ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 05:44 AM   #24841
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by valongbeard View Post
How are you liking the new wee?
Loving it. Such a great bike for what I wanted. Commuting and the occasional gravel road.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #24842
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

Oddometer: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
Loving it. Such a great bike for what I wanted. Commuting and the occasional gravel road.
they are awesome. any comments on the comparison against the old style wee? i love mine and couldnt imagine a better "one-bike" choice for my needs. some day i will want to replace it and i dont know what it will be
Old 06-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #24843
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,327
Quote:
they are awesome. any comments on the comparison against the old style wee? i love mine and couldnt imagine a better "one-bike" choice for my needs. some day i will want to replace it and i dont know what it will be
Haha made me chuckle. Same way I've felt about my Sabre for some time. It's pretty versatile, comfortable, holds plenty of gear and wife for trips, and can spank some asphalt. But now I think I could make do with something different if I had to. Might even be interesting....
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #24844
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Dave, glad the ol' Wee is still working for you! You must have 60, 70K on her by now . . . .

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #24845
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I've never run a rim lock and don't ever see the necessity myself but I believe I've heard of running two, one opposite the other to help balance the tire? I can't imagine running one without some kind of balancing done. Wouldn't the tire be so out of balance as to make the bike un-ridable?
I'd think so, but with two blown fork seals and no fork oil and an out of balance front, I didn't notice the rear tire being especially noticeable. Now that the front is in good shape again, I definitely wanted to balance the rear.

Some people run two rimlocks.
I think I'd rather run none than deal with a trailside flat repair with dual locks.

Anyway, my rimlock is directly opposite the valve stem, so I'd have to drill two new holes if I wanted to run two.
That brings up another point, though.... I'd always heard that the rimlock should be very close to the valve stem, as that's where it's most effective and at preventing it from being ripped out. Mine is as far as possible from the valve stem, presumably in a failed attempt to make it balance more easily. Thoughts?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #24846
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
Dave, glad the ol' Wee is still working for you! You must have 60, 70K on her by now . . . .
oh. how i wish i had seen that many. i am almost at 48k. i ride it often, but mostly as a year round commuter and only 6 miles round trip. booooo. as the kids grow i hope to spend more time in the seat, but i am not wishing their childhood away. i will cherish my time with them while i have it. with any luck i will get at least one girl who will want to ride with me.

i have threatened to take my oldest girl motorcycle camping with me this summer, but my wife counter-threatened to remove some of the spice from our bedroom. i think i will hold off on the camping for now. maybe wait till momma has warmed up to the idea a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Haha made me chuckle. Same way I've felt about my Sabre for some time. It's pretty versatile, comfortable, holds plenty of gear and wife for trips, and can spank some asphalt. But now I think I could make do with something different if I had to. Might even be interesting....
ya, george. i guess everybody has their perfect bike. i think i have found mine.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #24847
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Heck if I know. I only started riding last year and the only other bike I own is an 03 sv650 which is a great bike. Other bikes I have ridden are an 07 sv650 an 00 sv650 a kawasaki w650 and a buell xb9sx. So nothing but street twins. Hahaa. And mostly sv's.. so not sure about an older wee.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #24848
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

since i am whoring on the posts anyway, let me put in a quick plug for my new headset. i recently purchased a SENA SMH5 FM headset for my helmet. i looked around a bit and was frustrated by the complexity of so many of the headsets out in the market. i used one my buddy had with 6 tiny stinking buttons. i was always pushing the wrong one and screwing it up. i just couldnt find the right button through my gloves.

i bought a scala rider Q2 off the flea market, but found out the bluetooth was only good for my phone calls and i had to cable in to listen to music. whats that about?

this sena model is one button and a knob. well thats pretty easy. and the blue tooth controls everything. i have phone calls, music, navigation, everything i need. the fm models have a built in fm tuner with 10 station presets, which seems to work pretty well, and the speakers are thicker with better sound quality than the standard model. this thing was half the price of a lot of the other units too. i got a dual pack for about $225. matter of fact, my father-in-law liked it so well, i just bought another dual pack for him.

anyway, i thought i would share. if you find that you are in the market, check this thing out. i am pleased with mine.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #24849
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,327
Laugh

Quote:
oh. how i wish i had seen that many. i am almost at 48k. i ride it often, but mostly as a year round commuter and only 6 miles round trip. booooo. as the kids grow i hope to spend more time in the seat, but i am not wishing their childhood away. i will cherish my time with them while i have it. with any luck i will get at least one girl who will want to ride with me.

i have threatened to take my oldest girl motorcycle camping with me this summer, but my wife counter-threatened to remove some of the spice from our bedroom. i think i will hold off on the camping for now. maybe wait till momma has warmed up to the idea a bit more.

ya, george. i guess everybody has their perfect bike. i think i have found mine.
It appears the good Lord has blessed you with wisdom, Dave.

I know we hear it all the time, but I can attest first-hand that it goes by fast. Our kids are starting families of their own and we just celebrated 32 years of marriage. And we took our time with our kids and were 100% actively involved with their upbringing. It's been a great adventure, and we're still gettin' it! (albeit a more relaxed pace) Perhaps fellow couple-riders/campers like us can help you warm up your wife to the idea of riding and camping with you and/or letting you take your firstborn. I used to take my little girl riding when she was so small she had to sit in front of me. Whenever she'd see me on the bike, she'd beg me to take her for a ride! She loved the wheelies....

Well, no bike's perfect, but two adequately satisfy my needs. The Sabre is a great street / touring / twisties / camping bike. But it's no trail bike! (although I did take my wife on the back with it from Reddish Knob to Elkhorn Lake on FR85 / 95 - real slowly). The XRL is a pretty darn good trail bike and it does surprisingly well on the paved roads, but it's no street bike nor is it comfy for passengers. I took her on the back up Union and out Switzer so she could see where we go - she is adamant about not repeating the experience! Now, if only the bike could morph from one into the other at the nod of the head. hehe
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #24850
Mtngoat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
They're all a compromise

I've recently been giving some thought to getting rid of my Wee. Thought about something smaller and dirtier, maybe a 250 WR or DRZ400. I got the FJR for the heavy lifting, but I just can't bring myself to parting with the "Goat". It continues to be a capable beast of burden and has never complained. If I could only have one bike, the choice is clear. The Wee is the best compromise I've found.

2004 WeeStrom
2003 Yamaha FJR "Road Toad"
1988 K75C Left me for another woman...the bitch.
Mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #24851
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtngoat View Post
The Wee is the best compromise I've found.
There is an unfortunate truth in this statement. No one bike can do everything perfectly. Like others, I have found the Wee to be a great COMPROMISE of the things I like to do. It is no sport bike, but exceeds my abilities in the twisties. Only once do I recall wanting more than the bike had available. It is no dirt bike. Too heavy (for my abilities) and not enough suspension. But again, for what I do, it is often sufficient. A great fit for the most of my riding.

If i could add another bike to the garage it would be a light weight dirt lover, similar to the XT I had; ideally the 250 WR.

But as a single bike kinda guy, I love my Wee.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #24852
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,016
The nation's capitol tonite

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #24853
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,856
The Capitol earlier today...

That's right, I'm living the glamorous lifestyle of the entertainment industry! . Setting up for the July 4th festivities.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:52 AM   #24854
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
Any opinions about a Fall Laurel Fork Thundersnow campout?
Old 07-01-2013, 04:43 AM   #24855
twigsnapper
How did I get here?

Oddometer: 530
sad cat

http://www.toilette-humor.com/funny_...m_medium=email
2008 dr650se
twigsnapper is online now   Reply With Quote