ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #20956
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,704
Great Pic Mike

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #20957
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
The first shot in your last series looks like meat cove. That lapa is just about the strongest I have ever seen!

Ride on bro.
Sure is. Meat Cove, NS feels sorta tame compared to some of the things I've seen. Certainly a must-visit site for anyone riding to Nova Scotia.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #20958
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,546

Rode 17 miles to work, will have a total of 34 miles by the time I get home this evening! Will post up ride report of my adventures. Here is a little teaser photo. By the end of this awesome trip I may have a bit of stubble on my face but I ain't smokin no pipe. :-P

Just playin'.
Great trip Mike! I'm just envious, I should have taken more long trips pre-baby when I had more of a chance.
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #20959
HBN OP
is car free

Can't wait to visit the family soon Rob It ain't the quantity but the quality (most of the time).
Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #20960
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,546
Come on down anytime, the neighbor has a sweet keg of hofbrau, we can do some wicked grasstrack racing on the playbikes. It's no 6500 mile trip but it's the 2 wheeled fun I'm able to partake in these days when I'm not needed for 20 minutes.
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #20961
RebRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Eastern Panhandle - Bike night....

Eastern Panhandle - Bike night....
If anyone is in the Eastern Panhandle next week Tuesday evening may want to stop by
Bike Night in Eastern Panhandle - Jefferson County
2001 Triumph Tiger
RebRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #20962
vibenation
Out of Rat Race

Oddometer: 62
Alright, Alright, Alright....

I am finally ready to crack open the wallet and properly sort out the suspension in my DRZ...

Have been thumbing through the Suspension Bible and have a good basic, limited, minuscule, etc idea of the end result I would like to have, and what it will take to get to it. I am pretty sure I could handle dealing with getting the proper weight springs shipped to me, and maybe even installed but I suspect the rabbit hole is a bit deeper than that.

My bike is an '06, and I am at least the second owner so I don't know what weight springs are in the front and rear (suspect stock as the rider I bought it from is about 50-75 lighter than I and right in the sweet spot for it) how old the oil is, status of seals, etc.

Since it is not quite winter yet I don't want to tear everything apart and tinker with it too much...the Shenandoah 500 is coming up and don't want to risk tweaking the bike too badly with my heavy handed learning attempts on the black magic involved with suspension.

So....that being said I need a recommendation for a shop local-ish to the Charlottesville area that I can take the bike to, have them install the proper weight springs, put fresh oil in the front, recharge the back, etc. Once that part is done I can sort out setting the sag then start playing with the clickers.

Who knows the magic guru that can do this on as limited of a budget as possible (not really looking for a race setup, expensive revalve, etc) and also have the bike tweaked and ready in time for the Sheny 500? Please either shoot me a PM or post up here.

Thanks in advance if anyone can pass along the contact. Have enough budget to make it worth a tuners time but not looking for a full blown $1500 race tweaking, will save that money for when I have a separate bike just for the offroad portion of my riding.
Booze and the blowens cop the lot."
vibenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #20963
HBN OP
is car free

I was looking at Wilburs vs Ohlins for the GS last night. Cha-Ching but well worth it considering my stockers have nearly 70k on them
Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #20964
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
I was looking at Wilburs vs Ohlins for the GS last night. Cha-Ching but well worth it considering my stockers have nearly 70k on them
ping blooch... maybe his guy can still discount ohlins. Saved me some nice change...
ps.. I got a rear for my GS.... AWESOME! couldn't believe i rode almost 30K without one.

Jax' mediocre photo thread.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #20965
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibenation View Post

I am finally ready to crack open the wallet and properly sort out the suspension in my DRZ...

Have been thumbing through the Suspension Bible and have a good basic, limited, minuscule, etc idea of the end result I would like to have, and what it will take to get to it. I am pretty sure I could handle dealing with getting the proper weight springs shipped to me, and maybe even installed but I suspect the rabbit hole is a bit deeper than that.

My bike is an '06, and I am at least the second owner so I don't know what weight springs are in the front and rear (suspect stock as the rider I bought it from is about 50-75 lighter than I and right in the sweet spot for it) how old the oil is, status of seals, etc.

Since it is not quite winter yet I don't want to tear everything apart and tinker with it too much...the Shenandoah 500 is coming up and don't want to risk tweaking the bike too badly with my heavy handed learning attempts on the black magic involved with suspension.

So....that being said I need a recommendation for a shop local-ish to the Charlottesville area that I can take the bike to, have them install the proper weight springs, put fresh oil in the front, recharge the back, etc. Once that part is done I can sort out setting the sag then start playing with the clickers.

Who knows the magic guru that can do this on as limited of a budget as possible (not really looking for a race setup, expensive revalve, etc) and also have the bike tweaked and ready in time for the Sheny 500? Please either shoot me a PM or post up here.

Thanks in advance if anyone can pass along the contact. Have enough budget to make it worth a tuners time but not looking for a full blown $1500 race tweaking, will save that money for when I have a separate bike just for the offroad portion of my riding.
I am in the process of respringing mine right now and I will have less than $300.00 into it, that is for front and rear springs, oil, and fork seals. I will be doing the work myself so that will save a lot of $, and after talking to H14 I will be revalving it this winter for another couple hundred.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #20966
vibenation
Out of Rat Race

Oddometer: 62
I really would love to go that route if at all possible, all about doing work on the bike myself to learn more about the machine carrying me and being able to do it myself. Wonder about the tools required, especially for the rear shock, you have a way to discharge and recharge the nitrogen load and such? For the spring swap I know not a whole lot if anything beyond what I already have is needed, just have never delved into motorcycle suspension and not sure if I will be getting over my head tool and knowledge wise if I try to do anything beyond the springs myself. Would love to be a fly on the wall/help when the revalving goes down this winter, shoot me a message.

If I can't find the right price and right shop/tuner before the Sheny, I will just go with what I have, for the most part it has mostly successfully kept the rubber side down for the two years I have owned the DRZ and deal with it over the winter. Budget is tight due to the fact that starting on this coming Monday a crew will be out at my house installing a proper drainage system to keep water out of my garage, fixing the roof where the tree hit it during the big storm, and installing a wood shed to store all the wood I split from what trees came down in the storm and the ones I had dropped to keep them off the garage and house in the future...so wish I did not have to outlay the absurd amount of money this has already cost and what it will cost to finish off the drainage issue, by the time it is said and done I probably could have gone a long way towards buying a proper used long distance ADV bike and finished the unfinished garage I will be huddling in freezing this winter for the planned major overhaul of the DRZ. Can't wait any longer for the drainage fix, every time it rains I get about a 1/2 of water in the garage and soon the wood will start rotting and freezing temperatures will just make the problem worse.

Would love to pick your and H14's brains about updating the suspension myself if I don't find a shop and the time to get it done pre Shenny, anyone have a good tuner in the meantime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
I am in the process of respringing mine right now and I will have less than $300.00 into it, that is for front and rear springs, oil, and fork seals. I will be doing the work myself so that will save a lot of $, and after talking to H14 I will be revalving it this winter for another couple hundred.
Booze and the blowens cop the lot."
vibenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #20967
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Quote:
I really would love to go that route if at all possible, all about doing work on the bike myself to learn more about the machine carrying me and being able to do it myself. Wonder about the tools required, especially for the rear shock, you have a way to discharge and recharge the nitrogen load and such? For the spring swap I know not a whole lot if anything beyond what I already have is needed, just have never delved into motorcycle suspension and not sure if I will be getting over my head tool and knowledge wise if I try to do anything beyond the springs myself. Would love to be a fly on the wall/help when the revalving goes down this winter, shoot me a message.

If I can't find the right price and right shop/tuner before the Sheny, I will just go with what I have, for the most part it has mostly successfully kept the rubber side down for the two years I have owned the DRZ and deal with it over the winter. Budget is tight due to the fact that starting on this coming Monday a crew will be out at my house installing a proper drainage system to keep water out of my garage, fixing the roof where the tree hit it during the big storm, and installing a wood shed to store all the wood I split from what trees came down in the storm and the ones I had dropped to keep them off the garage and house in the future...so wish I did not have to outlay the absurd amount of money this has already cost and what it will cost to finish off the drainage issue, by the time it is said and done I probably could have gone a long way towards buying a proper used long distance ADV bike and finished the unfinished garage I will be huddling in freezing this winter for the planned major overhaul of the DRZ. Can't wait any longer for the drainage fix, every time it rains I get about a 1/2 of water in the garage and soon the wood will start rotting and freezing temperatures will just make the problem worse.

Would love to pick your and H14's brains about updating the suspension myself if I don't find a shop and the time to get it done pre Shenny, anyone have a good tuner in the meantime?
Rear shock respring is super easy....remove rear shock and unscrew the locking rings. The plate on the bottom which the spring sits on is two piece, seperate and remove it and the spring will come right off. reverse the order, reinstall, and adjust preload. No need to discharge the shock just to install the spring. I have not done the forks yet but they shouldn't be much tougher though...you should be able to find directions online pretty easy and only uses basic tools. I need to replace seals so it will be a bit more work. I will revalve the forks myself but I am going to send the shock off for a complete rebuild and revalve this winter...H14 can tell you what the cost of that is.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #20968
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,642
I did my XR...ordered Eibach springs through Thumpertalk store....dumped out the substance called oil from the front
forks...flushed...re-filled, getting the oil level right is the only 'tricky' part. Rear was easy as stated, unscrewed the
preload nut all the way and it came apart easy. It wasn't leaking so no recharge necessary. Made a big difference in
handling for my fatness....rear didn't sag anymore and front track way better in ruts...for the KTMs I took the guru route
and threw money at the problem with springs and revalve.....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #20969
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:

S or SM?

S model you don't even have to take the forks off the bike to swap springs.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/839...k-spring-swap/
09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #20970
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Spring upgrade on DRZ

One other thing, it's best to do both ends at the same time so as not to unbalance the bike....it's still rideable but definitely noticeable as one end will be working better than the other.