ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #24946
T!Mster
Lets Ride!!

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAANG View Post

H14 made me do it.
DANG!!! I miss you FF's already!

Made it to the desert yesterday. Now its time to catch up on Ride Reports in my spare time.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #24947
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,513
Quote:
H14 made me do it.
I'm sure he did.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #24948
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
We had a delivery of tubes(river type) a few weeks back. The freight companies driver used a GPS to route him to our store in Bentonville...

It routed him onto Panhandle road(of all places) and got he got it hung up in a sharp curve. Had to get a tow truck to get him unstuck.

The driver was a royal pain in the ass. He kept calling the shop every 5 minutes saying no one has shown up yet with the wrecker and we had abandoned him. ...

Did I mention this started exactly 5 minutes after we told him we had JUST called the towing company and it would most likely be an HOUR+ before someone could get there with a wrecker.

So now Panhandle Road has been traversed by a tractor trailer...sorta!

Untitled by fragile_this_side_up_retro_club, on Flickr

Untitled by fragile_this_side_up_retro_club, on Flickr
Old 07-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #24949
Todd34
Toubab

Oddometer: 907
Quote:

H14 made me do it.
Ha! Nice help Kev. "Here, let me turn off your bike. Oh, you want an ambulance? You sure you don't want to give it another try first?"
Todd34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #24950
Todd34
Toubab

Oddometer: 907
Happy Birthday Rhonda!!!
Todd34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #24951
macaroni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Happy Birthday Rhonda!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #24952
T

Oddometer: 5,183
Happy birthday Miss Rhonda.

Hope you're enjoying your Summer.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #24953
Hack

Oddometer: 3,807
Happy Birthday Rhonda.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #24954
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,893
Happy birthday Rhonda!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #24955
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

Oddometer: 1,282
you can never have too many, so. . .

Happy Birthday Rhonda, Queen of the pumpkin roll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mica View Post
I liked his form but the results were negligible.
valongbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #24956
tom c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by T!Mster View Post
DANG!!! I miss you FF's already!

Made it to the desert yesterday. Now its time to catch up on Ride Reports in my spare time.
Take care Tim. Hope to see you at another event soon.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #24957
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,930
Late to the party...

Happy Birthday Rhonda!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #24958
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
I have Mondays and Tuesdays off work.
My plan is to spend them riding off-road.

Last few weeks have been spent putting new tires on the bike, balancing and repairing the rims, rejetting the carbs, fixing fork seals (Thanks Guy!) and whatever else needed to be done.
This week, I went riding for the first time since Laurel Fork. Well, I put new bakes on in the morning, then went riding in the morning. Much, much better brakes now...

I wanted to ride somewhere I'd been before, but something a bit challenging.
I realized I'd never ridden from union springs to Dunkle Hollow and out Skidmore Fork, even though I've ridden it the other direction plenty of times. So that seemed like a good idea.

A few pics:
I don't remember these rocks being quite so...rocky. Erosion, I suppose? Easy enough to ride down, but glad I wasn't coming the other direction.

Shortly after that, I came to this spot.

Damn, I felt like that kicked my ass. Couldn't get enough traction on the rocks/dirt to go up it slowly, and chickened out about backing up and attacking it with more speed... something about bashing rocks with the front wheel makes me nervous. Really don't want to dent the rim or pinch the tube...
I ended up just lifting the bike up over the rocks. Maybe I'm just really out of shape, but that exhausted me. I sat down for a minute, drank a liter of water and got back on the bike. Felt quite disappointed in myself after that.

I remembered that coming the other direction, there used to be a rocky descent immediately following Meadow Knob. I was not looking forward to going up that given what just happened...but then it turned out to pretty easy riding going up, and then I was here. Beautiful view.

One thing that really surprised me was how dry it was. Even that huge mud pit on Dunkle Hollow or Slate Spring or whichever road it is wasn't very muddy. This was Monday - the first sunny and hot day I'd seen in a week (at least from Richmond). The water crossings were surprisingly dry. Some had a little water. Others, like this one on Skidmore Fork, had none at all.

Once I 33, I decided to check for a the Valley Dual-sport tag. The only clue given was that it was on a dirt road that came off either rt 11 or rt 33 withing 45 minutes of Harrisonburg, but I thought the pictures looked a little like Kephart Run. All I could remember from the description of the tag location was that it was before a bunch of butterflies, but...well, lets just say I didn't see the mascot anywhere I decided to start heading home.

I took 42 back down to Clifton Forge, stopping in Craigsville around 8pm for my first meal of the day.

Some of you might know my obsession with milkshakes. For those who don't: I sometimes drink about 3 or 4 milkshakes a week. Wherever I see what looks like a good one, I stop and try one.
I had a Blueberry milkshake that day with a Cowboy Burger, but they had a list of 10 flavours, so I'll probably be back.
A shake a a burger comes to $6.66, which made the cashier give me a funny look, but I find it hard to believe that it really surprises them, given their name. I got back to CF around 9pm, finishing exactly 200 miles, and averaging 35 miles per gallon - the best I've ever gotten on this bike by far.
With the smaller main jet in the right carb, it also ran much smoother than before...except for the last 40 miles. No idea why, but after I had that dinner, it ran like crap. Maybe something to do with the colder rain clouds that appeared while I ate?

When I got back home, I chatted with HBN and he told me to check out a cool road close to where I was.
So the next day I decided to do just a very short ride. Riding off road a lot always makes my quads ache at work for a few days afterwards, so I figured I should start slow as I get back into it.
Mike told me there was an overlook at the top of a mountain by Longdale Furnace, and promised that the view would be fantastic.
Shortly after getting on the dirt road, I remember that I had actually been on this one before, but on the CBR-600F2, so I didn't exactly ride it very fast. I never new there was any kind of overlook or anything, and certainly didn't know there was a radio transmitting building just off the main road at the top.

About half a mile further on, there was a pull-off with a few spots where you could overlook the valley, and then a short walking trail that lead to a nice walled overlook of the valley.

Okay, not quite the view for which I'd been hoping, but an enjoyable ride nevertheless. I was quite impressed by the Kenda Trackmaster II tires I put on. Good grip both on and off road, and they seem to give good feedback when you're pushing grip offroad.

So there it is...the first in what will hopefully be a nice series of Monday and Tuesday rides. I'm going to Las Vegas this coming week, so it'll be late July before I get to do another one, unfortunately.

If anyone has suggestions for nice similar road, especially ones closer to the clifton forge/covington areas, that would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone wants to join, just send me a message.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #24959
campcook
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. Just got back from Goosecreeks ride to shoot. Great birthday spent riding and hanging out with friends.
campcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #24960
ecubed
LFC Cat

Oddometer: 695
Water Cat

Hi All,

Been up here in Halifax a month now and finally got the bike out. It has been raining for two weeks and the sun finally came out so off I go. I got a new Garmin Montana and it is my friend. Peggy's Cove is abooot 30mi from the house. Nice twisty country roads.....next is Cape Breton for some camping. Anybody passing thru or want to stay a while, I have nice digs.

This place is a rock

Feel the breeze?

Sorry to miss the RTS but I will try to get back for the fall BWDR
CIAO!