ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #1501
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,548
I guess Suzook DR3fiddy. What do i win?

"Bong bleeder" haha!
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #1502
henecton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Skippii/HBninja if you ever need to borrow a tap and die set for a tech day or a torque wrench let me know. The torque wrench is a very good one but is 1/2 drive so it is best suited for axles, it won't go low enough for the light stuff. Tap and die set is a small set I purchased for working on bikes and other light duty stuff, can't guarantee it would work for everything you need but hey if you need to borrow it let me know.
henecton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:29 AM   #1503
HBN OP
lostwithmike.com

Oddometer: 12,108
Thanks henecton! I have a ft-lb torque wrench similar to yours but that tap and dye set may come in handy in the future.

Nice contraption skippii
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #1504
HBN OP
lostwithmike.com

Indian Run Campout

From Indian Run Campout

We all had a blast this weekend at Advridgerunner's property outside Big Island. This will become an annual event so lets hope to see some new faces next year (but not too many - its a small site)

My Ride Report (Heavy on the pics and videos)
Old 05-25-2009, 07:20 PM   #1505
KevinW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I've been doing searches in the DRZ thread about tires but still haven't found the information I'm after. Since I'm probably going to be riding a lot of the same terrain as subscribers to this thread, thought I'd seek information here as well.
Just bought an 00 DR-Z 400S about a month ago, which is my first off road bike, so am in the dark about tire choices. It came with a Michelin S12 rear and M12 front. The knobbies looked to have descent life left in them when I got the bike, although I didn't look that closely. I've put on 350-400 miles since, probably 75% spent on asphalt getting too and from forest roads. Already am needing to have the rear replaced.
In my next set I'm looking for tires that favor off off-road riding but hold up fairly well on asphalt. I keep seeing mention of Dunlop D606 and Pirelli MT 21, but not sure where they fall in the spectrum of off road capabilities. Along those lines, where do the Michelin S12/M12 fall on the scale of on-road/off-road? Will say they have felt pretty reassuring thus far.
Not needing a lengthy reply - maybe something like list tires as either falling in the 25/75, 50/50 or 75/25 off-road/on-road capabilities.
Any help would be appreciated.
2002 R1100S
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #1506
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW
I've been doing searches in the DRZ thread about tires but still haven't found the information I'm after. Since I'm probably going to be riding a lot of the same terrain as subscribers to this thread, thought I'd seek information here as well.
Just bought an 00 DR-Z 400S about a month ago, which is my first off road bike, so am in the dark about tire choices. It came with a Michelin S12 rear and M12 front. The knobbies looked to have descent life left in them when I got the bike, although I didn't look that closely. I've put on 350-400 miles since, probably 75% spent on asphalt getting too and from forest roads. Already am needing to have the rear replaced.
In my next set I'm looking for tires that favor off off-road riding but hold up fairly well on asphalt. I keep seeing mention of Dunlop D606 and Pirelli MT 21, but not sure where they fall in the spectrum of off road capabilities. Along those lines, where do the Michelin S12/M12 fall on the scale of on-road/off-road? Will say they have felt pretty reassuring thus far.
Not needing a lengthy reply - maybe something like list tires as either falling in the 25/75, 50/50 or 75/25 off-road/on-road capabilities.
Any help would be appreciated.
http://www.bikebandit.com/product/9877

I have found a reasonbly priced dual sport tire that performs well on asphalt and carries me up and down fire trails, and gets me decent milage. Not a true MX tire, not a sport bike tire. I'd say a 60 / 40 tire. Oil, tires, chain lube, religion, political affiliations and sexual preferences are good topics to stay clear of. I think if you look back a few posts in this thread, there are several posts on this subject. Good luck!

West Virginia Tag-O-Rama Map
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #1507
HBN OP
lostwithmike.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatrader01
Oil, tires, chain lube, religion, political affiliations and sexual preferences are good topics to stay clear of.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #1508
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurgNinja
  1. I keep seeing those shinkos recommended - I've even suggested them as a possibility to Buell riders before, but I can't see them working in mud at all. Kenda 760s seem like the best for mud, based on pics.
  2. I use synthetic in my road bikes, but plain old cheap dino stuff in dirt-based bikes. You'll get so much crap in the engine you'll want to change it long before the oil breaks down.
  3. Pretty much anything except KY works just fine as a chain lube.
  4. Faith and spirituality are for getting you through life. Religion is for what happens next. People could probably avoid a lot of argument if they understood this.
  5. This is the first hooby I've ever had that's been directly influenced by, and influences, my political beliefs. (Mostly AMA issues regarding public land). If I'd ever realized my hobby might become partisan recreation, I might not have been so quick to get into motorcycling.
  6. The very first Private Message I got on this forum was about my sexual orientation. I can't remember the subject anymore, but shortly after signing up I recall responding to a thread in JM. I think I was trying to give an example as to why people should respect others in their community. Someone seemed to think I was coming out. I do not go to JM anymore.

Did I miss anything?
Old 05-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #1509
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Before I get into tires, here's some stuff over which Gimme and HBN can drool.
Adventure Rider Backpacks?
Old 05-25-2009, 11:44 PM   #1510
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Okay, here's the thread you really want. :
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254057
it'll take you a while to get through it, and understand what any of it means, though.

What we really need is a thread that evaluates tires on 7 different points:

Dry Asphalt Grip
Wet Asphalt Grip
Dirt/gravel grip
Mud/sand grip
Longevity
Stability
Cornering

Although even that is clearly over simplifying it.

I don't have much experience with tubeless knobbies.
My next purchase will probably be a set of Kenda 760s, or maybe 270 & 760 combination, or maybe Dunlop 606s, or pirelli scorpion pros, or maybe these, which got good reviews here.

What size tire do you need?

Oh, and if you're looking for a 19" rear, I've probably got (pretty much brand new) the best DOT knobby ever made. Just no bike for it...and can't find anyone who needs a 19" rear.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #1511
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Here's the other big tire review list:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc...php/f-233.html
Old 05-26-2009, 03:41 AM   #1512
HBN OP
lostwithmike.com

Won a WHSV pizza again this AM. Ya'll should really get in on this monthly free pizza gig.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:56 AM   #1513
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii
Before I get into tires, here's some stuff over which Gimme and HBN can drool.
Adventure Rider Backpacks?
Clearly you have time to waste finding such stuff...
... tho' the heli hydrogen powered thing is pretty cool!

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:01 AM   #1514
HBN OP
lostwithmike.com

The heli backpack smacks of The Rocketeer
Old 05-26-2009, 05:47 AM   #1515
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurgNinja
The heli backpack smacks of The Rocketeer
Unlike this?

http://picasaweb.google.com/mdsaunde...81704556714866

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote