ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #21136
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 498
There is a Dr 200 cheap on ebay in Alexandria.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...ht_1482wt_1130

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20

Sic Semper Tyrannis screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 04:44 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #21137
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
44.838221,-69.421934

I think I'll just act like I don't know you
Not good. Location is in the middle of my DNA puddle. All 4 surrounding towns i.e. hartland, pittsfield, St. albans, Newport were off limit when I started dating; high probability that I would run into ex-girlfriend at the family reunion. Oh and I know the trooper... Asked a cousin from the plate. Good idea you didn't use my name... We had history. I'll fill you in at Blooch's.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #21138
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,919
Ha Lance!

Dave,
I have a buddy who has a DR200. He rode it on the road as a learner bike for a year or so. It is GREAT for learning on and gravel roads. It is small displacement, skinny tires, lightweight, easy to learn on and perfect for folks of all ages and inseams. If you were planning to go over 55, get something else. It'd comfortably handle the trail up to flagpole from reddish but taking it on dunkle would likely see you bottoming out on the water breaks and lacking power for the steep stuff. I'd pimp dat shiz though - If I can make those trails on a TW, the DR would get by no sweat.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #21139
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA_PILOT View Post
Hey Mike, where did you get pulled over... Was it airline road aka route 9? They might be one of my relatives. All the Barracks North of Augusta have my family running it or a member of. On second thought, maybe you shouldn't ever use my name. Could mean automatic jail time by association... There is a reason I only go to Maine to visit.

This is a great photo. I got to compose one similar in Monticello UT last year. It should be posted up on the Favorite GS Pictures or Long and Lonely Highways threads.
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #21140
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,041
Buddy of mine is selling his 640 Adv

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post19637485

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #21141
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
94 xt 225

Hey I know I guy that has a 94 XT 225 with 1,900 miles on it I think he also has a spare set of tires and a extra pipe that go with it. He wants $1,600 for it I haven't seen it for a couple of years but I am sure its fine.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #21142
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Oddometer: 356
Dog Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
HBN -
Add elk to LD's list. I've done a lot of work with it and in 2 to 3 oz weight, it'll wear much better than similar whitetail or mule deer. There are also a couple of tanneries who tan waterproof hides, some as close as PA.
Lately, I have been watching the Discovery Series "Yukon Men" and they don't seem to waste anything or take to thier sled dogs in a too sentimental way. The one guy who stars on the show is proud to show off his gloves that he had made out of one of his lead sled dogs. He says, where ever I go, old Yella or what ever the hell the name of the dog was is with him. So, I am seriously thinking that maybe when my dog passes away (10 year old German ShortHair), I might have the hide tanned and make him into a nice seat for the KLR. Any thoughts on the wearability and versitility of dog hide?
Kawikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #21143
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,919
Ha! Warren that cracked me up
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #21144
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by valongbeard View Post
Digging deeper on this small bike purchase. I found an affordable DR200. Anybody have experience or stories? Good out bad? I am leaning heavy on you guys, 'cause I just dont know, but I trust you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
. It'd comfortably handle the trail up to flagpole from reddish but taking it on dunkle would likely see you bottoming out on the water breaks and lacking power for the steep stuff.
I have one. I think it is an absolute hoot to ride. With a 21" front tire and lots of ground clearance I didn't think I hit anything all weekend with the skid plate. Even took it up Stonecamp, Dunkle and Vepco. The power isn't an issue for the trails, but top tarmac speed is where I notice the little displacement.

Here's a good thread on them:
The DR200 Thread

The Good:
Cheap
Relaible (one you replace the petcock)
A hoot to ride and confidence inspiring

The Bad:
Top speed of 62MPH
Very few aftermarket accessories avail
Old 09-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #21145
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
I have one. I think it is an absolute hoot to ride. With a 21" front tire and lots of ground clearance I didn't think I hit anything all weekend with the skid plate. Even took it up Stonecamp, Dunkle and Vepco. The power isn't an issue for the trails, but top tarmac speed is where I notice the little displacement.

Here's a good thread on them:
The DR200 Thread

The Good:
Cheap
Relaible (one you replace the petcock)
A hoot to ride and confidence inspiring

The Bad:
Top speed of 62MPH
Very few aftermarket accessories avail

Good report. My pappy in law is probably just over 6' and pushing 250 lbs. I am afraid he will be too oversized for the little bike. But trying to get back into riding at 62 years old, I dont want to get a big bike either. We are still working on the options. It is good to hear favorable reports of thd DR200.

Dorito, I dont think I got to meet you at H14's, but I hear you were there. Aspiring arsonist right?
Old 09-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #21146
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,165
Dave, Blaster posted this comparison on the XT and DR a few days ago.

Quote:

Bike thoughts for Brenda P

Brenda...this was over in another thread so if you were looking for a small offroad bike this may help you out a bit.

Quote:
DR200:

Bigger fuel tank (almost 1 gallon bigger than the XT)
Better chain (520 vs XT's wimpy 428)
Heavier spokes (went through 3 complete sets on the rear hub of my XT, they're expensive & break easily)
Starts better in cold weather (I ride year around with a lot of temps below 30, XT didn't like to start below 40)
Shifts better (transmission much smoother than the XT)
Better fuel mileage (DR200=85mpg vs XT=65mpg)
Better oil filter (DR200= media cartridge vs XT=metal mesh cartridge)
Better oil drain plug
Aftermarket exhaust available (none available as a direct fit for the XT, have to build a custom one)

XT225:

6 speed transmission (1st gear is seriously low, great for difficult technical trails)
More power (definitely)
More torque (pulls like a tractor and you can lug it down to tortuously low rpm's)
Smoother engine (less vibration than the DR200)
Longer engine life? (there are people on the XT forum that have >40k miles on the original motor)
Has factory skidplate (shame on you suzuki for not including one)
Better front brakes (XT=dual piston caliper vs DR=single piston caliper)
Lighter (by almost 20 lbs)

Which one do I like better? Believe it or not I like the DR200 a little better. Even though it lacks on power (which I think with a jetting & exhaust mod will help dramatically) and it doesn't have a 6 speed I like the DR200 better because it runs better, better cruising range, gets better mileage and doesn't have the weak rear hub design the XT has (nothing worse than being 50+ miles off road and breaking 4-6 spokes). We'll see how things are when I get to 10k miles. That's all I can think of at the moment. Hopes this helps you out.
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #21147
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

Cool2

Old 09-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #21148
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by valongbeard View Post
. Aspiring arsonist right?
I am just very thankful that we didn't catch the field of corn on fire too...popcorn anyone?
Old 09-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #21149
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by allonsye View Post
This is a great photo. I got to compose one similar in Monticello UT last year. It should be posted up on the Favorite GS Pictures or Long and Lonely Highways threads.
I liked the Ruckus and the Va State trooper photo better...

Suzuki DR200...
First off, does your FIL want to ride trails or just back roads?

I took my BRC on a DR200. Great little bike! I still get to ride one every now and then.
I've actually thought of buying one for a trail bike but I'm sure I'm WAY too big for that little 200cc engine on the trails around here. It would be struggling for sure. It would be OK for back roads though.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #21150
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

Actually, I learned that he wants to dual purpose the dual sport. He wants something to toodle the trails, but probably his bigger goal was to strap it to the back of his camper this winter when he heads south. That'll be road riding with some possible (very short) 2 up riding. And now he says he wants a low miles bike instead of the cheap beater I thought he was after. So, I found a bunch for him to look at. It sounds like any of the 200 - 250 bikes should work. Just gonna wait and see where he wants to go. Thanks for all of the input.