ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #23896
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Really? What happened to the DRZ400s you and your dad had?
I sold my DRZ last year year to WayneJ and bought a KTM 525EXC; dad still has his DRZ. Wanted something with more power and better suspension. Well the KTM definitely fit the bill.....just maybe a little too well. Or maybe it's just that crazy person that lives inside most of us that wants to own every bike ever made at least once! Anyways, I've got WR250R on the brain right now, and so I'm testing the waters. If I try one and like it, and think it fits me better than the KTM, then I may start actively looking for one; if not, I guess I'll have to make do with the KTM!

You gonna come out riding with us this year? Laurel Forks maybe?
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #23897
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,513
I just realized your old bike knocked over your new bike last WE.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #23898
tom c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
...I wish we had a picture of that fall - he stuck the landing - a perfect 10!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #23899
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
I didn't think of that at the moment; now that's funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc407 View Post
...I wish we had a picture of that fall - he stuck the landing - a perfect 10!
Yeah, you should've had your GoPro running! Had a chance to go through any of the footage that you took?
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #23900
tom c
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
I didn't think of that at the moment; now that's funny!

Yeah, you should've had your GoPro running! Had a chance to go through any of the footage that you took?
I don't want to talk about the "lost footage". I had the gopro set on camera instead of video, so I only got pictures of when I thought I started and stopped the "video". A major blunder - sorry!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #23901
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc407 View Post
I don't want to talk about the "lost footage". I had the gopro set on camera instead of video, so I only got pictures of when I thought I started and stopped the "video". A major blunder - sorry!
Did you know there is a go pro app that lets you operate the camera remotely with a IPhone, IPad or an IPod using WIFI? I think there is also one for android devices... or is in the works.
You can see a "preview" of where the camera is aimed so you don't take pics or videos of the sky or the ground. You can also scroll thru and change what modes the camera is in, start and stop videos and pics, but you can't review your pics or video.

The one downside I see is it will eat up batteries quicker while in WIFI mode but it would do the same using the remote.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #23902
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Oddometer: 360
Mission Accomplished

Did the Doohickey mod today with a little oversight and technical assistance from George. Procedure went text book perfect with no issues. My bike has 8000 miles on it. Manual calls for tension lever adjustment at 7500 miles by removing little rubber stopper on outside cover, easing lever lock down bolt 1/4 turn and tightening back up. Of course, you can't see what is going on inside with this simple adjustment, but in theory the spring tension takes up any acquired slack in the chain. So, after pulling outside and inside casings you can watch the lever when you loosen the lock down bolt. My spring still had some tension and the lever moved 1/8 inch, but after that the spring was pretty much collapsed. No more tension for any future adjustment. Hence, I would say the modification was timely and necessary despite dealership insistence that they have never seen an issue and don't know what all the hype is about. Torsion spring is the way to go.
Kawikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #23903
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Well the one in the main bathroom is a 1.6 too..
So now both are good to go...
Good to go...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #23904
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
I sold my DRZ last year year to WayneJ and bought a KTM 525EXC; dad still has his DRZ. Wanted something with more power and better suspension. Well the KTM definitely fit the bill.....just maybe a little too well. Or maybe it's just that crazy person that lives inside most of us that wants to own every bike ever made at least once! Anyways, I've got WR250R on the brain right now, and so I'm testing the waters. If I try one and like it, and think it fits me better than the KTM, then I may start actively looking for one; if not, I guess I'll have to make do with the KTM!

Interesting, Denis! Somewhere out there is the perfect bike for each of us; light, predictible, fast and furious. Or some reasonable compromise. It will be interesting to see what you think of the 250. For me, a 250 doesn't have enough grunt to satisfy my need for g's. But that's my crazy person inside. Did you know Honda was coming out with a CRF250L? Should be out in August.

I would love to come riding with you but LF is going to conflict with my son's defense of his dissertation. I hope the weather smiles on you, as unpredictible as it tends to be this time of year, especially lately. To wit, snow is falling here now. But definitely hope to catch up soon. When you gonna be riding down this way after LF? I'd stop by and see you if you still lived at home, on the way to or from my mom's, but you up and moved to MD.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 04-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #23905
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawikazi View Post
Did the Doohickey mod today with a little oversight and technical assistance from George. Procedure went text book perfect with no issues. My bike has 8000 miles on it. Manual calls for tension lever adjustment at 7500 miles by removing little rubber stopper on outside cover, easing lever lock down bolt 1/4 turn and tightening back up. Of course, you can't see what is going on inside with this simple adjustment, but in theory the spring tension takes up any acquired slack in the chain. So, after pulling outside and inside casings you can watch the lever when you loosen the lock down bolt. My spring still had some tension and the lever moved 1/8 inch, but after that the spring was pretty much collapsed. No more tension for any future adjustment. Hence, I would say the modification was timely and necessary despite dealership insistence that they have never seen an issue and don't know what all the hype is about. Torsion spring is the way to go.
Hell, all I did was talk your ear off. And drink all your beer. But what are friends for?
It was fun and you did a great job. And now to go for a ride. After the snow melts.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #23906
tom c
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Did you know there is a go pro app that lets you operate the camera remotely with a IPhone, IPad or an IPod using WIFI? I think there is also one for android devices... or is in the works.
You can see a "preview" of where the camera is aimed so you don't take pics or videos of the sky or the ground. You can also scroll thru and change what modes the camera is in, start and stop videos and pics, but you can't review your pics or video.

The one downside I see is it will eat up batteries quicker while in WIFI mode but it would do the same using the remote.
I have heard of the app....but I don't have the right phone.
Also I have an early version of the gopro - not sure if it can do the wireless thingy.
..something else I want to update....
Old 04-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #23907
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Is any one in need of a Harvest Gold toilet.
Made by Killgore brand !!! From TX

It works~But needs a lid... It has a huge tank...
I just replaced it with a 1.6 gal one...

and Al Bundy wept...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #23908
LXDDLE
ROBBXR

Oddometer: 213
Quote:

Just thought I'd butt in here....I did the KTM 525 thing a few years ago and came to the conclusion that it was just a little too much bike for dual sportin' and trail riddin' central Va., not to mention the issue of maintenance intervals.

I sold it and got a WR250R a couple of years ago and have really enjoyed it. Sure, it's a little buzzy slabbin' across the Valley to the mountains west of Staunton but so what!? It's light, reliable, easy to keep serviced, dealers are everywhere and it's just plain easy to ride. Engine performance is by no means KTM-breathtaking but I get to concentrate on the ride and not dealing with a handful of bike. The Honda is a sweet bike but a notch down in performance from the WR, not to mention being characteristically (for Honda) a little overweight.

The WR is a great trail bike / dual sporter. It's not an enduro racer or an adventure tourer. It's been a good decision for me.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #23909
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

That bike looks great.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #23910
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 28,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
and Al Bundy wept...
This new toilet has a good strong flusher ..
It would make Al Bundy very happy ...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote