Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #91
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,389
Already super experienced with WWII potholes in Belize, just had to slow the whole thing down to avoid damage/flatties not to mention fatigue wrestling the bike around them .

I have not heard too may people rave about Honduras so happy to skip it, pitty we can't bypass it in its entirety.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #92
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
We never saw any potholes really at all in Honduras as we didn't go towards Leon. We took the northern route to the tranquil crossing into Nicaragua.
As far as these helpers, how prepared are you? How well do you know what needs to happen with the paperwork ? Realise that if you want to save $5 and "do it yourself " and take way longer, or be quick and efficient and be able to make the other crossing into Nicaragua 3 hours later........
Everyone needs to make choices.

Moto Kiwis we used this to study up and made notes. We were telling the helpers where we needed to go next at each step in the process. It's a step by step thing:
http://liferemotely.com/trip-shenanigans/el-salvador/169-el-salvador-to-honduras-border-crossing
Hope it goes smooth for you as it did for us
Also check out RTWPauls RR for some good photos and tips

Hektoglider screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 01:00 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #93
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Honduras is a big country (in local terms, at least) with lots to see and explore. Racing through on the PanAm will give you a taste of the worst of it--as is true in quite a few countries. The rest of the country is fine.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #94
Hektoglider
One with Life

I agree, we want to return and check out the rest of it, someday.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #95
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post

http://liferemotely.com/trip-shenani...order-crossing

Also check out RTWPauls RR for some good photos and tips
Yeap already have the Live Life Remotely one, good info, will check out RTWPauls one as well.

We are not concerned for the $5.00, it is more about self accomplishment but agree that should not come at too higher price time and stress wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
Honduras is a big country (in local terms, at least) with lots to see and explore. Racing through on the PanAm will give you a taste of the worst of it--as is true in quite a few countries. The rest of the country is fine.

Mark
Interesting to hear that Mark, we have other RTW traveller mates who got totally hammered in the whole country the entire time they were there being law abiding citizens and all, they rated it as the worst country ever by a country mile and they HAVE travelled extensively, that was 3 years ago now.

I don't usually like to blaze straight through but Honduras thus far hasn't left a glossy invite at least to us.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #96
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
No accounting for taste. As I said, the Pan Am taken with a sense of urgency is the worst possible slice of Honduras. There's lots more to the country, and virtually all of it (Tegucigalpa excepted) is plenty nice enough--sometimes (diving, for example) genuinely world class, sometimes (Copan Ruinas and surroundings) merely pretty damn fine.

Believe whom you please, but take it all with a grain of salt.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #97
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post

Believe whom you please, but take it all with a grain of salt.

Mark
Yeap agree with that, timing is making us choose a bit in this neck of the woods and thus far Honduras seems the least appealing option, Nicaragua is offering us a lot more.

Also heard bad things about Costa USA to, will see when we get there too
Old 04-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #98
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Yeap agree with that, timing is making us choose a bit in this neck of the woods and thus far Honduras seems the least appealing option, Nicaragua is offering us a lot more.
Actually I was stopped 3 times in Nicaragua by the police for bogus speeeding and never in Honduras. I did not pay the roadside tickets, always talked with respect and humor and they said okay have a good day!! Did not ride the Pan Am in Honduras so can not comment on that stretch. As I've said on other posts I did pay a few helpers when it was confusing and never paid more than $3.00, I just set the price up front, which you will be able to do now with your new Spanish skills.
Cheers
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:45 AM   #99
Hektoglider
One with Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
Hey Hecktoglider- will you be back home by mid/late summer? Because you're supposed to give a border crossing presentation at this year's LARR.
I've been wanting to go to your rally since you started it 5 years ago. Not sure how things will end up.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #100
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,955
Honduras is fine. I didnt even have issues on the Pan Am, just standard Central America stuff to deal with, not a big deal. Its a pretty diverse country and well worth at least a few days of your time IMO.

FWIW, while traveling on the bike for a couple of years I met many people that advised me to steer clear of this place or that place. I never took the advice, and it turned out to be a good call.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #101
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
I've been wanting to go to your rally since you started it 5 years ago. Not sure how things will end up.
Maybe we'll have a beer at the Fall Colors party.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:29 AM   #102
Solohobo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Borders are borders. Usually the people that complain have NOT traveled much via land, and then they whine when things cost them. You dont know spanish, and then you want to cross fast, and have someone else do the work, but complain when you pay $75? Umm, do it yourself for $40. Thats service.

Borders are ripe with underhanded money changers and touts, around the world, you have to either ignore them all, or, talk to a few and determine who can get the job done right and agree on a price, write it down, and pay only the fees they need to pay for you at first.

Did you agree to a price prior, that is the key. I tend to look for the older guys that are not trying so hard, they know all the young punks, and usually speak some English...always wear sunglasses when negotiating...
Adventure Travel to Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, China, Honk Kong, Macau, France, Italy, EU, Morocco, Turkey, USA National Parks, camping, fishing, hiking, surfing, scuba diving, trekking, river rafting, new cultures, new cuisine, new languages.
Solohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #103
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solohobo View Post
Borders are borders. Usually the people that complain have NOT traveled much via land,
When you make such statements as this, you have thrown all riders into the same group. Tread lightly, not everybody fit your group.

I would suggest you go back to the beginning of this thread and check out a few of the people who have posted here. A few of the riders that have posted here have considerable saddle time in Central and South America. They have taken the time to post here, and are giving fair warning to other travelers who have to deal with the fools at the borders. Be a little grateful, I'm sure that you have gained experience and help from this forum.

2010 Ride Report: Orange Beach, AL to Jaco Beach, Costa Rica
2011 Ride Report: Costa Rica to Panama back to Costa Rica
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #104
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 725
better question is: why reply to a nearly one year old thread as if your reply was pertinent?
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #105
Hektoglider
One with Life

This may be an older thread, but I bet Jose is still there waiting for riders to arrive. That's what this thread is about. Beware of Jose. Glad to see it bumped for riders going that way.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk