ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #20281
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountianMad View Post
Hey Herders,
I don't post much but I'm throwing out a question. Whats the interest in puttin on a Cat Hearders IV Campout at the Cox Compound? This summer is busy and Motocox and WFO cox are both racing in the VAGNCC series every other week-end and we would like to put on another camp. Dates are hard to come up with (with the race schedule)and I won't step on anyone else's toes as far as conflicting with other events....but lookin at end of Aug. Check Oil, p-Canary, H14 and others have been a great help in the past prepping but may need a little help with details. Please get with us (any of the above) as to interest or thoughts.
Thanks,
TC&LC at the Compound
August works for me.........name a date
5punksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:46 AM   #20282
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

Looks like it started near where the Massanutten Mountain East trail meets the top of the ridge(38.8852, -78.3326) coming North from Veach Gap Shelter
Not good, that's damn close to my land just south at Milford Gap, guess I should call the neighbors and see whats up.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #20283
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,720
Just dont let it jump the river.

H14..... your pleasure beads are hanging from the garage door . please pick them up .
Old 06-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #20284
OleGrumpy
TFM/ODS Proficient

Oddometer: 10,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
He had a 650 he was selling for a buddy. I hope he is doing well. No one has heard from him in a long time...

OleGrumpy, that 1000 looks real nice! Has me thinking....
Give me a shout if you are interested.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #20285
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
My littlelionmonster copycat trip is up

HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #20286
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

Oddometer: 1,233
Cry for help

Smart people,

I am babysitting Grasshopper's bike while he is away. I have had it out around the neighborhood a few times, but never ridden it hard. Today I noticed a wet spot on the front tire that I traced back to the front fork boot. I dont have much experience working on bikes yet, and I don't want to practice on someone else's. I could continue to start and run his bike weekly until he gets home, or get after it with some supervision and have the bike ready for the trail when he gets home. I prefer the latter. Anybody willing to show a greenhorn how to stop a front fork leak?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #20287
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by valongbeard View Post
Smart people,

I am babysitting Grasshopper's bike while he is away. I have had it out around the neighborhood a few times, but never ridden it hard. Today I noticed a wet spot on the front tire that I traced back to the front fork boot. I dont have much experience working on bikes yet, and I don't want to practice on someone else's. I could continue to start and run his bike weekly until he gets home, or get after it with some supervision and have the bike ready for the trail when he gets home. I prefer the latter. Anybody willing to show a greenhorn how to stop a front fork leak?
HA HA! Just kidding that sucks when you try to help someone out and crap like this happens.

I'll be home in about three weeks. If no one else can help before then I could give you a hand. Maybe you should lay off the wheelies in the meantime.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #20288
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 762
I've heard of people slipping 35mm film around the fork seals to clean them up. I'll pull some out of my camera.....

Never mind.

Buy my Jetta TDI
Buy my jacket
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #20289
Nick650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
I've used a piece of 35mm film and slid it up under the fork boot and pulled the film down bringing the dirt out. i have heard of using a clean white business card to achieve the same results. Try riding it a couple days to work . I bought a kawasaki 1100 that had set for a while it seeped a little , I was going to buy seals that friday but after riding it all week it quit leaking and i had no more problems with it. just a few ideas.
Nick650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #20290
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,839
Not to beat a dead horse to death or anything, but yeah, the 35mm camera film (or any thin & flexible plastic material) will help. It all depends on how badly the seals are damaged (how long dirt/crap has been up in there and wearing away at the rubber seal or potentially even worse and wearing a groove in the fork tube itself! ). Whatever the case, I wouldn't worry about it too much, anyone who knows anything about motorcycles knows that this is not something that happens from riding a buddies bike around the neighborhood once every two weeks just to keep it running while he's out of town. Kudos to you for wanting to fix this issue before grasshopper returns.

But like the others have said, clean several times and ride the bike a bit in between cleanings, and you may get the offending dirt/grit out of there. Best of luck.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #20291
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick650 View Post
I've used a piece of 35mm film and slid it up under the fork boot and pulled the film down bringing the dirt out. i have heard of using a clean white business card to achieve the same results. Try riding it a couple days to work . I bought a kawasaki 1100 that had set for a while it seeped a little , I was going to buy seals that friday but after riding it all week it quit leaking and i had no more problems with it. just a few ideas.
So you think riding it to exercise and clean the seals might clean them out and make them seal? It's worth a shot. I guess as long as I don't run all of the oil out it should be fine?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #20292
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
But like the others have said, clean several times and ride the bike a bit in between cleanings, and you may get the offending dirt/grit out of there. Best of luck.
Clean, ride, repeat. Got it.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #20293
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
Yeah it shouldn't be a big problem. If he needs new seals it really isn't that hard to do with minimal tools. Hardest part is driving the new seals in just right and level.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #20294
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
My littlelionmonster copycat trip is up

After checking out that post, I just want to jump on my bike and head west. That would really piss off my girlfriend, so I guess it will have to wait.

So what is the deal with that mama Rella place? Is that just her house and you eat in her dining room?? Looked like a crazy set up.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #20295
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelB12 View Post
After checking out that post, I just want to jump on my bike and head west. That would really piss off my ex-girlfriend, so I guess I better start planning.

So what is the deal with that mama Rella place? Is that just her house and you eat in her dining room?? Looked like a crazy set up.
Edited for clarity.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is online now   Reply With Quote