ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 05:07 AM   #25231
HalfPlate
What? Where?
 
HalfPlate's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Eastern VA
Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
I am taking my crotch fruit (ages 2 and 4) car camping up in the GWNF tomorrow. This is all part of my evil plan to induct them into the dual sport lifestyle. Since they are still too small for pillion, I'll start learnin them in the ancient art of talkin smack round the campfire.

I know a few spots, but I am taking recommendations too.

Here is what I am looking for:
1. Proximity to a creek/water for the boys to play in.
2. No big cliffs to fall off of.
3. Near other cool stuff for them to see/do (short drives are ok).

I welcome your PM's.

Thanks in advance.
Alhambra Rd
37.7846, -79.0946

Beautiful place to camp, nice gravel road access, right on the river, closer than WV and close to kid friendly activities.
__________________
-07 R1200GS
-07 Ruckus
5th BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2013
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #25232
OleGrumpy
TFM/ODS Proficient
 
OleGrumpy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Mountains of Virginia
Oddometer: 10,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
I am taking my crotch fruit (ages 2 and 4) car camping up in the GWNF tomorrow. This is all part of my evil plan to induct them into the dual sport lifestyle. Since they are still too small for pillion, I'll start learnin them in the ancient art of talkin smack round the campfire.

I know a few spots, but I am taking recommendations too.

Here is what I am looking for:
1. Proximity to a creek/water for the boys to play in.
2. No big cliffs to fall off of.
3. Near other cool stuff for them to see/do (short drives are ok).

I welcome your PM's.

Thanks in advance.
How about over in the Fort Valley? Northern end has several camp grounds and there is a creek. Occasionally, there are mermaids that crawl out of the water to sun bath on the rocks!
__________________
Come Revolution, proletarians (how you say, "Joe Sixpack?") not having anything to worry.
Ah, but Ruling Elite, is being different question, altogether.
OleGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #25233
ONandOFF
-ROAD-
 
ONandOFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley riding wonderland
Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS View Post
That GS was my favorite bike - ever (when it had only two wheels).
If it wasn't so damn heavy and/or I wasn't such a lightweight, I'd still have it. I liked the 1200ADV that followed it OK but never as much as that '02 1150ADV.
It does look like a quality bike.

So, the 1200 was lighter than the 1150?
__________________
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #25234
ONandOFF
-ROAD-
 
ONandOFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley riding wonderland
Oddometer: 5,326
Switzer/Skidmore has some nice basic camping opportunities. Camp Todd is remote yet easy access west of Braley Pond along FR95. If you want amenities and don't mind a small fee, there's Todd Lake, great for small kids with its beach and more. Hone Quarry is an enjoyable area with a short steep hike to an overlook. And there's the popular yet scenic Brandywine. Carry the dual-sport along for taking them on trail rides. :-)
__________________
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #25235
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Earlysville, Virginia
Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
It does look like a quality bike.

So, the 1200 was lighter than the 1150?
Yes, 1200's are lighter (a relative term for sure). They're all behemoths when moving them around the garage, sweet as soon as you're moving.
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #25236
ONandOFF
-ROAD-
 
ONandOFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley riding wonderland
Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS View Post
Yes, 1200's are lighter (a relative term for sure). They're all behemoths when moving them around the garage, sweet as soon as you're moving.
Fascinating! That's cool, sounds like you get more for less, so to speak. I would have thought the larger to be heavier. But the1200 make more power, yes? So what about the 1150 caused you to like it better?
__________________
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #25237
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Earlysville, Virginia
Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Fascinating! That's cool, sounds like you get more for less, so to speak. I would have thought the larger to be heavier. But the1200 make more power, yes? So what about the 1150 caused you to like it better?
The 1150 is smoother IMO than the 1200 (mine was an '08 ADV). The 1150 that I sold Brian had new Ohlins on it and Anton had just rebuilt the final drive when I got it, bike never let me down and I had some great rides on it (and those great rides always skew ones judgement, eh?). The build quality is better on the 1150's - no cheesy sheet metal on the tank - but those weight savings, which was a big factor for me, have to come from somewhere.
To be fair, the 1200 had very good fuel injection, perhaps slightly better than the '02 1150 and for sure better than my '01 1150GS and light years better than the poor low speed surging on both of my '95 and '96 GS 1100's. 1200 has more power and, coupled with the weight advantage, it's noticeable. Not a huge factor for me (at 145 lbs. I already have a favorable power to weight ratio ). 1200 handled great but had stock shocks (I sold the bike at 10k so they weren't worn out quite yet...) and so it's unfair to compare to the 1150 with Ohlins. Still, even carrying the extra weight, the 1150 was hell on sport bikes in the crooked stuff. 1200 was no slouch but not as composed or confidence inspiring.
I'll say this: it was mighty difficult watching that 1200 go to it's new home in NC knowing that I'll probably never be able to have another one. Just too much weight for me.
I'm still waiting for an Adventurized 500cc version of the WR250R...good luck on that.
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #25238
hppyfngy
not dead yet
 
hppyfngy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Where the Skyline meets the BRP
Oddometer: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS View Post
I'm still waiting for an Adventurized 500cc version of the WR250R...good luck on that.
Me too, brother... me too...
__________________
Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #25239
ONandOFF
-ROAD-
 
ONandOFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley riding wonderland
Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS View Post
The 1150 is smoother IMO than the 1200 (mine was an '08 ADV). The 1150 that I sold Brian had new Ohlins on it and Anton had just rebuilt the final drive when I got it, bike never let me down and I had some great rides on it (and those great rides always skew ones judgement, eh?). The build quality is better on the 1150's - no cheesy sheet metal on the tank - but those weight savings, which was a big factor for me, have to come from somewhere.
To be fair, the 1200 had very good fuel injection, perhaps slightly better than the '02 1150 and for sure better than my '01 1150GS and light years better than the poor low speed surging on both of my '95 and '96 GS 1100's. 1200 has more power and, coupled with the weight advantage, it's noticeable. Not a huge factor for me (at 145 lbs. I already have a favorable power to weight ratio ). 1200 handled great but had stock shocks (I sold the bike at 10k so they weren't worn out quite yet...) and so it's unfair to compare to the 1150 with Ohlins. Still, even carrying the extra weight, the 1150 was hell on sport bikes in the crooked stuff. 1200 was no slouch but not as composed or confidence inspiring.
I'll say this: it was mighty difficult watching that 1200 go to it's new home in NC knowing that I'll probably never be able to have another one. Just too much weight for me.
I'm still waiting for an Adventurized 500cc version of the WR250R...good luck on that.
Very interesting; thanks for the insight! You know, I've never had the experience of riding any BMW. You've been an aficionado for, well, apparently quite some time. One day I'd like to find out what the hoopla is about.
It's interesting how you bring up the quality/weight comparison. I ride a 28 year old street bike, it really is very well engineered and built, and it's heavy. But despite it's weight, it's really quite fast. And it handles pretty ok. But it's taken me a good while to get used to it, if I even am yet. But I'm a small framed guy as well, so it can be a real challenge to negotiate when not under way.
And then the aftermarket shock issue. A few days ago I changed the original rear shock on my bike to a Works Performance which a friend of mine had on his Sabre. It was underdamped at first but I cranked the rebound up to approximately critically damped. I still have to increase the preload on the spring to reduce the sag, which is puzzling since my friend was notably heavier and it was supposedly set up especially for him. I have to wonder... But it does seem to ride smoother and follow the ondulations better. I suspected perhaps the nitrogen pressure had dropped causing the excess sag, but Works tells me that's not a factor. That surprised me.
I can imagine it must be sentimental to pass fine machines on to new owners. I guess one can just hope they care for them. I do know exactly what you mean about the particularly memorable rides and how those solidify our opinions of bikes. I've had some damn good rides on both my Hondas.
I believe that dealing with the sheer weight of my street bike has, over time, helped to made my 650 dirt bike seem lighter. The 650 seemed unweildly heavy for dirt riding when I first got it. It's taken some years but I've seemed to have gotten used to it as it doesn't seem all that heavy now. It can now feel super light and super agile sometimes. But then, sometimes that massive street bike can feel very agile, so perhaps a big factor is state-of-mind.
I like the idea of a light, capable adventure-style bike. For example, I can't quite imagine myself being comfortable riding a big ol' liter-sized bike around Latin America. But yet, I'd want one that could carry a pillion and enough gear for the both of us without overloading the bike and while still having enough power to blast around slow traffic on mountain ascents.
__________________
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #25240
nuggets
Fries with that?
 
nuggets's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Virgina
Oddometer: 1,719
Thanks for all the camping suggestions. We ended up camping by FR95 next to the North River. The spawn had a blast. We bailed yesterday afternoon after getting rained on most of the day. As soon as we got home, they were asking to go camping again.
__________________
2001 400 EXC "Punkin" | 2005 Sherco 290 "Tree Climber"
Nuggets' free bike tech clinic.
nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #25241
ONandOFF
-ROAD-
 
ONandOFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley riding wonderland
Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
Thanks for all the camping suggestions. We ended up camping by FR95 next to the North River. The spawn had a blast. We bailed yesterday afternoon after getting rained on most of the day. As soon as we got home, they were asking to go camping again.
Awesome! Glad to be of help. Sorry about the rain, though. Today it's nice and sunny, at least for now...
__________________
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #25242
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!
 
LadyDraco's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Some of the best roads in the east..
Oddometer: 27,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Yep, that was mine. dnepr chair, dmc rear car wheel and steering mod, ohlins shocks and russel seat. It is Teds old GS.
Well it sold on Ebay for $8 k...
I was really thinking of bidding on it For the hack part....
__________________
TISE
Life is what you make of it~
If it don't fit make alterations

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #25243
DCrider
Live from THE Hill
 
DCrider's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 4,011
Hanging in ur neck o the woods Goose, we r unexpectedly stopped here in Bedford for the night on way home from Charlotte, BRP was gorgeous ride today, cool air and empty

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
ADV'ing from America's fine Crapital...
DCrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #25244
H14
I Gotta Go!
 
H14's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Oddometer: 4,314
DCRider, check your PMs.
__________________
http://www.crazyfoxcoffee.com/ Discount code ADV
"I'm gonna ride till my money runs out"-eddie bolted
H14 and Campcook wandering aimlessly 2-up
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #25245
DCrider
Live from THE Hill
 
DCrider's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 4,011
Replied

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
ADV'ing from America's fine Crapital...
DCrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014