ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 05:30 AM   #27766
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
I turn off my heated stuff for the last 15 minutes of riding to top off the battery. fwiw.
That's what I do. I think a voltmeter would be a good idea but I haven't put one on yet.

I know from talking to Beantop that with the Hippo Hands you can use thinner gloves and be able to feel more of the heat from the grips. I think I'll go that route before next winter.
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:51 AM   #27767
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,286
Keeping an eye on battery voltage is wise, and removes guessing from the game.

http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3721-Ba.../dp/B000EVWDU0

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:05 AM   #27768
fragile_this_side_up
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Thanks for the tips on the "castle"

have you thought about using heated liners? mine are a pain compared to grips, but they work better.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #27769
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
Thanks for the tips on the "castle"

have you thought about using heated liners? mine are a pain compared to grips, but they work better.
I don't think my Wee will power anything more, I don't have a jacket to plug gloves into and I don't want to manage battery packs. But they are nice eh?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #27770
fragile_this_side_up
Studly Adventurer

Hahahaa. that's the only thing my Wee powers. That and my cell phone. It does just fine, but if you have more accessories, than i can see it being an issue. They take very little wattage though. i have powerlet.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #27771
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,919
I have a hate, hate, love, hate relationship with my Gerbings gear. That corresponds directly to the number of times I've had to send them back for warranty repairs they fail to make. Jacket wires in arm are still screwed so no heat in left glove. Been two years like that and I've sent em back twice. Getting fed up.

Best gear for the money so they say. My 145lb is tired of a freezing thorax though.

Naturally none of my heated gear works on my main mode of transport: scooter. It too is broken
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #27772
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,970
I sent my Gerbings jacket back to get the right arm working again. They didn't fix it. Of course didn't find this out until after winter started.

I opened it up and can see the problem, but I want them to fix it right
Old 02-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #27773
HBN OP
is car free

Trade you an arm for an arm
Old 02-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #27774
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
My 145lb is tired of a freezing thorax though.

Naturally none of my heated gear works on my main mode of transport: scooter. It too is broken
I'm in the skinny boat with you Mike. So what do you do to keep from freezing on the scoot? Build a small fire on the foot board?

Yesterday I donned the insulated hunting bibs, smurf stompin' riding boots, aero fleece (not plugged in), mesh jacket (ugly story about my pride) and the new olympia gloves. 10 minutes at 40 mph and 24*. Finger tips are cold, but not numb. Not a bad way to commute huh? But I have a long highway trip coming up early April and I want to be prepared.

Thanks for the cold weather riding input. I'm always interested to know what others are doing. I'm a bit of a scavenger of ideas.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #27775
HBN OP
is car free

Long highway trip in early April could be interesting. Temps should be in the 50's and lows in 30's which ain't so bad.

Some ideas:
Get a pair of hippo hands or the like to compeltely cover your gloves and grips. THe lack of wind makes the warmth of your gloves go much further.

Wear a pair of latex/nitrile gloves underneath your regular riding gloves. This keeps the moisture from your hands from soaking the gloves and surprisingly insulates them a bit more.

Keep your core as warm as possible. I ran a heated vest and gloves on my DL650 and never had an issue. Invest in a voltmeter just in case. If you wanted to have further options, throw in two headlight toggle switches. If you cut the 65W to just one of your main headlights, you've given yourself the gift of wattage for a jacket or peace of mind not to burden your charging system.

Of course you could take a vehicle with heated seats
Old 02-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #27776
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

Quote:
Get a pair of hippo hands or the like to compeltely cover your gloves and grips. THe lack of wind makes the warmth of your gloves go much further.
Coming back up the Parkway last fall the temp was about 30* when we took off. I dang near stopped to wrap a t-shirt around my right hand to maintain control. I only had my summer gloves at that time.

Quote:
Wear a pair of latex/nitrile gloves underneath your regular riding gloves. This keeps the moisture from your hands from soaking the gloves and surprisingly insulates them a bit more.
Same Parkway trip, my buddy did that. He caught a lot of crap (no pun); we called him the proctologist of the trip.

Quote:
If you wanted to have further options, throw in two headlight toggle switches. If you cut the 65W to just one of your main headlights, you've given yourself the gift of wattage for a jacket or peace of mind not to burden your charging system.

Quote:
Of course you could take a vehicle with heated seats
Not a chance. . .

Thanks for the input. I'll quit pirating the thread now.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #27777
HBN OP
is car free

You could also just unplug one of the lights for an easy fix.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #27778
fragile_this_side_up
Studly Adventurer

I commute an hour to work and use a one piece first gear non heated suit. Underneath I have my t shirt, a fleece, and a fleece vest. I am pretty comfortable for the trip. All on rt 66 @ 75 mph. The hands and feet are what gets cold for me. Although a heated vest would be nice...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #27779
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,295
Re all the comments about Hippo Hands.

I worked as a courier for near 8 years. I used Harley Mittens (heavy leather gauntlet w/ a 1/2" sheepskin lining - just like the DC motor cops used) for several years and then switched to an earlier model of Hippo Hands. I had to be on 2 wheels all of the time unless the roads were covered in ice or snow. The Harley mittens were good down into the 20s. If it rained, I'd pull the liner out, stuff it in a bread bag and then shove it back into the mitt. 30s and rain was doable then. The Hippo Hands made it an entirely different game. Between the heavy mitts and the HH your hands almost got too hot - even in single digits.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:50 AM   #27780
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelB12 View Post
... I opened it up and can see the problem, but I want them to fix it right
Hate to state the obvious, but the old saying "if you want it done right, do it yourself" is based on reality. Of course, as with most wisdom, it takes experience to really appreciate. Which brings to mind another oft-quoted saying, paraphrased, "insanity is continuing to do the same thing while expecting different results".

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote