ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #23776
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Oddometer: 356
Vstrom Air Filter Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Again, they are doing it by the manual and probably having a few beers. Seriously? They are even counting the seat as an issue? Side panels don't have to come off either nor does the tank completely. Yuppers twenty minutes.
Are you saying you can get the tank off without removing the seat? The guy on the forum was not removing the side fairing panels. Just removing enough hardware so they can be spread apart far enough to remove the tank. I can not visualize how you can access the air box without removing the tank or somehow getting enough seperation between the tank and the air box to remove the eight bolts and the filter. If you can somehow get that seperation, you might as well just remove the tank and get it out of the way. If you have a 20 minute method, you should post details on the forum for all to benefit from.

Kawikazi screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 05:59 PM
Kawikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #23777
SLiP210
you can call me slip

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott P View Post

You need those year round
Old 03-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #23778
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 4,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiP210 View Post

There is no odometer when it comes to pie - VACommuter
$5 Smug Mug coupon
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #23779
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiP210 View Post

2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #23780
Hack
Meet George Jetson

Oddometer: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawikazi View Post
Are you saying you can get the tank off without removing the seat? The guy on the forum was not removing the side fairing panels. Just removing enough hardware so they can be spread apart far enough to remove the tank. I can not visualize how you can access the air box without removing the tank or somehow getting enough seperation between the tank and the air box to remove the eight bolts and the filter. If you can somehow get that seperation, you might as well just remove the tank and get it out of the way. If you have a 20 minute method, you should post details on the forum for all to benefit from.
No, just that they make removing the seat which takes all of ten seconds sound like an issue. Not removing the tank from the bike saves from disconnecting/reconnecting/damaging fuel lines. It's not really in the way. If I tell everyone how to do it how can I charge folks the big bucks? Just kidding, my days being a motorcycle mechanic ended years ago.

You needed to get rid of the Strom anyway, Suzukazi just does not have the same ring to it How is Warren Jr. doing?
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #23781
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
We got 10" down here....

Quit yer braggin'
Besides, it's not how much ya got, it'w whatcha do with it.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #23782
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,462
Well we have to cut firewood in it ....
And we are working in it .. The ground under it isn't really frozen
So we have mud under it ..
We have ruts all over the fields .. It sux...
I'm SICK of it...

Carry on

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #23783
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 4,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawikazi View Post
Take all that stuff off and set it outta the way. The front two bolts in the air-box would be next to impossible to get out with the tank in the way. A rubber gasket goes around the perimeter of the filter in side the air-box; you try jambing it (the filter) in and you'll risk not seating that gasket. That would be bad.

I used to assemble my own air filters by removing the old filter and siliconing a Purolator GA-33590 in its place; cost $5.00. those guys over at Strom Troopers probably have a detailed description.

Mileage dependent: Change your plugs and check your valve clearance while ya got it apart.

As Hack said, a filter replacement shouldn't take much more than 20 minutes and believe me, Stroms are by no means maintenance whores.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 AM   #23784
fragile_this_side_up
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
anyone here have a Yamaha that takes oil filter 5GH-13440-00? R1/R6/FZ400/FZS1000/YZF1000R/YZF600R/Vmax/XVZ1300/FZ6/FZ6N?

i have 3 filters sitting on my desk. i don't need 'em. PM me. take them. freebies!!
Old 03-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #23785
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Warren Jr.

You needed to get rid of the Strom anyway, Suzukazi just does not have the same ring to it How is Warren Jr. doing? [/QUOTE]

Well, I don't claim to be a great mechanic but your a lot better than me if you can pull that off. Warren Jr. moved to Breckenridge, CO in October of last year to find work. He landed a job with a property management company. In January he got employee of the month, which impressed the hell out of me because that means he actually had a job for atleast a whole month .
I'll be heading out there in July to do the Colorado TAT and Colorado Back Country Discovery Route. Warren Jr. has his KLX-250 out there, so hopefully he will join Agstacker (Clarence) and I on this adventure. I'll probably need his strong back to get my KLR out of the ditches every so often.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #23786
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
... As Hack said, a filter replacement shouldn't take much more than 20 minutes ...
That only works if you're by yourself, have no beer, and need to go meet up for a ride within the hour.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #23787
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
anyone here have a Yamaha that takes oil filter 5GH-13440-00? R1/R6/FZ400/FZS1000/YZF1000R/YZF600R/Vmax/XVZ1300/FZ6/FZ6N?

i have 3 filters sitting on my desk. i don't need 'em. PM me. take them. freebies!!

pm sent..........they will fit my Rhino
5punksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #23788
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,920
I have an F650GS filter from the ol singles up for grabs. PM me.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #23789
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

DooHickey Upgrade

Given the fact that it takes me most of an afternoon to do a 20 minute air filter change out on a VStrom, can anyone with KLR experience give me an estimate on how long it should take to do the doohickey upgrade on my KLR? I bought the whole kit from Eagle Mike, so if anyone else is contemplating this upgrade, just buy the lever and spring and you can borrow the tools that come with the kit from me. Other than dropping shit inside the engine case or allowing the idler shaft to fall out while pulling the inner casing, does anyone have any other warnings that I should be aware of ?
Old 03-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #23790
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,920
Ahhh Eagle Mike's Doohickey Mod for the KLR...the origin of the "Cat Herders" namesake

Just ask Gimmeslack, blacksan, Skippii, Oldnogps or Hppycrabguy
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote