ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #26956
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecubed View Post
650T is for Topo.....comes with 100k topo which is NOT 24k topo...24k is the fine detail. I added the NT maps and the awesome Garmin mounts for the car and the bike.

The 650T just happens to come with a camera. Get the 600 and all of the maps you desire.
eee
Yeah, that 100K topo is a good money making gimmick. Basically worthless. There is the base unit(600, the one I've been looking at), the one with camera(650) and the one with camera and Topo(650T).
I prefer the topo maps from here

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php

But looking at the unit Slip just got, Its more like what I used to have with blue tooth and MP3 capability. Hmmm.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #26957
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,810
Can you upload tracks to it. I like my NUVI 500 but cannot upload tracks without making it a map. I have the 100K topos on the card. No routing but it has all the trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiP210 View Post
6....... I still have to learn how to use it

bwalsh..........390lm. It will be a while before I can tell you if I like it or not. It should have come with a remote starter for the bike and auto pilot for the price

Dean......maybe Thursday, I will text you

Kevin.........even with the latest in satellite navigation, I dont have your leadership skills. Nice try

Jax.......Hi Jack

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #26958
ecubed
LFC Cat

Oddometer: 695
If I had MP3,,,I would play Pink Floyd; Comfortably Numb and drive off of a cliff......on Rt 33. If my phone rang in my ear I would drive off a cliff on Rt 250....

I need to concentrate!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #26959
ecubed
LFC Cat

PS: Your TOPO maps need to be in book form in a wasserpruf cartridge.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #26960
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I need to concentrate!
Concentrate on what? What are you talking about?

Quote:
PS: Your TOPO maps need to be in book form in a wasserpruf cartridge.
What? You can load them onto a SD or Micro SD card.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #26961
ecubed
LFC Cat

I find the TOPO 100k just fine....it gives me just enough info on elev and fire roads. If I want hardcore...I follow paper, compass and the sun. Gazetter and other maps.

In the mid 90's, Davey Coombs organized the Blackwater 200 Dual Sport for a few years from Davis WV. We went up Cabin Mountain on trails and then they were ribboned off to follow another underused path. You could tell they were wagon trails. The two companies closed all of the off road land due to environmental pressure. His explanation for the detour was that the Monongahela Power and Westvaco timber did not own this land....it was "Public land" on the county maps from the 1800's. Public. Mon on one side, Westvaco on the other side of the 'trail' He found them in the courthouse.

Find your own maps and follow them. Electronic maps are only superficial.

another Norton
Old 11-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #26962
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I find the TOPO 100k just fine....it gives me just enough info on elev and fire roads. If I want hardcore...I follow paper, compass and the sun. Gazetter and other maps.

In the mid 90's, Davey Coombs organized the Blackwater 200 Dual Sport for a few years from Davis WV. We went up Cabin Mountain on trails and then they were ribboned off to follow another underused path. You could tell they were wagon trails. The two companies closed all of the off road land due to environmental pressure. His explanation for the detour was that the Monongahela Power and Westvaco timber did not own this land....it was "Public land" on the county maps from the 1800's. Public. Mon on one side, Westvaco on the other side of the 'trail' He found them in the courthouse.

Find your own maps and follow them. Electronic maps are only superficial.

another Norton
Regarding paper verses electronic maps...

You're preaching to the choir, and to someone who owns more than 150 Quad maps, 8 Gazetteer maps and numerous other maps. Yes I am a recovering map addict!

The only reason I had the ZUMO was because and I had been getting tired of having to stop, open the saddle bag, pull out the map, find where I was on it, and take a look to see which way I wanted to go, put it away and go. Now, 5-10 seconds at a stop sign with the GPS and I am riding again!

Also, it was a demo that was on sale for a ridiculously low price the day I happened by Crutchfield and decided to stop in and "look" at GPS units.

I'm in too deep and can't go back to paper!

Old 11-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #26963
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 13,657
There is an online shareware site with finer detail topos than the 100k for download, and some are routable, depending on the state. Haven't really given them a lot of use yet.

Edit: gpsfiledepot.com. One if the guys I hunt with uses them rather than the Garmin 100k- like I said I really haven't tested it yet
Tapatalked
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #26964
SLiP210
you can call me slip

Oddometer: 295
Wow, I started a topic going. I dont believe it has topo, but you can create and upload routes on basecamp. It came with North America maps and free lifetime upgrades. The bells and whistles are in the apps, bluetooth, maintenance log tracking, alarm clock, meh. If you buy the right valve stem caps it will tell you your tire pressure. Thats all I know for now. I got it wired up and mounted. I will plug it in to the PC later and play around with it.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #26965
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

I left you a message on your phone.
Which one, the house phone? There were a couple of messages on the house phone that got screwed up ( dam telco company!).

Try again or call my cell. I'm at drs in NoVA right now.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #26966
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
If I had MP3,,,I would play Pink Floyd; Comfortably Numb and drive off of a cliff......on Rt 33. If my phone rang in my ear I would drive off a cliff on Rt 250....

I need to concentrate!
Big time! Riding is it's own experience and demands 100%. It you find me riding and "listening to" music it's because I've given up and am on a suicide mission. Or Alzheimer's has really set in so take my keys. And for me, listening to music is also it's own experience and demands 100%. I guess each is either all or none.

Dean, I would love to ride one morning but I'm in crunch mode to get a roof on.

Stacey, I'd put a safety tether on that instrument, if you haven't already, in case it gets jarred from its mount on rough trails.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #26967
SLiP210
you can call me slip

Oddometer: 295
Lance, will do when I get a chance

George, thats a damn good idea. It did come with a ram mount, but it kind of snaps onto the back of it instead of wrapping around the front of it like a lot of them do.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #26968
ecubed
LFC Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Big time! Riding is it's own experience and demands 100%. It you find me riding and "listening to" music it's because I've given up and am on a suicide mission. Or Alzheimer's has really set in so take my keys. And for me, listening to music is also it's own experience and demands 100%. I guess each is either all or none.
I agree 100%. "And that is a Norton" I listen to the music in my head when I ride...I change it up like a DJ... sometimes I listen to the valves of my Airhead, sometimes I listen to the tires. Most of the time.......it is "Eyes of the world".....(Ya, Michhub)
E^3

ecubed screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 04:26 PM
ecubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #26969
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,441
The Montana 600/650 will handle a 64Gb SD card. It may take a bigger one, all I had on hand were 32Gb and 64Gb.

Walter mapped his last trip to Magadan from London with Google Earth and then converted it to a gpx(?) file for his Montana 600.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Regarding paper verses electronic maps...

You're preaching to the choir, and to someone who owns more than 150 Quad maps, 8 Gazetteer maps and numerous other maps. Yes I am a recovering map addict!

The only reason I had the ZUMO was because and I had been getting tired of having to stop, open the saddle bag, pull out the map, find where I was on it, and take a look to see which way I wanted to go, put it away and go. Now, 5-10 seconds at a stop sign with the GPS and I am riding again!

Also, it was a demo that was on sale for a ridiculously low price the day I happened by Crutchfield and decided to stop in and "look" at GPS units.

I'm in too deep and can't go back to paper!

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #26970
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Just to be clear I'm not really interested in the MP3 player, which as it turns out, the 390lm does not have anyway. It does have a lot of other useful features though.

390lm specs

If anything, I'd be more interested in the Bluetooth for use in my truck with my phone.

As far owning a GPS unit verses maps...I use mine all the time for the speedometer feature, trip odometer, fuel minder(on the ZUMO), etc. Haven't looked at the speedometer on the XR in four years!

I've been going to a lot of places I'm not too familiar with so plugging in an address and hitting "go" is just soooo nice.

Mike, I remember Colebatch mentioning he had all that on his card. He is who got me looking at the Montana in the first place. I'm hoping to see Black Friday and or Cyber Monday sales include GPS units.