ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #25771
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,978
Im not going to make that but check the RTE thread for an up date by xcrider

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #25772
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 11,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiP210 View Post
I almost did that as a youngster
Been a long time for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott P View Post
Must be an engineer thing......
ENGINEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Imagine Ricardo Mantalban saying it.
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang ..That thing is huge!!! Jax
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #25773
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS View Post
Versys seems pretty nice but a 17" front isn't really what I want. .... Also, not a lot of room to the pegs but I believe a peg lowering kit is made for them.
I keep wondering when the Japanese will have to upgrade the DR's, KLR's, XR's to keep the feds happy. ... Noise and emission regs will eventually kill any aircooled engine ... it sure seems like there's bound to be a change sometime soon.
I mentioned the CB500X because it looks like such a nice, compact, modern design. How kickass would it be to have that powerplant as a new XR? ...
I guess it all boils down to what kinds of terrain you expect to ride. Sure, for any significant offroad undulations, the 21" front wheel is the ticket. But for riding the smooth stuff, a 17" should be fine. It would take a pretty good pothole to get that caught. If long legs have you cramped on a bike, special seat work to raise/fatten it could help. Raising the suspension and/or lowering the pegs can add additional stretch. Most people end up making modifications to a bike so I wouldn't sweat it too much if your requirements are unique. But as I was alluding to earlier, if you're looking for a taller bike with some stretch, power, and handling, the XR650L is capable of conquering anything you can throw at it and keep you smiling. Not to mention, there's tons of support, accessories, and mods within easy reach.

The impetus for change is usually one of two things: slumping sales or government intervention. Look at how Honda and others had to drop their larger bikes to under 750cc in order to counter the "Harley tariff" our beloved government bestowed upon the industry. So unless exhaust regs. change or people get tired of buying them, they'll keep crankng them out. I don't know why the enduro/dual-sport/offroad bikes are dominated by single cylinder designs (thumpers) - my guess would be weight. But it seems like a twin could be developed at a similar weight, at least in the 650 class. Heck, Honda made a sweet 500 V4 and that thing could spin out the horses - but another consideration is dissipating the heat of the inefficiency of the gasoline engine, the amount of which is a percentage of the horsepower being used. And trail bikes have to operate in conditions where the available cooling capacity is strangled by slower speeds. By the time you add larger radiators, fans, their protection, etc., it's back to a weight issue. We've got to be able to muscle those things around somewhat and it can be challenging out in the boonies. I guess you know that KLRs, CRFs, and others are liquid-cooled - that doesn't seem to make them any quieter than their air-cooled brethren however they may be able to keep a tighter reign on their emissions. Motorcycles should be exempt from emissions regulations anyway if you think about it. First, there's so few (in relative terms), and second, they're so small, using very little fuel and air per unit (in relative terms). Finally, an operator in generally going to be concerned about the health of his bike and will more often than not keep it in good working order including mixture. So why strangle the industry? "Do-gooders" be damned.

If you want a bike to ride, you can find one to fit your purpose. Just head out and open your ears - one will speak to you. Your options broaden greatly once you start to consider including older bikes in the pool of possibilities.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #25774
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
...ENGINEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Imagine Ricardo Mantalban saying it.
Ingenieros dirá. See, the word in his native tongue looks like "ingenious".
I guess since we have what they perceive as unfair advantages, we can't blame the masses for taking advantage of any opportunity to poke fun. After all, leveling the playing field trumps encouraging one another.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #25775
JaxObsessed

I'm too stupid to know what you are talking about.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #25776
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #25777
JaxObsessed

He said mierda.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #25778
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Thank you. I started to jump back in but thought better of it.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #25779
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
I'm too stupid to know what you are talking about.
It's okay. You can ride and that's all that matters.

ONandOFF screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 08:27 AM
Old 08-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #25780
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Special kudos to anyone who notices which word he misspelled.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #25781
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
Thank you. I started to jump back in but thought better of it.

It's comfy on the porch.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #25782
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,055
caramba

Wait, kudos?

Never mind. I don't need no stinkin' kudos.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #25783
roadglider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Should be Hay not Aye
roadglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #25784
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 11,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
It's okay. You can ride and that's all that matters.
Now that's funny.......don't care who u are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #25785
roadglider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
George you should have said words as carumba is wrong too. Hay caramba Los pendejos.
roadglider is offline   Reply With Quote