User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,162
Wicked HPRC Electronics Hard Tank Case Version 2.0 - Think Inside the Box

About a year and a half ago I put together this Pelican tank box, using a SW-Motech gascap quick release mounting system.

The Pelican has worked well for me overall, but there's a few things I wanted to do different.
Preparing for a 3 month motorbike adventure this winter, having way too much time on my hands "working" while in rehearsals, and wanting to upgrade my previous design and electronics I came up with this new gadget box.

I've been changing from Pelican to the HPRC Cases for work simply because I like the overall design better, and they are slightly lighter than a Pelican. The HPRC 2100 is slightly smaller than a Pelican 1200, perfect for me.

Here's my workshop on the road.

Without babbling too much about why I went with the components that I used, I had wanted a much larger screen with up to date graphics so in comes the $299 ebay refurb Garmin Nuvi 5000. The Garmin uses 12v power going straight into it, so I just ordered a cheap $15 wall ac plug off ebay and cut the end I needed off, using the extra wall PSU to supply 12v power to test the box. (I'm 1000's of miles from my bike)
Since the Nuvi's not anything proof I bought a Aqua Box for it to live in.
After bending a piece of 1/4" aluminum, drilling a few holes, and covering it with gaff tape I had a solid, waterproof mount. Sorry I didn't make too many photo's of this part, but you get the idea...
Here you see the mount with the power and audio line from the GPS into the box with some silicone to seal it.

One of the things I wanted to make more reliable was the way power came into the box. On the pelican I had a panel mount 9 pin connector with cable whips going directly from the connector to the electronics. I wanted to have things more separated, making it easier to tech so I came up with this.
Battery -> Fuse -> 6 circuit cable -> XLR coneectors -> terminal block -> individual gadgets.
I'm running 2 separate circuits to the box from the battery.

I started with using a male and female Neutrik 5 pin XLR connector that is waterproof and suited for the job.

Wanting to get away from needing to buy any kind of batteries on the road, and wanting better, louder sound I did away with my Boost-A-Roo (that I thought worked OK) for a AmpliRider. Having a volume knob now is a bonus.
I made my own 1/8" audio cable's to go to and from the volume knob, GPS, iPod, XM. I went with 6 Neutrik Right Angle 1/8" audio connectors to help save space

Next comes the XM. Since the Nuvi doesn't have XM, I needed to add a small receiver so I picked up a like new/used Pioneer Inno on ebay for $75. The only problem with the Inno is that it uses 5v power so I would have to use it's power supply. The auction came with the car kit so I had the PSU, but it was kinda bulky and needed a 12v socket to plug into.
I took the case off, cut the board down, soldered some wires on it, shortened the power cable going to the Inno, stuck it in a balloon, wrapped it in e-tape, stuck some velcro on it and here you go. A PSU wired directly in that takes up half the space with no left over cable.

It's not going to win any design contests, but works for me.

Also you'll see the 12v accessory socket I added for other electronics chargers; iPod, iPhone, Nikon, etc...

I added a Switchcraft 3.5mm Stereo Panel Mount Connector along with the AmpliRiders volume knob to the front of the box.

SOme velcro and tool box liner held on with foam adhesive finished the job.
So now I have a quick release hard tank case that is waterproof, lockable, powered, with a big screen GPS that has 3D terrain views and spoken directions, going into a mixer/amp along with the XM and iPod or iPhone.

Now if I can just make it to January so I can ride!

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 11-01-2008 at 08:00 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
DNTOUCH
Need more time to ride.

Oddometer: 785
I like the idea but why the Iphone and Ipod? I like the box for the GPS mount i might have to do this over our 'oh so super' winter .

Any issues with turning the bars and hitting the box?
Old 11-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTOUCH
I like the idea but why the Iphone and Ipod? I like the box for the GPS mount i might have to do this over our 'oh so super' winter .

Any issues with turning the bars and hitting the box?
Thanks. I use the ipod for music (120 GB) and the iphone for everything but music (8GB) No real reason to hook it up to headphones really, the last thing I want to do when I ride is talk on the phone... but I could if i wanted.

No issues with the bars hitting with the larger Pelican so the HPRC should be fine.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 11-01-2008 at 07:46 PM
Old 11-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
DNTOUCH
Need more time to ride.

Oddometer: 785
Thanks i looked at thier site and found a case that suites my needs for a top box. I would just need to remove the wheels and the pull handle.. It gives 65 litres of internal volume also.

Question though where did you get yours.? Is there a cheaper supplier? This would be around 200.00 but i want to see if i can get one "naked" meaning no foam and wheels or retracting handle.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTOUCH
Thanks i looked at thier site and found a case that suites my needs for a top box. I would just need to remove the wheels and the pull handle.. It gives 65 litres of internal volume also.

Question though where did you get yours.? Is there a cheaper supplier? This would be around 200.00 but i want to see if i can get one "naked" meaning no foam and wheels or retracting handle.

I've bought mine at B+H Photo. They have different models with and without foam or inserts. Not sure about the wheels.
I put a Pelican lid organizer in my 2550 that is sweet, also highly recommended
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....y=0&Go=submit

HPRC cases
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...cSubmit=Submit
I have a 2550 that's going on my tail to replace a Pelican 1510.
My Nikon DSLR gear is in a HPRC 2300. Perfect size for a body and a few lenses.

Nice looking stuff. Italian designed, and the latches are great.

LostRider.com
Old 06-04-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
Ebbs15
Parttime Saddletramp

Oddometer: 501
one question... where did you get the quick tank release? I've only seen them sold on tank bags... did you already have one and just removed it?

thanks
Ebbs15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
Dead Eye Dan
Questionable Reputation

Oddometer: 116
By the way, when I hooked up my XMP3, also 5 volts, I found this cool 5 volt power supply (not stuck inside a cigarette plug):

http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-vehi...it-p-4438.html
Old 06-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
mgdavis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Very nicely executed.

Two concerns I'd have if it was my bike.
- Is that amount of mass going to wear out the tank mount or filler opening? I have zero experience with the mount, so I don't know if it would be affected.
-If you ever come off the front of that bike you're going to leave behind a couple or three rather precious bits of yourself on the side of that box. I've always followed the "don't put anything in your tank bag that you wouldn't want to use as a pillow" rule.

Again though, very nicely executed set-up. I like the idea of everything being housed in one waterproof, quickly removable assembly.
mgdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15
one question... where did you get the quick tank release? I've only seen them sold on tank bags... did you already have one and just removed it?

thanks
You can now (supposedly) buy the tank bag side as a "powered bag upgrade" kit, to put the powered version on an older bag.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
Ebbs15
Parttime Saddletramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdavis
Very nicely executed.

- Is that amount of mass going to wear out the tank mount or filler opening? I have zero experience with the mount, so I don't know if it would be affected.
-If you ever come off the front of that bike you're going to leave behind a couple or three rather precious bits of yourself on the side of that box. I've always followed the "don't put anything in your tank bag that you wouldn't want to use as a pillow" rule.

Again though, very nicely executed set-up. I like the idea of everything being housed in one waterproof, quickly removable assembly.
the way it's mounted on the 800GS... I'd say it'd probably just break the "tank" cover... but yeah on another bike with it actually mounted to the tank like that... hummm... could be harmfull to my favorite part of my anatomy if I'm headed over the bars
Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
Ebbs15
Parttime Saddletramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W
You can now (supposedly) buy the tank bag side as a "powered bag upgrade" kit, to put the powered version on an older bag.
powered version? all I'm wanting is the mount. :idk: I may get the bag for my RR... and when I do make the purchase of the 800GS... I'll use the pellican up front...

think I'm gonna try getting a cheap Solo cowl and mount the pellican to that for my camera...
Old 06-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdavis

I had a pelican tank box/gps on my r12r for at least 40,000 miles, if you've seen my RR's you notice I'm a wee bit hard on things... I did crack the gascap assembly at one point, after basically jumping my R while riding off tarmac in the dirt. A new one cost me $50... not bad for the miles I put on, and I wouldn't expect it to break under "normal" riding conditions - it was very extreme riding that cracked it and thats all it did... didn't break off or anything.
I don't expect problems and have "tested" the mount on the 8GS with 12,000+ hard miles...

As for safetly... I understand the concerns, but with my experience with the box, I have no doubt that in a frontal incident that one of the many plastic connections (bike frame to fake tank cover, tank cover to ring, ring to quick release, release plate to box) would break right off with force of a body hittting it. While it's proven to be secure while riding or falling, I also have no doubt that a good tug on it would break it off, and why it's quick release so I can just bring it in with me anytime.

If anyone's considering building one of these, I would reccomend using the 3-pin XLR, I originally was going to use the extra circuits for audio, but it's not neccisary, and the 3-pin is much stronger. I haven't had a problem with my 5-pin, but it's not needed...

Here's where I bought it, I think the cheapest way to get the mount is to buy the Daypack II bag to get the mount, then you need to get the right ring for your bike.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/441/

Here's the new and improved (less crap) version, my Lumix LX-3 goes where the purple thing is with foam to hold it in place, and that pin in the center is out of my broken foot from last year to remind me how fragile I really am while riding...

Alternative GPS mount for a Garmin Colorado 400T, using some velcro and a piece of shock cord that you can buy at REI. Again, Chitown tested and approved mounting method.

I have since returned the Colorado and will be mounting a Garmin 478 on the box with a modified Garmin marine mount and since the GPS I have is back to having XM, I won't need the Inno charger in here either.

Good luck, and for God's sake if you build one of these I'd love to see it!
It's kind of pricey, takes some work to get it build, but having a everything-proof, lockable, quick-removable, powered tank box is priceless on long trip, or just around town.
Cheers

LostRider.com
Old 06-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #13
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
powered version? all I'm wanting is the mount. :idk: I may get the bag for my RR... and when I do make the purchase of the 800GS... I'll use the pellican up front...

think I'm gonna try getting a cheap Solo cowl and mount the pellican to that for my camera...
Yes, powered mount. They used to make a plain mount and bag. Now they make a powered one (power connectors built into each side of the mount). So they supposedly offer an "upgrade" kit that is just the new-style mounts so you can turn an old bag into a powered bag. So either buy the upgrade kit to get just the mount WITH power connectors, or find someone that wants to upgrade to a powered one and buy their old mount.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #14
Ebbs15
Parttime Saddletramp

Does that Aqua box allow you to still use the gps? I mean I assume the GPS is touch screen, does it pickup your inputs through gloves, and the clear cover?

I'm still a purchase of my 800 away from even starting this... (so probably 6 months at the earliest) but I'm all about the research.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #15
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Does that Aqua box allow you to still use the gps? I mean I assume the GPS is touch screen, does it pickup your inputs through gloves, and the clear cover?
Yes, it works pretty well through the aqua box, even with gloves on. I would recommend getting a spare AB screen cover because they do wear out after a few months of intense use.

LostRider.com