User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
JeffS77 OP
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,184
Tire Question Cheng Shin C180/C186

ok now getting the ball rolling for a XS650 scrambler for my winter project(haha its so. cal. we dont really have a winter ) i found two tires i like. cant really find speed or weight ratings on either. was hopeing some one here may have run them before

this is the C186 trials tire. i have run them before on older lighter two stroke dual sports and they seemed fine but never on a heavy bike at highway speed . front is 4ply rear in 6 ply. any thoughts? or has anyone done this

Cheng shin C180
i realy like this one. just like a dunlop K70 but about half the price. hard to find info on one website said N rated (87mph i think) fronts are 4 ply the rear is 6ply as well . anybody run these. i like the old tyle/ flat track look. deep enough tread i think they will handle fire road conditions well but i just dont want them blowing apart on the freeway

thanks,
Jeff

p.s. yes i know my grammar suck
JeffS77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Cheng Shin loosely translates into Cheap Shit.

Seriously, the only thing I'd use those for are rim protectors.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,104
I had a Cheng Shin tire the Nighthawk and suddenly it wobbled a lot and the tire started rubbing against the swingarm (not a ton of clearance to begin with, but the tire started out with plenty). Handling obviously rapidly deteriorated.

I replaced it with a Dunlop D404 and the handling is far, far better. I think it boils down to the old "you get what you pay for".

On the other hand, I've been running the same Maxxis (which is actually a Cheng Shin brand) ProMaxx tire on the front and it's lasted around 7,000 miles (the matching rear lasted about 4,000 miles) so far with plenty of tread to go.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
Armadillofz1
Retarded Motardian

Oddometer: 745
cheng shin used to be listed in the tucker/rocky (nemco for you old timers) catalog as rim savers. meaning they were only good for rolling your bike around the shop on.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
JeffS77 OP
cheap bastard

hmm. i hear alot of mixed things about them. i ran a set on my xl500.. there barracuda street tire on the front and the himax on the rear for maybe 4,000 miles the front is in good shape the rear squared off a bit but that was do to a lot of freeway straight line riding. i think there products are ok and they may be a little hit or miss. i have even ran the C186 trials tire on a old flat track bike and they worked really well..i'm just concered on how these tire will hold up on a heavy bike. the 6 ply rear is a little reasureing but i'm afraid of over heating an allready fairly slow speed tire on a heavy bike. end results could be very very bad
Old 11-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
bpw
r65 PD

Oddometer: 205
I run cheng shin c858 on my KLR and even ran a set on the r65 I used to have when I wanted to head into the woods. Thought they would be crap but have been quite pleased with them and just ordered my third set.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:05 AM   #7
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,339
I doubt if the Cheng Shin is going to kill you - fit for purpose and all that.But it's a budget tyre,and you will get what you pay for.The genuine Dunlop K70 is now made in Japan,and will most likely have a better compound....they are 4 ply and S speed rated in 4.00 x 18.

They have a 100% aspect ration - wide as they are tall.A lot of people look and them and say they are square and will handle bad.They handle real well.The best tyre I've ever used in the wet - I used to look for manhole covers in the wet to get a bit of a slide going,it wouldn't slide in just a wet road without some drastic action.Very good in the gravel - and if you watch On Any Sunday you will see them working very well on dirt tracks too.

I have just got two I'm fitting right now.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:18 AM   #8
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,385
I can't believe all this bad mouthing of the Cheng Shin tyres, I wonder how many of the posters have actually used them? I have, I fitted them to my old T100A, they are great tyres, over here in the UK they are used by a lot of motorcycle couriers, because they last well, and have good road manners.
I will be fitting the K70 look alike to my Road Rocket when the Speedmaster2 wears low. The only thing I have found wrong that is worth mentioning, was a corroded valve in a new inner tube I bought, so those are worth pulling just to check.

Maxxis are also worth a look for some old style track tyres.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #9
JeffS77 OP
cheap bastard

thanks for the response guy...yup i think i'm gonna bite the bullet and buy the k70 look a likes... i just cant justify spending a lot on the real k70's when i dont think they will really be all that much better then the cheng shin
Old 11-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #10
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,239
I've used C180 on an old Honda scrambler, and they were great tires. Handled well on pavement, and in all but the loosest gravel. I never rode them in mud, so I can't offer an opinion. They wore very well, too. I have little doubt that they gave up some grip on the pavement in exchange for the long wear, but they were as grippy as I needed, and I've been known to scrape pegs on occasion.

I've also used the C186 trials tires, and liked them well enough that I'm planning to buy another set. Though they are street-legal, they don't wear as well as the C180 on pavement, as the C186 compound is much softer. They are great as trials tires, for a not-so-serious trials rider like me, anyway.

BTW, you can't post a thread and mention Cheng Shin tires without the haters popping up to bad-mouth them. Maybe long ago they were crappy, but that's not the case anymore. More likely, the disdain for Cheng Shin is just xenophobia.

Cowboy screwed with this post 11-24-2008 at 12:34 PM
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,069
Another cheap option, although it does not look quite as good, is the Shinko 244: http://www.bikebandit.com/product/9877

Good all around tire, comes in 18 and 19" sizes and CHEAP!
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #12
ddennis669
Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77
was hopeing some one here may have run them before

this is the C186 trials tire. i have run them before on older lighter two stroke dual sports and they seemed fine but never on a heavy bike at highway speed . front is 4ply rear in 6 ply. any thoughts?

or has anyone done this
Cheng shin C180
i realy like this one. just like a dunlop K70 but about half the price. hard to find info on one website said N rated (87mph i think) fronts are 4 ply the rear is 6ply as well . anybody run these.
I have run both. The C180 on a Royal Enfield 500 Bullet and currently use the C186 on a BMW R75/6 sidecar rig.

The C180 worked well enough as a "period correct" road tire. The Enfield, even with 535cc, bigger carb and longer duration/higher lift cams, didn't stress them on tight mountain roads. Would modern tires perform better? Probably. But then modern bike would perform better too. I assume that all out performance is not your goal.

I am curently using the C186 trials tires (4.00x18, 3.00x19) on my sidecar bike. This combination is much heavier than your 650. I have, on three occaisions, run the sidecar from the Carrizo to Frazier Park, and then down I-5 to Griffith Park, at 70+ mph, and they have not yet exploded.

Doug "Mr. Sidecar" Bingham, of Sidestrider.com, recommended these tires stating, "Sidecars rigs chew up even the best of tires in a hurry, might as well save some money.".

I have found them to be a little squirmy at first, due to the tall knobs flexing under the severe side loads of the BMW. They are a trials pattern after all, without the 2 ply sidewall of real trials tires, designed for traction at slow speeds. The 6 ply rating stiffens them up for rougher duty.

I have another set ready to go, as well as a set of the C180 K70 copies. I think the K70 pattern, with less knob flex will be a better handling tire, at speed, but may not last as long for my situation.

Just for a point of reference, one on-line vendor I checked, lists the Dunlop K70s at $56.78 for the 4.00x18, and $53.43 for the 3.25x19 ($110.21 total). They list the C180 at $41.08 for the 4.00x18, and $30.05 for the 3.25x19 ($71.15 total), and for my favorite "modern" tire, the Avon AM26 Roadrider can be purchased in 4.00x18 for $80.96 and 3.25x19 for $66.32 ($147.28). total).
ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:08 AM   #13
bomberdave
black cloud wandering

Oddometer: 812
i run the cheng shins on my 53 bmw. they are totally adaquate tires. i get about 4-5k out of a rear, allmost twice that on the front. not too many tire choices for the 19 x 3.50 rims anyway. i pay 35 bucks for a tire. i dont push the bike too hard so no point in fancy tires. they are fine in the dirt and gravel as well. i understand that they wont be coming into the states anymore because the company wont renew the DOT approval on them for how few they sell here. maybe they will still come in with "offroad use only" designation.the last batch i bought had date of manufacture stamps from something like 6 weeks before i ordered them. they must have been cooling off on the boat. i love when some fool gives me grief for running the cheap tires and i point out the date stamp on his 8 year old dunlop or whatever.
bomberdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #14
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberdave
i run the cheng shins on my 53 bmw. they are totally adaquate tires. i get about 4-5k out of a rear, allmost twice that on the front. not too many tire choices for the 19 x 3.50 rims anyway. i pay 35 bucks for a tire. i dont push the bike too hard so no point in fancy tires. they are fine in the dirt and gravel as well. i understand that they wont be coming into the states anymore because the company wont renew the DOT approval on them for how few they sell here. maybe they will still come in with "offroad use only" designation.the last batch i bought had date of manufacture stamps from something like 6 weeks before i ordered them. they must have been cooling off on the boat. i love when some fool gives me grief for running the cheap tires and i point out the date stamp on his 8 year old dunlop or whatever.
You trust a 6wk old date from a country thats the king of knockoffs, cheap imitations, and copyright infringment ?? Maybe that the expiry date.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by gybeman
You trust a 6wk old date from a country thats the king of knockoffs, cheap imitations, and copyright infringment ?? Maybe that the expiry date.
Cheng Shins are Taiwanese. To you youngsters that's not the same as Red China. You see, once a upon a time there was a "good" China and a "bad" China. You have the two mixed up. The allies and particularly the US gave Taiwan alot of money for capital investment after Republic of China's leader Chiang Kai Shek allied with the west after WWII and the industrialized Taiwanese economy became one of the original Four Asian Tigers. Cheng Shins were probably better and certainly made in newer factories with better technology than US and British tires for many years. Now they are a budget tire but they fit a niche.

Gybeman, perhaps a sailor schooled with no regard for post WWII history?

Yes, I run a Cheng Shin on one of my bikes or why else rush to their defense. It is next to impossible to find 2.50 or 2.75 x 17 4 ply tires for my Honda noped. Michelin makes the M62 but it is only imported in the US in very small quantities once a year. The CS performs yeoman duties in this role.

Dave

dduelin screwed with this post 11-25-2008 at 07:22 PM
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote