Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #76
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,377
I crossed back (north) into Honduras the other day at the Los Manos x-ing. It was pleasant and drama free. An hour (or so) out of Nicaragua and into Honduras.

Honduras is great with wonderful people and some amazing riding. It seems that one border is the exception rather than the rule. Just an FYI.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #77
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
I crossed at Los Manos going south and they will hold your TVIP for the the return trip north so it only took 15minutes on the way north because the aduana just look up the permit number pull your file and away you go!

In your ride report you state less border hassles if you are alone and I have to agree. Nice central park in Danli eh?
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #78
flatmo
Americano

Oddometer: 569
Oh El Amatillo... even the Hondurans are afraid of it.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #79
sjrm1928
n00b

Oddometer: 6
damn that guy ripped me and my buddy off too MF
sjrm1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #80
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,160
I just passed down to Panama and back over the last 2.5 months with little spanish and never a " helper" . To me , paying extra to be moved to the head of the line is not the image of "american" I want to project to my fellow crossers . Only got hit for $3 coming out of Honduras into Nicaragua @ El Espino by that fucker with the rope across the road just 50 yds before you get to the real border. Wanted to " hold" my DL until all the paper work was done. Then cost me $3 to get it back. I asked for a "recibo" but none was coming. On the return trip he's the last guy you see so all my paper work was done . I hid myself behind a truck until I was right at the rope , which was down, and then just gassed it over the rope and pass his crooked ass . I could hear him and his co hearts yelling at me as I flipped him off. "And down the road I went".
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #81
ApexJeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Image?

Image of an American, sneaking across simple border check? Not paying for a helper is American? I respectfully disagree as good helpers provide a great service for us not speaking Spanish, they know the system., know where to copy and once you let them know the price to pay, its, simple, easy and well worth the small fee.
ApexJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #82
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,160
Hi Jeff , Paying to be moved to the head of the line is the picture of the "ugly american" in my mind . More so when the line is made up of poor citizens of the country in question, and we the rich white gringos show up are a moved forward by the power of the $. What do you think is happening when this person is " helping" you ? They are pushing your paper work ahead of other citizens who have been waiting by having co-conspirators hold places at the front of the line & or flat out bribes to other co-conspirators/officials . My experience is that once past the group of coyotes/helpers that try to bum rush every traveler at every border , you will find the citizens and officials friendly and helpful even for the spanish impaired like myself. Others at the border are watching this game of "helper/gringo" play out and once they see that you will not pay the bribe I've had citizens and even border officials themselves walk me around or get me going in the right direction. On the other hand, refusing to pay bribes or empower corrupt officials strengths our image as americans and motorcyclist. While confronting the corrupt official face to face may have been a more "honest" response to corruption than just running pass him I'm not sure it would have worked out as well for me and I'm sure he got my point and I got my $3. Thats my 2 cents about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexJeff View Post
Image of an American, sneaking across simple border check? Not paying for a helper is American? I respectfully disagree as good helpers provide a great service for us not speaking Spanish, they know the system., know where to copy and once you let them know the price to pay, its, simple, easy and well worth the small fee.
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #83
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexJeff View Post
I have to agree with Jeff on this. I speak resonable spanish and still use helpers in a new situation, I set out the ground rules and payment at the start. I have never been taken to the front of the line but have been shown the locations of the various windows and copy shops all for a very small fee( under 4.00 in all cases) treat them like a buisness and they treat you well, it helps to be able to read people and stop the BS in its tracks.

A couple of times just by chance I have met the helper later that night in a comedor or on the street and shared a friendly beer or Coke and did not feel I had the image of the ugly Canadian, in fact it showed me some insight to how they try to provide a living for themselves and their families.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #84
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
That Jose guy is still up to his tricks at the border. When we arrived there, a green SUV swerved in front of us just as we were getting to the border. All 4 doors popped open and 4 guys ran toward us, 1 of them was this Jose joker. It kinda freaked me out.
We manages to ride past the SUV and go a short ways to the first checkpoint. We began the paperwork process as half dozen other helpers pestered us. Soon Jose stuck his face in the door at the photocopy office. I pointed my finger at him and said " you are the guy on the Internet" !!!!
His face sank as he knew he was had . All the other helpers roared with laughter as he slank away like the snake that he is.
We kept going to the next place for more stamps and papers. One guy kept going along with us and he was told we know what to do and where, and we are not paying. He kept going with us, opening doors for us etc. At one point we didn't have the correct currency for the insurance and he summoned a money guy to swap out some bills.
After it was all done we gave him $5USD or so. It was worth five bucks to see all the others leave us alone when he spoke English to us.
These guys know the power of the Internet . He was totally honest and never touched our documents or demanded $ or any false moves
I told him ( Osmond ) that we all know Jose, and he is done for due to the Internet.
So when you get to the border, this Osmond guy is an ok guy.

This is his buddy who " watches the bikes"

We gave him a couple 3 bucks too. For "doing his job"
The whole experience was pretty hilarious

Hektoglider screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 06:09 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #85
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,058
Hey Hecktoglider- will you be back home by mid/late summer? Because you're supposed to give a border crossing presentation at this year's LARR.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #86
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Hekto, if you are coming back through Mexico, PM me. I want to send you a route you are going to really like, based on your previous likings.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #87
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
No sabe, cada dia is Nuevo Dia

Mike We will be back to ride the Veracruz stuff. Just don't know when
Old 04-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #88
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,676
Some scary reading in there.

We have not used a "helper" yet and my Kiwi blood doesn't wonna pay for one either, we have been getting by no problem at all other than standing for an hour at one while the TVIP border man hopped up half way through our paperwork and left for lunch with three minutes worth of stuff to complete

Worth employing these guys or steering clear?, we are only going to cut through the bottom of Honduras in a day.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #89
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Some scary reading in there.

Worth employing these guys or steering clear?, we are only going to cut through the bottom of Honduras in a day.
If you think that the reading is scary, wait till you don't see the mile deep pot holes in the roads of Honduras.

Watch the bus and truck drivers coming at you. They have a better view and knowledge of the road. If there going slow and weaving back and forth across the road, it's because there trying to avoid the holes.

You wont have missed a thing in Honduras if you don't stop.
2014 Ride Report: Ring of Ireland in 30 days
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #90
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,943
And avoiding pot holes takes precedence to avoiding moto riders.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote