Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #826
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Rick View Post
Note to self:

Putting the heat shrink tube on the wire before soldering the final splice saves from having to solder twice.

+1
Old 06-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #827
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Rick View Post
Note to self:

Putting the heat shrink tube on the wire before soldering the final splice saves from having to solder twice.
Yup. And push it back out of the way far enough so that it doesn't shrink in place where it happens to be sitting from the heat of soldering.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #828
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
Yup. And push it back out of the way far enough so that it doesn't shrink in place where it happens to be sitting from the heat of soldering.
And if you only had to do this 87 times before the lesson sunk in, you are way better'n me. When they make a material that I can paint on after I do the solder and immediately dry&shrink for this application, I will buy it by the gallon. Carp! It's a wonder that I ever learned to tie my shoes?!
Old 06-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #829
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran View Post
And if you only had to do this 87 times before the lesson sunk in, you are way better'n me. When they make a material that I can paint on after I do the solder and immediately dry&shrink for this application, I will buy it by the gallon. Carp! It's a wonder that I ever learned to tie my shoes?!

Old 06-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #830
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran View Post
I recall seeing heat shrink tape a very long time ago, but I never got any.
And sorry, I have no idea where this was. It was a very long time ago as in pre-internet.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #831
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
I recall seeing heat shrink tape a very long time ago, but I never got any.
And sorry, I have no idea where this was. It was a very long time ago as in pre-internet.
http://www.buyheatshrink.com/heatshr...ation-tape.htm
Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #832
TedR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Note To Self...

When you have your bike up on a lift table, prepping it for a fast-approaching track-day...and you want everything just right...resist the urge to hurry and cut the easy corners.
Take the extra few minutes to strap the bike down securely to the lift table. Especially if the centerstand has been removed, and the bike is resting on its sidestand.

Had an...erm...'shop incident' this morning.
Came away with amazingly light cosmetic damage. Could have been faaaaar worse...

Lesson learned.

TedR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #833
FixerDave
KLR-650

Oddometer: 365
Ah, sigh, yet another one...

After 10 minutes of cursing while trying to put the brake pads back in the caliper, something you've easily done at least as half-dozen times, and then wasting another 10 minutes breaking out the shop manual to verify that, yes, the stupid spring clip does really go there, and then another 10 minutes to verify that, no, it can't go in the other way so it's not backwards, and sitting there thinking for yet another 10 minutes...

well, maybe you might want to see if you're trying to put said stupid spring clip in... not backwards, but upside-down.

sigh... I can't believe I did that. Well, doing that is not unusual. Wasting that much time to figure it out is a little out of the ordinary for me, so far. Some days are just not meant to be shop-days.

David...
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #834
fmartin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedR View Post
When you have your bike up on a lift table, prepping it for a fast-approaching track-day...and you want everything just right...resist the urge to hurry and cut the easy corners.
Take the extra few minutes to strap the bike down securely to the lift table. Especially if the centerstand has been removed, and the bike is resting on its sidestand.

Had an...erm...'shop incident' this morning.
Came away with amazingly light cosmetic damage. Could have been faaaaar worse...

Lesson learned.

Same here. Bike with no center stand (Kawi ER-6n), dropped from about 1.2 meters... came out with nothing but a broken footpeg, twisted handlebar and a little dent on fuel tank. Already replaced footpeg and handlebar, but that dent still makes me want to cry everytime I refuel.
Lesson learned, the hard way.
fmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #835
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Don't knock the sledgehammer off of the table saw and have it land on your little toe like I did last evening. DOH!

(At least I had hiking boots on so it wasn't as painful as it could've been.)
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #836
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Not all batteries have the poles aligned the same way. Good thing the gas station wasn't too far away, and carried flat 30 amp fuses. Only took four of them to figure out what the hell I was doing wrong... Real note to self: check that fuse between your shoulders first next time...

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #837
TREE
Interloper

Oddometer: 3,301
Do not (age 18) reassemble your carb with the slide backwards and wide F open then decide to bump start it down a parking garage ramp ending at a brick wall and 90 deg turn.
For some reason I changed my mind and bump started it on the flat floor heading towards a parked cadillac.
Barely managed to turn the key off as I laid it down and slid under the rear end. Still thinking about that brick wall........

Road Trips . . . Alaska, Himalayas, Labrador and Oz
TREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #838
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,328
Note to self: stop laying my Zumo 665 on the mud room table when I get home, the same table where the cat food bowls are. Apparently the cats did not like the new Friskies I gave them this morning because they both vomited, one on each side of the Zumo.

I don't think Garmin is going to warranty a defective product due to cat vomit.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #839
F16Viper68
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Oddometer: 840
When Super Gluing something on your bike, when you're alone at home, ENSURE you have the necessary tools, within arms reach, to detach the part have so idiotically Super Glued yourself to or have a supply of acetone within arms reach.

Earlier today I was walking about the house a Madstad windscreen bracket attached to my pointing finger, looking for nail polish remover.

Dave...
Old 06-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #840
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
When clearing out the cupboards before moving out of a house, do not pour the big container of Stove Top Stuffing into the disposal and sink and then turn the water on. (I had to remove the disposal and created a big mess on the floor.)
duck is offline   Reply With Quote