ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #1486
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,847

"A stock car carrying Mel Tillis and Terry Bradshaw drove into a hotel swimming pool. If you watch the car as it drives into the pool, you'll see the jump ramp built at the end of the pool."
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #1487
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by h14xl
Don't know anything about that tire, but I like the price.
The tire performs well for me and my habits. The price is not the deal maker, really. The tires work, last longer than anything else I've used and have a decent warranty. If it throws knobs, I get a new tire at no cost. They are made in S. Korea, not China as rumored. But, we are talking about a bike manufactured and marketed by the Japanese, assembled in Taiwan, from parts supplied from throughout the Pacific Rim by the lowest bidder that can meet the minimum requirements. Where the tires are made should be the least of a KLR 650 riders' worries. Just knowing where the frame bolts come from would keep anyone with a lick of sense off a KLR 650 .

West Virginia Tag-O-Rama Map
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #1488
HBN OP
is car free

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatrader01
Just knowing where the frame bolts come from would keep anyone with a lick of sense off a KLR 650 .
Apparently those bolts are prone to catastrophic failure
Old 05-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #1489
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,002
that Shinko has got to be worth a try...

Thanks

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
Buy My John Deere!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #1490
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,639
tires

Hppyfnguy,

I have a set of Kenda 270 front and rear. I really like the rear, but the front leaves something to be desired. Once the front wears out, I'll be replacing with something different. However, on the back side, I like the Kenda 270. While it's a little squirrely when brand new, it grips quite well on pavement, and feels comfortable off road as well. There also priced quite reasonably; just ordered a new rear tire and got it for $35. They do wear relatively fast; on this rear tire that I'll be changing out soon, I'll probably get a total of around 3500 miles.

I may have to try one of those Shinko some time in the near future.

My Ride Reports.
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #1491
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 3,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatrader01
The tire performs well for me and my habits. The price is not the deal maker, really. The tires work, last longer than anything else I've used and have a decent warranty. If it throws knobs, I get a new tire at no cost. They are made in S. Korea, not China as rumored. But, we are talking about a bike manufactured and marketed by the Japanese, assembled in Taiwan, from parts supplied from throughout the Pacific Rim by the lowest bidder that can meet the minimum requirements. Where the tires are made should be the least of a KLR 650 riders' worries. Just knowing where the frame bolts come from would keep anyone with a lick of sense off a KLR 650 .
You sold me on tires, not so much on the KLR
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #1492
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider
Hppyfnguy,

I have a set of Kenda 270 front and rear. I really like the rear, but the front leaves something to be desired. Once the front wears out, I'll be replacing with something different. However, on the back side, I like the Kenda 270. While it's a little squirrely when brand new, it grips quite well on pavement, and feels comfortable off road as well. There also priced quite reasonably; just ordered a new rear tire and got it for $35. They do wear relatively fast; on this rear tire that I'll be changing out soon, I'll probably get a total of around 3500 miles.

I may have to try one of those Shinko some time in the near future.

Yeah, in typical KLR fashion I'm "value minded", (a cheap bastage.) I hate to pay big bucks for a tire and only get 3500 miles out of it.

Also I don't ride like a nut so I don't need performance tires...Just something circular that will try not to come out from under my ass.

I guess all tires have quirks and different riders feel more comfortable with different things. The Gripsters were actually good tires and I have 7500 mile on them and just noticed the rear looks real close to gone...

So Mefo - $$ and can't get 'em now, 606 and Kenda - low mileage, TKC-80 - $$ but still a possibility... and here comes Shinko 244 from the back of the pack...

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
Buy My John Deere!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:42 AM   #1493
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,380
What if you could have tuna salad...but, instead of tuna, you used BACON?
Wrapped up in an eggroll wrapper, and then wrapped with an extra strip of bacon, and deep fried in oil......MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm yummy.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:55 AM   #1494
HBN OP
is car free

That was officially the most unhealthy thing I ever ate.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:38 AM   #1495
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

HELP

Anyone any good at extracting stripped screws?
I need to get the screws off from the brake resevoir to add more fluid...and they seem to be made of lead. My stripped screw extractor kit does NOTHING for them except make them worse.

Help? Please?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:43 AM   #1496
HBN OP
is car free

Find the proper size replacements and get those. Then go to a garage or machine shop around town and ask if they would remove those for you. Some good ol' boys preferred. Maybe a friendly motorcycle dealership would help without charging maybe not
Old 05-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #1497
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Well, last resort worked.
Had to make a cut down the top of the reservoir, through the screws, and then use a flat-head screwdriver to get them out. Not the prettiest solution, but the only one I could see working besides drilling out and retapping the holes.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #1498
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

I'll be amazed if this works, but I'm currently assembling an automatic bong-style vacuum brake line bleeder. Connects to the carb's suction for the vacuum petcock.
It MIGHT work...
Old 05-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #1499
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

It works!
Yay!

It works very quickly, too, I might add---I went through over half a bottle of DOT4 for a single line.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #1500
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Pics of the bongbleeder...now who knows what bike this is?