ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #23716
twohawks
Not Afraid

Oddometer: 2,544
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Arches is one of my favorites. Outta this world! I shoulda taken off my Stich' though before hiking

Enjoy! That area is full of possibilities.

Yeah....Nathan is working out here as a Dr. of Physical Therapy, most of his patients are non English speaking Navajo. He lives in Blanding UT, "Base camp to Adventure". It was cool yesterday visiting places where I rode out here.

Utah and Colorado 2010 Ride Report
CAT HERDER'S
BWDR
SMIBS

2008 KLR650
1984 GL1200I GoldWing Interstate
Human Power'd two wheel machine - 2001 StumpJumper Pro Hardtail
CMA ><>
GWRRA
twohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #23717
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I agree with everything Mike said with one side note. If you do end up using a Strom get my number before you leave. If you get in a pinch and need any part of the bike I will remove it from one of my Stroms and ship it to you ASAP.
That's very kind of you! You never know but stuff does happen. I'd have to hope that it would never come to that, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
^^^ +1. Years back I drove a Honda Civic down to Mexico City. Had a fender bender. While there was a Honda dealer in the area, my car pre-dated the vintages available in the local market so parts were not readily available. My two options: have a Honda in TX FedEx everything to Honda in Mexico City (and hope multiple rounds of shipments weren't needed), or have the car towed up to the US for repair. Did the latter. Wasn't a calamity or anything as I had the proper insurance in place, but it did make for a small unscheduled logistical adventure. (Upside: since I can't even talk car parts in English, that I pulled it off in Spanish was cause for some small happiness and joy.)
Good points about the parts and dealerships, and what's generally available such as wheel types. Ideally, one would identify high-wear items and carry spares. But there will be unanticipated needs. In reading the ride reports, everyone is having issues finding the exact repair parts they would like. But they always find something to make do. Even with dealers of your brand, as experienced above, they don't necessarily stock parts for your model. I really don't know much about the dealer networks in and around Ecuador. I'd better research it. The only dealers I noticed while running around there were Honda and KTM. Saw a couple of KTM dealers from the bus window while driving by. Went into a couple of dealers with Honda signs to find only Chinese bikes for sale. One large department store type place had a few awesome brand name bikes but they were 1.5 to 2 times as expensive as here, and they didn't have a service shop. You know, it's true you could get in a jam for parts to keep going, so I guess one should consider their bike disposable for a trip such as South America. It's helpful I'm a mechanic and know the names for most parts in Spanish, and when I don't know an exact name, I can explain it well enough for a mechanic there to tell me como se llama.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #23718
roadglider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Jorge como se dice "crankshaft" en espanol ?
roadglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #23719
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglider View Post
cigüeñal

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #23720
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglider View Post
Hola Marty! Como así usted me esta preguntando de aquello?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
cigüeñal
That's the way google translate has it.
The way I learned it was seguiñal. Well, I never saw it written but that's how they said it, not like the above. I guess either way you said it, they'd know what you're talking about.

Interesting you'd ask about that one. Maybe I told you this story. I was in Uruguay about 35 years ago, and marvelling at all the old cars they had there that were in superb condition. Cars were very expensive for the people and they had to really take care of them, doing stuff where we'd just junk 'em. So I was talking to this guy about his car from the 40's and we got into rebuilding specifics. I had to describe this thing in the engine with what Spanish I knew. Funny I'd remember that.
Peace!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #23721
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,631
It's wonderful to see that y'all are enjoying a lovely warm spring back in Virginny. Shore do miss those T-shirt days, all the flowers out and spring odors in the air . . .

Out here West of Seattle y'all know that it rains all the time, and when it's not raining it's all cloudy and gettin' ready to rain . . . Yuppers shore do miss those nice deserted spring roadways too . . . Nothin' to see out here.

Anyways, got bored so decided to exercise the rain suit today . . . hope y'all can see through the rain . . . .

Olympics looking west from Twin Spits, near the northern limit of the Kitsap Peninsula.

Point No Point lighthouse, with the Puget Sound and the North Cascades to the east.

Mt Baker and Mt Shuksan in the far background.

A young couple enjoying their walk in the rain . . . .

I think it was this young lady's mother taking photos of her on the beach in her little black dress, doing her best to look pretty . . .

Cain't see nuthin' in this darn rain . . . .

Usta be other folks what owned this here place . . . kinda the same story from coast to coast I think.

ORexpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #23722
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,404
Looks wonderful!!!

Maybe a great first tag in a NWet TOR?.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:01 AM   #23723
JaxObsessed

Hey Kevin!
I finally used the video camera.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=647
Old 03-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #23724
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,180
Cool Jack. Can't wait to see more videos.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:44 AM   #23725
fragile_this_side_up
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
which one of you did i see in Winchester Sunday afternoon as the snow was falling? at exit 317, heading 11 north.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #23726
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Hey Kevin!
I finally used the video camera.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=647
The motorcycle sound added to the feel.. It was great! Great music too. Who was it?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #23727
JaxObsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
The motorcycle sound added to the feel.. It was great! Great music too. Who was it?
Thanks Blooch... It was me on drums, and three of my buddies from Athens GA... Recorded in the singers basement almost 14 years ago....
Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #23728
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Oddometer: 356
Off Road Maintenance on VStrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
I think the VStrom would be awesome bike 70/30 on a trip like that but it is a bit of a compromise. You have problems with the weight distribution for two+gear, the lack of ground clearance two up and more importantly the suspension has to be set up just right. If you find bad gas or get debris in there, it could be a bit of a nightmare rebuilding an FI system in the dark on some shoulder than flushing a tank/petcock or rebuilding/draining a carb. Chain maintenance is a consideration too when two up and placing increased stresses from luggage weight and dirty roads. I hate chains ( but I also may hate my fibs drive too sometimes). You'd have to get one and try it two up first. In my experience two up on a strom, it was okay but a bit more cramped than i'd like for a long trip. The most important concern would be the passenger comfort and space or back rest. Their footpeg to seat height ratio and fit comfortably with the boxes is crucial. If the wife is happy, everyone is happy right?
You did not mention the royal PITA to clean the air filter on the VStrom. After spending an afternoon disassembling the entire front end of my DL1000 to remove the tank so I could get at the air filter, I decided to swap it for a KLR.
I think the VStrom is a great adventure touring bike and the 650 engine is probably one of the best engines ever produced. It sure beats the KLR on the highway, but I'll take the little Kawi for the dirt any day of the week.
Kawikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #23729
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Thanks Blooch... It was me on drums, and three of my buddies from Athens GA... Recorded in the singers basement almost 14 years ago....
Nice job, man. Those are my kind of roads. Especially the unpainted ones. Gotta watch those mail trucks. That fork right caught me by surprise. I didn't think you were going to make that one stop sign. And it looked like you were doing at least 60 when passing that 35mph sign. Heard you miss that gear, too....

I like to be able to hear the bike running. Makes it more realistic. That was a decent balance between the music and the bike. I also enjoy the music. Everyone sounds great. You're obviously an accomplished drummer. My son is a drummer so I couldn't help but pay attention. The only thing I know how to play is the recording/production engineer.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #23730
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawikazi View Post
You did not mention the royal PITA to clean the air filter on the VStrom. After spending an afternoon disassembling the entire front end of my DL1000 to remove the tank so I could get at the air filter, I decided to swap it for a KLR.
I think the VStrom is a great adventure touring bike and the 650 engine is probably one of the best engines ever produced. It sure beats the KLR on the highway, but I'll take the little Kawi for the dirt any day of the week.
Hey Warren, I suppose it's a function of what roads one wants to ride. It's certainly possible to stick to paved roads in S.A. with the occasional jaunt into fairly decent dirt/gravel roads. I would like to have the option to take the real dirt roads. But therein lies another compromise. To be comfy on the main roads usually means limiting dirt capability. It just seemed that the Wee would be a reasonable compromise. No dirt-blasting, but maybe reasonable off-road and still comfy enough to ride around all day on the back of. I dunno...