Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #61
Eduardo
Eduardo

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
There's 4 pages about this particular crossing in this thread prior to my post for a reason. Drama at this border seems to the rule rather than the exception.

We've done 25 countries on bikes and hadn't had any major issues until this crossing. It is what it is.

I could add a fifth page of troubles at this border. I swore that I won't ever set a foot in Honduras again, until it changes....but don't hold your breath waiting for that. It's really too bad, because it is a beautiful country for scenery but the corruption ruins the experience.

You would think Honduras would realize that the drop in tourism due to their "theft is okay" attitude would make them wake up, but again, don't hold your breath. It's every dog for himself there, and screw everybody else.

And this ploy of being the press is great, right up to point where some militia, or cop with a rifle takes your camera, and more, to pay for a trumped up road violation, like almost happened to me last time I was there. To those that haven't had any trouble....consider yourself lucky.

Escape the Tundra: Tenth winter in Mexico and Guatemala 2009/2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531184
Minnesota to Guatemala 2008/2009 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423949
Eduardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #62
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
......rather than fake, I had some business cards professionally printed, with "Press/Prensa" at the top. Combined with a camera, they're awesome.
Well, there's that, and the fact that you look a bit like Geraldo Rivera.

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #63
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post
I could add a fifth page of troubles at this border.
Funny, your post is the first of the 5th page

Quote:
I swore that I won't ever set a foot in Honduras again, until it changes....but don't hold your breath waiting for that. It's really too bad, because it is a beautiful country for scenery but the corruption ruins the experience.

You would think Honduras would realize that the drop in tourism due to their "theft is okay" attitude would make them wake up, but again, don't hold your breath. It's every dog for himself there, and screw everybody else.
Yeah it is too bad about the "Rob the tourists blind before they even step foot in the country" attitude. Every dollar they take at the border is a dollar not spent in the country. On top of that, lots of people (like the 4 in our group) will pass through the country as fast as possible and spend as little as possible while there because of the border experience.

I guess when you have a military coup less than 2yrs ago, where the President is kidnapped and exiled, then maybe tourism isn't you biggest concern

Unfortunate all the same.

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #64
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,063
Quote:
And this ploy of being the press is great, right up to point where some militia, or cop with a rifle takes your camera, and more, to pay for a trumped up road violation, like almost happened to me last time I was there. To those that haven't had any trouble....consider yourself lucky.
But we ARE the press. Every time we post here, we are reporting. I always tell them that I write for a motorcycle adventure website.

The press-card thing works. For example, a few days ago I was in a tiny Cuango, Panama cantina. There were some really beautiful women. Tall black women. I was the only white guy within fifty miles. They thought I was cute. They flirted with me. I asked them if I could take photos. A minute later, the bar manager was in my face, yelling that I could not take photos without their consent.

I whipped out my little card, with big red letters, "PRESS/PRENSA." I told him that my writing was for adventure tourists who might come to Cuango and get drunk. His attitude changed. I kept taking photos. People started buying me beers.

I'm telling you, a big camera and a professional business card will get you out of an awful lot of trouble. No euphamism implied with the term "big camera." But a real DSLR will get you farther than a cheap point-and-shoot. I really like the helmet-cam idea, too, except that on this last trip, I was driving a landrover defender instead of riding a motorcycle.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #65
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
I guess when you have a military coup less than 2yrs ago, where the President is kidnapped and exiled, then maybe tourism isn't you biggest concern .
I'm sure you mean legally removed from office for breaking the constitution.
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #66
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ashman View Post
Shooting up his house, arresting him in his pjs and dumping him in Costa Rica Whether it was legal or not, the result is the same, a disorganized unstable country. Most (including the UN) refused to recognize the new gov't as legit.

However, you are correct, the ousting was totally legal.

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #67
bananaman
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ashman View Post
As a Panamanian I totally agree with this. Sure it caused some temporary instability, and the border is a total PITA, but it is against the law for a sitting president of Honduras to change the constitution and basically become President for Life. The alternative would be... like Venezuela.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #68
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
The alternative would be... like Venezuela.
Hell yes, free gas I´m in as a tourist I am so looking forward to Venezuela cheap life blood I´m thinking they will have to kick me out of the country.

Honduras was a mofoer of a border crossing to get out, getting in on the Caribbean coast was decievingly simple and peaceful the exit was a royal PITA but it could have been worse, mostly I believe because I don´t speak Spanish worth a damn. I´m taking a boat from Potosi, NIC back to La Union, El Sal just to spite them next go around if I can arrange it

If not I will give them hell with my new found second language skillset
Old 01-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #69
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,211
I think when I go back through Honduras I will hire Jose as my helper and see how it goes.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #70
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
I think when I go back through Honduras I will hire Jose as my helper and see how it goes.

When I grow up I want to be just like you Vincent

We still need to meet up down South for beers and stories, I´ll be watching out for you man
Old 01-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #71
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,211
Quote:
There were some really beautiful women. Tall black women.
Pics please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
When I grow up I want to be just like you Vincent

We still need to meet up down South for beers and stories, I´ll be watching out for you man
I figure that we trashed the shit out of this kid (for good reason) so I'm willing to give him another chance. If he tries to screw me it will be very bad for his business I think. The last helper I used in Honduras, I took his picture, and told him that if he tried to screw me, his face would be all over the internet. I was through in an hour and change, 5 bucks.

I am moving north amigo. I should be in VZ in about a month I figure.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #72
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
Given the comparison between the amount of trouble you had, Oso Blanco, (lots) and the amount I had (little to none), I'd have to wonder whether your attitude had something to do with it.

I crossed into and out of Honduras three times at three different crossings and never had any particular problems. Never spent more than maybe two hours max--and the longest I waited was during lunch hour, when everyone else, local or not, was waiting along with me. No bribes. No one gave me the finger. I didn't call anyone "scumbag," even quietly to myself. No one even sent me to the wrong office, or misrepresented the process in any way. People did try to con me a bit here and there, but I just kept grinning and telling them no.

I met some good people in Honduras, saw some interesting stuff, learned a few things, did some pleasant riding through nice terrain.

So what was the problem again?

Mark

Ahhh, El Amatillo, where western expectations collide with latin american culture.

I think I posted my experience in the thread already and didn't find the border too troubling, hell, I liked it so much I crossed 2 Honduras borders in one day.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust

Misery Goat screwed with this post 01-30-2011 at 05:18 AM Reason: spwelling
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #73
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,424
I'm spending half of April in Honduras, I think I'll take the handlers at the border out for dinner
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #74
bananaman
transcontimental

While we're talking about Honduras... I'm not going to say anything about this crash. I'm just putting it here. It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster View Post
Sadly the stpry is true.

The rider in question was Australian Matty Lee. I met him and his English riding partner Ben in Zacatecas back in November.
Two days ago I met Ben by chance (and his father who's flown in for morale support) and heard about Matty's death.

See Ben & Matty's website for news as they release it:
http://www.benandmatty.com/
From their blog:
I will keep this brief for now.
As many of you already know as keen followers of our adventures. Matty was killed whilst riding his bike in Honduras on the 18 January 2011.
Details of his death are being kept off the pages for now as it is still a very traumatic thing for myself and his entire family to deal with and I would really appreciate keeping details of the accident away from public places. If you wish for more information then I will endeavour to email everyone as soon as is possible given the huge amount of work ahead of us to get Matty home to his family.
I was riding behind Matty when this occurred. It was a beautiful day and we were having a good time. He was really enjoying the trip and loving Honduras and I feel thankful that his last few weeks and months that I spent were him were very happy times for both of us. I was largely unharmed in the accident and was thankfully able to help the police with the immediate aftermath of the event and now as I help his family deal with the difficult processes ahead.
I will be travelling with Matty back to Australia, back to Townsville where his family are once arrangements are made.
Matty will always travel with me forever more and you can be sure that we haven’t finished this trip yet! Watch this space.
Much love to all our fans
Ben
Old 01-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #75
ChangoGS
Banned

Oddometer: 305
Tramitador

Personally , the process is smoother with a "Tramitador". Usually not one that is toooo pushy or insistive on their services. Besides , it would be better to maybe pay for the service than spend hours and hours delayed at the border....... Up on the northern entrances into Honduras it is
completely different than this particular crossing.

Time for some jams....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TWUo...eature=related
ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote