ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #21451
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Hey guys, posted in WV Dual Sports thread, but was told I may have more luck here...

Hey guys! My brother bought a place in Slaty Fork, just a couple miles from Snowshoe, right off 219.. We've spent the past 5 weekends there working on things and will probably continue to do so for a lot of winter. That said, are there any good dual sport trails in that area that you FF's wouldn't mind sharing? Seems like there's gotta be.

Cheers!
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #21452
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Sure thing JD Rocks. We always take a walk to the Sinks of Gandy Creek when visiting but I haven't been through it. Inmate Gimmeslack has and took some neat photos. PM him if interested in finding out more.
I worked at a camp in college that would come down to Seneca Rocks, stay for a week and hit 3 or 4 different caves in the area. We did Sinks and I remember one that was in the Marlington area. We had to repel about 60 ft down into the cave before you could start walking. Pretty cool and pretty freaky.

There are caves all over the place in WV, but don't ask me where. I might go looking for the place in Marlington sometime........

Buy my Jetta TDI
Buy my jacket
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #21453
Falcon86
I just work here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionmonster View Post
I worked at a camp in college that would come down to Seneca Rocks, stay for a week and hit 3 or 4 different caves in the area. We did Sinks and I remember one that was in the Marlington area. We had to repel about 60 ft down into the cave before you could start walking. Pretty cool and pretty freaky.

There are caves all over the place in WV, but don't ask me where. I might go looking for the place in Marlington sometime........
Probably not the same one, but about a half mile from where my brother just bought his cabin, there's a cave that's just like you said. It's in the side of one of the smaller mountain/hill, but you have to repel down to get there. Nat Geo did a historical piece on it as Gen Lee actually hid his men and their weapons down there for several months during the war. It's blocked off now but supposedly some years back they went down and found all sorts of Civil War artifacts.

Pretty awesome!

Edit: The one I'm describing is in Slaty Fork right near the intersection of 219 + 66.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #21454
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 4,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
on another note, i also found out that there is spelunking to be had at LF, news to me, i don't remember anyone mentioning it, but it's true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
Sinks of Gandy. I've seen spelunkers parked at the 90-degree bend near the entrance. It's about a mile through, and they said there are two exits across the ridge-one being wetter than the other.

Might be others-
Anybody venturing into any cave should be aware of WNS(White Nose Syndrome).

It has killed millions of bats and is still infecting new caves. They believe that humans are a major factor for it spreading.

All caves in the Monongahela and most private caves were closed to the public this spring. I'm not sure if they are still closed or not.

Regarding the Sinks Of Gandy.

The entrance, exit, and the cave itself are on private property.

The owners of the land where the entrance is located graciously allow visitors on their land to view the entrance. You'll notice the land is not posted.

The exit is on another landowners property. I think you need their permission to access the cave and the cave exit. I believe this land is posted.

The cavers that where seen there most likely had permission to explore the cave. They were probably National Speleological Society members.

I've read reports from members of the NSS that have done tubing trips through the cave. Wouldn't that be cool.
There is no odometer when it comes to pie - VACommuter
20% credit Smug Mug coupon

WayneJ screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 08:57 AM
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #21455
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Edit: The one I'm describing is in Slaty Fork right near the intersection of 219 + 66.
Slatyfork aye? I know there is an inmate who has a cabin out that way and rides an XR650. He has posted some awesome trails. Forget his name though.

The store there is pretty cool!

HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #21456
Falcon86
I just work here.

The "guy hanging from the barn" is just a few miles down the road from their cabin.

There's actually a photo just like yours of it hanging in their master bedroom (everything conveyed ).

It's funny to look at the old pictures of it and then to drive by now (as you saw), poor gentleman's outfit is definitely monotone these days.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #21457
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,466
All true and as a card-carrying NSS member, I was remiss not to mention it. WNS disease has decimated some bat populations and everyone thinking about going into a cave around here should read up: http://www.caves.org/WNS/

And of course, it goes w/out saying that caving can go from *fun* to a heap of hurt in a split second (e.g. it doesn't have to be raining where you are - rain upstream can flood a cave in no time flat), so anyone thinking about crawling through sinks ought to try to hook up with other (experienced) cavers.

Back to motorcicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
Anybody venturing into any cave should be aware of WNS(White Nose Syndrome).

It has killed millions of bats and is still infecting new caves. They believe that humans are a major factor for it spreading.

All caves in the Monongahela and most private caves were closed to the public this spring. I'm not sure if they are still closed or not.

Regarding the Sinks Of Gandy.

The entrance, exit, and the cave itself are on private property.

The owners of the land where the entrance is located graciously allow visitors on their land to view the entrance. You'll notice the land is not posted.

The exit is on another landowners property. I think you need their permission to access the cave and the cave exit. I believe this land is posted.

The cavers that where seen there most likely had permission to explore the cave. They were probably National Speleological Society members.

I've read reports from members of the NSS that have done tubing trips through the cave. Wouldn't that be cool.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain

Gimmeslack screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 09:44 AM
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #21458
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,897
Quote:
Sure thing JD Rocks. We always take a walk to the Sinks of Gandy Creek when visiting but I haven't been through it. Inmate Gimmeslack has and took some neat photos. PM him if interested in finding out more.

I finally have my weekend PA RR up
Saturday
Sunday

from the description, i don't think this one is the Sinks of Gandy, the location doesn't seem to match.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #21459
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionmonster View Post

A zillion caves in Marlington area... could this be it?

Very popular vertical cave. Literally a hole right next to roadside!

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #21460
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeslack View Post
A zillion caves in Marlington area... could this be it?
Very popular vertical cave. Literally a hole right next to roadside!
Yep, I think that's it. would hate to drop a front tire off in that on a dark night. Somewhere I have a pic of me squeezing thru a hole that 3" smaller then I normally am. there was about 4 inches of cold water that you had to go through - twice.

It was one of those times when you think - WTF am I doing here?

On a warmer note, took the family down to St Mary wilderness and hiked back to the falls yesterday. Six hours to go 5 miles, but hiking with a 3 yr old is like that.

Buy my Jetta TDI
Buy my jacket
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #21461
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
got the old gal out for a ride on Sunday, rode through DC a bit then up to Potomac

I was going to ask you at Kevin's fire ring if you had the ol' English girl but your wife was there and I learned not to talk toys around a man's better half.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #21462
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,925
Mine is my better half
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #21463
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,041
Quote:
Mine is my better half
Knew a guy who used to say that about his horse. He was eventually arrested.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #21464
stinkycheezmonky
Deep Fried Monkey

Oddometer: 73
Now living in Winchester, having fun finding paved roads around here. The CB700S is not the greatest offroad machine, unfortunately, so I'll be avoiding those for the time being.
stinkycheezmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #21465
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXedupONE View Post
Great time running Shen 500 on Saturday on my little 144cc toy bike that did great. I skipped cold and rainy Sunday.

Skippii did you ever make it home or you still out in the woods somewhere?

Previous weekend was a Summit point trackday.

love my current setup with the Hummer and Mototote hitch mount bike carrier. So easy to load up, go do 2wheeled activities and have a comfy place to sleep with RTT.

Doing a 2 day Penguin racing track school in NJ next weekend. Roger Hayden will be there as well as other AMA pros.
I just checked the Mototote website and they do not show a close up pic of the "zero wobble" hitch mount. Do you have any pics of that as I would like to buy one of these units for my FJ Cruiser.

Edit....I downloaded the PDF manual and see how the zero wobble setup works. So all I want to ask is where is the best place to buy one and does it wobble any?

bobbed06 screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 08:15 AM
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote