ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #24061
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,294
Well yeah, but take a look before deciding. It could well be one of those fantastic paved but unpainted treasures!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #24062
stinkycheezmonky
Deep Fried Monkey

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
I've never done a Nighthawk before, but it can't be too different from other bikes. I put together a thread on changing the tires on my GS a few years ago, maybe that will help:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148614

Doug
Thanks for that, Doug!
stinkycheezmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #24063
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Here's the quick way:

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 04-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #24064
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

This way takes longer.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #24065
fragile_this_side_up
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkycheezmonky View Post
Thanks for that, Doug!
Hey Adam!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #24066
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
i plan on improving my gravel proficiency greatly, but hate doing so on the SV. hence the interest in a 2012 strom. i know it can be done, i've had mine up to 45 on gravel. but i just don't like it. i may stick to 220 for now. ;)

also prefer to not be by myself in gravel.
Gravel is OK, but dirt and rox are better! I think it's great you're pondering more off-pavement riding, there is a huge gorgeous world of back roads out there. When I moved to Virginia ~5.5 years ago from Wyoming I sold my dirt bikes and brought only a BMW RT and GS because I stupidly thought there wouldn't be anyplace to ride a dirt bike. I sold the RT after about 2 years because it just wasn't getting ridden. I felt like the GS was the perfect tool for this area, but I missed riding a real dirt bike (one that doesn't weigh 550 pounds ) so I just got a WR250R and have been searching for some seriously untamed routes to try that thing out. Still looking, sadly. It seems most of the roads around here are pretty tame, but I'm sure there are some gems I just haven't discovered yet.

I've only had time between the snow, rain, work, and family to put about 200 miles on it, but it even likes the water just fine and is a lot less dramatic than the GS!

Got her out the other night for a quick spin after chores, mowing, family stuff; I'm really liking this thing!

I think you'll find riding in the dirt will seriously enhance your riding skills in all conditions. In my experience, dirt riding skills transfer pretty well to asphalt. Good luck to you!

Doug
Old 04-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #24067
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
Gravel is OK, but dirt and rox are better!
...Doug
Hey Doug, nice looking bike. Street-legal, right? If you would like to come up this way sometime when I can go riding, I'll take you on some stuff it'll like.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #24068
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,242
Yeah, that really IS a nice looking bike!
Hey Doug, hope it's treating you well, glad to see you've had a little time to get it out.
(Yeah, that was my WRR...)
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #24069
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Can't believe you parted with that sweetie....
Old 04-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #24070
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Can't believe you parted with that sweetie....
You don't know him very well then...

Love 'em and leave 'em. That's the way.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #24071
fragile_this_side_up
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
haha. thanks guys. i'm looking for the "entry level" gravel roader.. cause that's really what there is a lot of out here. a 2012 Wee. ;) no dirtbike yet... someday, i'm sure.. just not yet.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #24072
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post

I'm not complaining! I can't afford to be a bike pimp, time or money.

That is a seriously sweet machine and Ted had it set up just right, but it was a bit tall! I'm about 7 inches shorter, could barely touch my toes to the ground.

I'd love to get together with you guys and test it out sometime! When I lived in Wyoming I could find good stuff like this, but my DR650 was just too heavy for much of that. Got anything like this out here??

The WR would have been fantastic! The shot above is just below timberline, about 10,500 feet elevation so the fuel injection would have been nice too! Just a few miles from my house, the Wind River Mountains near Lander:

I had a KLR250 as well, wonderful bike, but it got a little gutless at altitude as well.

I was SERIOUSLY missing having a dirt bike and the motorcycling Gawds were looking out for me and sent Ted my way. I'm thrilled to be back in the saddle and anxious to find some good roads!

Doug
Old 04-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #24073
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post

Don't complain hppyfngy - I won't sell you another good weeStrom next time I have one!
Yeah, I've been lucky to be able to try a lot of different bikes. Or the same bikes more than once.
Hey, I don't drink, gamble, smoke or play golf, gotta have some vice
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #24074
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS View Post
Don't complain hppyfngy - I won't sell you another good weeStrom next time I have one!
Yeah, I've been lucky to be able to try a lot of different bikes. Or the same bikes more than once.
Hey, I don't drink, gamble, smoke or play golf, gotta have some vice
Who's complaining? I'm jealous. Well, okay I did imagine having first refusal on the WR before you sold it... but I didn't ask for it...

I'll ask next time.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #24075
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,682

Hi from the waterfront, down in Newport News.

I am looking to spend a few days up in the GWNF in a couple of weeks. Can anybody recommend a safe spot to stash a truck for three days? I would like to park somewhere just east of the GWNF near 250 or 33. (Staunton or Harrisonburg areas).

Here is a pic of me from last year's foray into the GWNF:

This is my favorite pic of my bike :)

nuggets screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 05:57 PM
nuggets is online now   Reply With Quote