Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Charles Seguin OP
Noob4Life

Oddometer: 521
Avoid This Guy at El Slavador-Honduras Border!

He is a con artist. He almost got my brother and I for an extra $75 a peice. He DID get Sgt Marty for that same $75. If you see him kick him in the nuts for us. In the background is his partner, give him a kick in the nuts as well.

Hat Tip to Sgt Marty for the Photo.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,475
A simple way to avoid getting ripped off in general. Never trust or give money to anyone or any company that comes up to you or calls you or shows up in a parking lot, especially if it a) sounds too good to be true or b) it's a 'limited time offer' or c) they're very emphatic about you giving them money or d) get dodgy when asked simple questions and very especially e) if they react negatively to you not wanting to go along with it. That basic common sense would have saved me from any rip off I've had and certainly has saved me since I started putting that rule on myself.
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,528
Pretty typical of the area.

That boarder was difficult for me as well. A bunch of people came up to me saying that they worked for the Honduran Government. None of them were in uniform and all of them were happy to point out their ófficial´name tag. The guy that got my attention had a picture of some one else on it.

Just deal with CA until you get to Colombia. People will treat like a person there, not an opportunity.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
JogiCR
n00b

Oddometer: 6
same experience

funny and truth, we had he same experience, kick him for us too. Here is the picture. It is the guy on the left.
JogiCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:36 PM   #5
JogiCR
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thumbs down or here

I think he called himself Jose

it was on the border from El Salvador to Honduras, the road close to the pacific beach side. Picture was made in April 2008. This poor guy aged a lot in a few months.
JogiCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 787
What did he do?

For me, the Salvador->Honduras border was sketchy, not from the money changers, but from the customs guy with curly hair INSIDE the customs building.

He happily collected the money for me to "pay the bank" for ~$30, as it was sunday. He gave me receipts for everything and eventually stamped everything. I had no problems leaving Honduras.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
j_seguin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Long story short he makes you pay two different things you dont need to pay at places that make them look like parts of the official process. If you don´t ask questions and figure it out they will get you for an extra 70 dollars.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377792

j_seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
Martincito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Hi guys,
We just crossed the El Salvador-Honduras and Honduras-Nicaragua borders.
They are the worst border crossing. A lot of people offering you help, beggars, corrupt people.
I refused help for everybody and treated them quite bad. I did all the paper work by myself, took me 1 hour and a half and I paid around $40.
Spanish is my first language and I grew up in Argentina so I'm used to deal with corrupt people and other kind of scumbags and the whole thing was very difficult for me.
I can't imagine how hard it might be for American people.
S1000RR 2011
Martincito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
gatogato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martincito
Hi guys,
They are the worst border crossing. A lot of people offering you help, beggars, corrupt people.
I refused help for everybody and treated them quite bad. I did all the paper work by myself, took me 1 hour and a half and I paid around $40.
Spanish is my first language and I grew up in Argentina so I'm used to deal with corrupt people and other kind of scumbags and the whole thing was very difficult for me.
That is the key for dealing with border runners. It is unfortunate that it is necessary to act like an asshole when dealing with them but it is necessary. Remember that the one thing they see when you pull up is a dollar sign.
http://www.journeyrider.net
gatogato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #10
Teddy_VZLA
Trail Lover

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Hi guys,
Todavia me pregunto como diablos hacen los extranjeros que vienen a sur america para pasar por las fronteras, aqui en Venezuela tenemos el mismo problema de corrupcion y trabas para sacar un simple permiso o cualquier cosa.... admiro la valentia de esta gente!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
Charles Seguin OP
Noob4Life

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Hi guys,
I used to feel bad when I lost my patience with the ´helpers´ now I postively enjoy it. We paid about $40 as well after we got our stolen money back.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:56 PM   #12
RockiesTwin
Dfrag y0ur BrAin

Oddometer: 138
Ca - 4

So in the new"er" LonelyPlanet guide they make mention of the CA - 4 permit that allows 90 days in: Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Honduras. They say you basically only have to pay one time for all four countries but do say you may need to "remind" the Customs agents of such. Anyone have any experience regarding this???
RockiesTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #13
Martincito
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockiesTwin
So in the new"er" LonelyPlanet guide they make mention of the CA - 4 permit that allows 90 days in: Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Honduras. They say you basically only have to pay one time for all four countries but do say you may need to "remind" the Customs agents of such. Anyone have any experience regarding this???
That just apply to people. After El Salvador you don't have to do inmigration again till Costa Rica (Actually, you have to do it in Nicaragua and pay $7).
But that agreement doesn't apply to customs, so yu have to import and export the bike in every country.
S1000RR 2011
Old 11-11-2008, 07:57 AM   #14
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,119
Quote:
Hi guys,
Hola Martincito,

I work in Manhattan and live in Rockland. I was born in Uruguay and spent some time playing rugby in Arg.

Let me know when you're back in the NJ/NY area, I would like to see some pics of your travels.

Suerte!!
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #15
Martincito
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn
Hola Martincito,

I work in Manhattan and live in Rockland. I was born in Uruguay and spent some time playing rugby in Arg.

Let me know when you're back in the NJ/NY area, I would like to see some pics of your travels.

Suerte!!
I'll be back in March. we can get together for a beer.
I'm doing a ride report in the bmw forum of pelican parts.
That is the forum for BMW R1100s. I own one of those bike and I being hanging around fro a few yearrs in that forum that's why I'm doing my report over there.
This is the link
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...=1#post4289908
S1000RR 2011