-off T-shirts when working on cars; even if it is 90* in the garage. (Bolted in sheet metal to repair rotted floorboards. Cutting off bolts with a Dremel can make them red hot and drop into your shirt. I have the scar to prove it.)

4. Don't wear hooded sweatshirt with strings while using an industrial size LeBlond lathe. After watching my strings bounce off the chuck, I had to go sit down trembling. If you don't understand this look up pictures of people getting caught up in lathes....

5. Don't have bottle rocket fights without a shirt on.

6. If you are on your motorcycle and see a woman on a cell phone, drive away from her!
thelen60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #782
martinnyc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelen60 View Post
Notes to self:
4. Don't wear hooded sweatshirt with strings while using an industrial size LeBlond lathe. After watching my strings bounce off the chuck, I had to go sit down trembling. If you don't understand this look up pictures of people getting caught up in lathes....
this is precisely why i pull the strings out of every hooded sweatshirt i buy, got one end caught in the fan belt of my old truck, it yanked out smoothly, but the pucker factor was still a 4.0
martinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #783
Bokononist

Oddometer: 16,613
When changing the timing belt on your Pathfinder, make sure you put the shortest bolt in the bottom of the lower belt cover. Unless you like ripping the whole thing apart again.

42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #784
ADVMindset
Americana Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
"When welding the frame of your bike, remember the rod will strike an arc on ANY metal part of the bike directly connected to the frame.
Including the inner tube of your front fork, leaving a nice little crater!

Changing fork seals are now a part of every 5000 km service"

That's one HELLUVA of a first post !

Now be ready to have some ornery comments made ! But it's all fun !

Sorry to hear about your tube....

Welcome to the asylum !!!
ADVMindset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #785
jcmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerDave View Post

.......and had gas pouring down my leg after I remembered to turn the petcock on....

David...
Had a similar experience but with oil.. Forgot to put the oil cap back on after filling and was on the interstate before I realized what happened. What tipped me off was the difference in the way my jeans were flapping in the wind
jcmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #786
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinis View Post
When welding the frame of your bike, remember the rod will strike an arc on ANY metal part of the bike directly connected to the frame.
Including the inner tube of your front fork, leaving a nice little crater!

Changing fork seals are now a part of every 5000 km service
I am surprised that the inmates have not advised this guy how to save his fork seals?
Here's my suggestion: Get a hard and very fine stone to hand work over the fork tube nick and knock off all the high spots. Fill the crater with epoxy and stone that down flush. Now the fork seal has something to glide over without getting nicked up. If the tube still pushes a lot of oil, the bushing is probably scratched/gouged. Hope that helps. Others can chime in with better stuff.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #787
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,156
Learned this one from 100 yards away today.

Note to self;

Do not take an old single axle pop-up camper and convert it into a flat bed trailer. Do not place two garbage dumpsters on trailer. Do not fill dumpsters with scrap iron. And most definitely do not pull the whole works behind your mid-90's Toyota 4Runner at 65 mph down a counrty highway!!!!

I tried to get a picture after I made sure he was OK, but it didn't turn out.

Let's just say; High speed wobble, near roll over, jack-knife, 3 or 4 broken windows, ditch, bent to hell front suspension and a shit ton of iron tossed into the ditch.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #788
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daamud View Post

Note to self;

Do not take an old single axle pop-up camper and convert it into a flat bed trailer. Do not place two garbage dumpsters on trailer. Do not fill dumpsters with scrap iron. And most definitely do not pull the whole works behind your mid-90's Toyota 4Runner at 65 mph down a counrty highway!!!!

Let's just say; High speed wobble, near roll over, jack-knife, 3 or 4 broken windows, ditch, bent to hell front suspension and a shit ton of iron tossed into the ditch.
And this is why there should be a requirement for a towing endorsement on one's license, as well as inspections for trailers.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #789
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daamud View Post

Note to self;

I got the picture, I can see it now, WOW would you look at that. I can't believe the mess. He appears alright, OK. WOW would you look at that...

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #790
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,584
When you are packing up your gear for a nice 3 day get away with 150 other inmates, make sure to check your gear bag to verify that your riding boots are in there. You can skip this step if you wear a size 9 - 12 siz shoe. 13+ Not so good.

Thankfully the store in town 70 miles away had 1 pair. So now I have a spare pair of boots (Tech 3's). I will have to say that the Honda shop in Ridgecrest CA (I don't remember the name) didn't bend me over when he heard I forgot the boots. He was actually simpathetic that he didn't have anything cheaper.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #791
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
Note to self: be careful when waxing horizontal band saw blades. I did this today at work. Cut straight through one tendon, mostly through another. It'll be a badass scar/story though

Old 04-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #792
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,156
Old 04-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #793
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Note to self: be careful when waxing horizontal band saw blades. I did this today at work. Cut straight through one tendon, mostly through another. It'll be a badass dumbass scar/story though

Fixt!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #794
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
OK, badass scar, dumbass story
Old 04-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #795
blakey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
When putting the cylinder head back on a Yamaha 100 trail bike, make sure you know the difference between inch pounds and foot pounds.

When replacing fork oil in the above mentioned bike, make sure you know the difference between ATF and brake fluid.
blakey is offline   Reply With Quote