ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #17266
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott P View Post
LD...........we would pay money for that
Old 10-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #17267
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
I have had that in my Favorites for a year... I just remembered it
Where do you come up with these things???
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #17268
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Where do you come up with these things???
You can find a smilie for just about any occasion. Google whatever comes to mind(_____ smilies).

There is a smilie for that.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #17269
b3h
ol dog on a stray

Oddometer: 174
Seen this b4?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8
b3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #17270
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3h View Post
Afraid so.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #17271
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,435
One of my Favorites !!

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:38 AM   #17272
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott P View Post
I thought HBZ retired
She didn't really quit riding...she just quit riding with people who told her they didn't want to ride with her.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #17273
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Xt350

I posted this in the XT350 thread, but figured I'd post it here for some more opinions.
This is a follow-up to this post: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...9#post17037729

Went over to my friend's house earlier this week to help her work on her XT350.

She wants to sell her bike--she doesn't ride it anymore (hasn't been ridden in at least a year) but it's not really sellable in its current condition. I offered to help her fix it up so she could get a decent price for it. Or, if I decide I like it, I could buy it from her.

She lives a couple hours away, so I didn't get over there until about 5pm, and we went to dinner first. I was in the mood for pizza, so we went to Cici's. She said she'd pay since I was fixing her motorcycle, and the cashier made fun of her for taking me out to the cheapest possible ($6) place possible, which was quite amusing. We moved the bike up on her porch so we'd have some light. Bike started up easily on the second kick--I was impressed. Rode it around the house (after checking with my friend that there was indeed oil in the engine) to the porch and noticed the speedo doesn't work. As I said last time, I knew the front brake didn't work and clutch only barely works.

Under the light of the porch, I noticed that there was not a drop of oil in the engine visible in the sight window. I'm not sure why I believed her when she'd said the dipstick indicated there was oil in there...since the bike doesn't actually have a dipstick. She later admitted she may not have remembered correctly since she hadn't checked the oil in almost 2 years. But she swears it had oil back then, and she never drained any out, so....

There is an oil leak from around the oil filter cap. I'm guessing this is either a bad gasket, or just because one of the screws is so obviously not the correct one (2 black allen screws and one galvanized hex cap)

Started with the easy stuff: The shifter had been bent and was rubbing against the engine, but it bent back easily enough with some heat from a blowtorch.
Then we bent the clutch lever back to its original position with a blowtorch. It had been bent back to the grip, so you couldn't pull it in. Carefulyl bent it back (I'm pretty good at doing this now, though it took snapping quite a few of them to learn the technique). Lever is good, but there's still something seriously weird with the clutch feel. Removed the cable, and it seems like it had somehow siezed. Couldn't move the wire back and forth by hand at all. Sprayed some lube in both ends of the cable, no difference. Soaked it in lube for an hour, no difference. Clamped the cable housing, and then used vice-grips to twist the wire. Very difficult to turn, it 'clicks' as I twist it, as it sticks and releases every revolution. With enough twisting and pushing on the vicegrips I can slowly move the wire back and forth inside the housing, but it's still too stiff to move by hand. So, with the cable hanging up, the top end sealed inside a funnel filled with oil, I connect the bottom end to a handheld power drill and let it spin full speed for a few minutes to pull the lube through the cable. I had, of course, by this point already assumed the cable was bad and would need to be replaced anyway, so this was just an experiment to see if it would help or make it worse.

Also, by this time, my friend had left to play paintball with her boyfriend, so I figured that pretty much gives me executive decisions on everything that needs to be done. It wasn't quite what I'd had in mind by "helping her," but given her prior experiences with mechanical efforts, it was probably safer this way. Besides, we have an interesting friendship where we seem to get along better when one of us isn't around, so no real complaints.

With the clutch cable now much improved--still a very, very tight pull, but much better than before, I turned attention to the throttle cables, which would not return back on its own. I figured the cables had probably dried up from lube, or else some dirt and mud had gotten stuck between the handlebar and the throttle grip. Took it apart, lubed the cables, and cleaned the bar and inside the plastic grip part. Not sure if the throttle bar or grip is stock, but it's an odd design in that there's no cover on the opening, allowing plenty of dirt to get between the tube and bar. There's also a metal washer just sitting at the end of the grip which really doesn't look like it's supposed to be there and doesn't seem to serve any purpose. The throttle cables now didn't stick at all, and there was good tension to return them back to zero. Reassembled it all, and the problem returned. I took it apart and put it back together about 6 or 7 times, and I can't figure it out. Everything works great until I tighten the screws on the throttle assembly. Once they're tight enough to stop the whole thing from turning on the bars, it just barely won't return to zero. Losen the screws a bit, hold it in place to twist the throttle, and it snaps back easily. I tried everything I could think of, but don't see a solution. Maybe 1 out of 10 times it would return back after a second or so, but that means that if I ride it and get taken out by a low hanging branch, 9 out of 10 times that bike will continue in a straight line at full throttle until it throws itself off a cliff. I don't like those odds.

Other bikes on which I've worked often have holes drilled in the bar and pins in the throttle assembly, but this one didn't.
I don't think the bars are stock. They're black with no crossover bar. I can't remember the name printed on the bars, but there were markings on the bar where they connect to the tripple to show the angle at which they're set. Doesn't seem like Yamaha would have bothered using another company's bars on their bikes. I wasn't able to measure them, but I do believe these bars are 7/8" rather than the 1" bars occasionally used for DS or dirt bikes.

I'm pretty sure they're 7/8" bars, because after giving up on the throttle, I started to work on the non-functioning front brake. The master cylinder seems to have a stuck piston that won't return. Couldn't really figure out too much about that, though, because I for the life of me could not get the reservoir cap off. The tip of my screwdriver broke off on the head of that screw. At that point I figured that if this brake had failed once, there's no telling that it won't happen again when someone is riding it, so I just pulled it off and tossed it, since I had a spare front brake MC/lever assembly I could give her.

I can't actually remember what bike this came from. I remember I'd bought it a while ago from ebay to replace another one that had broken, and then when I was about to install it discovered I'd already had a spare lying around the shed and used that one instead. So there's a very small chance that this

Opening the reservoir cap on this one was unfortunately not any easier. Balancing between attempting not to strip the screws and attempting not to break another screwdriver I succeeded in doing both, and spent the following morning drilling the heads off the screws, E-Z outing the shafts, and trying to locate 5mm 0.8pitch metric screws at the local hardware store, as well as picking up some tubing to drain and refill the brake fluid.

Installing the new Master Cylinder and the new fluid went pretty smoothly, though probably would have been quicker with my friend's help. Still hadn't heard from her when she was coming home from her paintball game that morning.

The brakes worked much better now, lots of stopping power, and even more fork dive--going about 1mph and hitting the brakes gives a good 6 inches of dive. I'm guessing there's probably not much fork oil in there, or else the springs are set for a 50 pound child.

I wired up the brake light switch to the new assembly, and made made sure it worked. Sure enough, with the engine running, the small clutster of red LED lights switches from "barely noticable" to "pretty dim."

Somewhat more powerful and bright was the aftermarket headlight. Well...I thought so at first, until I remembered I was also wearing an LED headlamp on my forehead. Once I turned that off, I was less impressed by the luminosity of the bike. The front fairing and headlamp is some brand I'd not heard of before. I think it started with an O.

The whole wiring job for the headlight and turn signals was not impressive. Massive lengths of wire crammed up under the fairing, wires crimped together so that all the wires need to be cut to remove the any of the lights/turn signals/fairing. Also the brake line had been jammed and zip-tied into that mess of headlight wiring...not sure if that had anything to do with why it failed, but the heat coming off that lamp can't have been good for the hose.

So it was evening again by this time, and Rachel still wasn't home. I'd sent her a text message earlier listing the accomplishments I'd done in her absence. Her simple response of "cool" didn't really convey a whole lot of appreciation for the effort I'd been putting in, and she'd ignored my questions of when she'd be home, so I decided to take a break and play Halo on her xbox for a while. Later, I asked again when she was coming home, and getting no response, I asked her to confirm how many cats were supposed to be in the house, as I'd had the door open a bit while working on the bike. Six cats and two dogs she replied, which is far too many for anyone in her 20s who hasn't completely given up on human relationships. Luckily I have some experience herding cats, and confirmed that there were all still in the house. One of the dogs did run into the bike and knocked it over. I certainly didn't have the tools with me to fix the kickstand, which is bent so that it will only hold the bike completely vertical. No tilt at all, so even a slight breeze from any direction will knock it over. She usually props it up on concrete blocks at her house, but since carry a few cinder blocks or bricks around is beyond the capabilities of most luggage systems, I don't really see that as an acceptable solution. I guess if she brought it to my workshop I could take the kickstand off, heat up the mount with an oxy-fuel torch and bend it back, but I've got a feeling I actually tried something like that for her once before and couldn't get it to move. I think it would be a lot easier to just cut the stand in half and weld it back at a more appropriate angle, but even if I had a welder with me, that's not exactly the kind of thing I'll take the liberty of doing without checking in with the bike's owner.
Instead, I start putting the headlight/fairing back together, stuffing all the wiring back inside and finally getting it screwed back on. The speedometer cable wasn't actually broken, but the little bit that screws it onto the speedo had popped off. I tried to get it back on but wasn't able to. Wasn't that bothered by it anyway, though---anyway I'm able to get that back onto the cable is just going to make it easier to come off again, so better to just replace the cable anyway. It's only $10.
Do a few more adjustments, and get it all back together, push it down the steps and ride it once around her house. Brakes are great. Clutch is much better. Throttle is smoother, but still won't go back by itself.
I figure I'm done for the night, and load my tools back into my car. Maybe we'll get a bit more done in the morning--can't really do a test above walking speed until the tires are inflated above 5psi, and although she says she has a pump, I can't find it anywhere. I send her another text, asking if she is actually going to come home. No response, so after an hour of waiting around, at 10pm I call one of my friends half an hour away. She invites me to come "chill" with her in a Jacuzzi, and despite that very inappropriate verb choice, it sure beat waiting around her house choking on furballs, so I leave. Had a great time relaxing in a hot tub, followed somehow by me spending almost an hour correcting my friends essay on the limitations of the International Monetary Fund. (I don't know anything about international economics, but I'm good at formatting essays and correcting grammar and not using words like "chill" to mean "hang out in a Jacuzzi".)

Overall, I'm pretty happy with what did get accomplished--the bike is certainly ridable now, even if it's not perfect.
The throttle is the main thing annoying me right now.
Other things that need attention are the two busted turn signals on the left side, the leaking oil cover, the worthless kickstand, a new speedometer cable, new fork oil and possibly new seals. And mirrors...currently, it has only a small convex circular mirror (the kind sold for $2 at walmart to be attached to a normal mirror to address the blind spot on cars) attached to the handlebar medially of the clutch perch with a hose clamp, giving the rider a distorted view of their crotch and the side of the gas tank. Apparently Va State inspection just require you have a mirror...it doesn't have to work.

Anyway, it's Friday morning now. Haven't seen Rachel since Tuesday, got her last text message about the cats Wednesday afternoon, so I don't really know what's next for the bike. (She's posting facebook updates, though, so at least I'm not worried about her.) Honestly, I don't feel as though as though my help was really appreciated, so I'm a little less motivated to take time off work and drive the two hours each way to work on it again anytime soon. On the other hand, although there are still a lot of things I don't like about it, I haven't ruled out buying it from her. What do you think it's worth right now? A couple pages back someone said it sounds like a $250 project. With the stuff done, and the new master cylinder installed, I'd like to think it's a little better than that now...maybe a $350 project? That would be about the limit of what I'd pay for it, but I don't think it would take much more work to get a much better asking price for her if she sells it to someone else.

I realize that doing all the work to make a bike more expensive before buying it sounds like a silly idea, once every couple of years I like to pretend I'm nice and help out other people.
Besides, what do you think is easier to justify to your family: buying a non-working project, or spending some time helping out a friend in need, and later possibly buying a reliable method of transportation?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:35 AM   #17274
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,919

Get that KLX instead and leave it the F alone
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #17275
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post

Get that KLX instead and leave it the F alone
Going to hospital this morning before work, and my health insurance is being a bunch of fucktards. A KLX will probably never be in my pricerange.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #17276
HBN OP
is car free

Please rate your pain
Old 10-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #17277
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
A KLX will probably never be in my pricerange.
Skippii, have you ever tallied up the amount of $$$ and time you've spent working on/fixing up the bikes that you've been riding in the recent past? While it may cost a bit more up front to get a fully functional bike, in the long run you'd probably end up spending the same amount of money; not to mention that if you got a fully functional bike, you could ride it whenever you want, not worry about breakdowns, and give others riding with you some precious peace of mind.

The only problem is see with this is that in my opinion you enjoy working on/fixing up bikes, and would probably get bored with a bike that didn't need constant tinkering. Therefor I suggest that you do both! Get the reliable KLX and then also get a $250 basket case; this way you can go riding (worry free) whenever you want and also work on a bike when you feel the urge.

Just my 2 cents.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #17278
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

"beware of the cats"

I shamelessly stole this off the Global tag game. They are looking out for us over in Switzerland.

Thought you cats might dig it! That ones for you George!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #17279
HBN OP
is car free

oh...wrong George
Old 10-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #17280
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer