ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #27991
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post

This is all very true. I've been mulling over whether buying a bigger, faster bike is worth it. The other two bikes are much heavier, and from my experience with the F800, the weight difference became really noticeable when trying to maneuver myself around. When on a ride, at some point you have to stop and park or back a bike up a minute incline. So, it's something I'm thinking about. The F650GS is a great bike. I really have little to complain about it - it's bulletproof, got enough power to attract the ire of law enforcement, never gave me any trouble, and is pretty sure-footed off the pavement. It also fits me really well. I've asked myself why I want to get something else. I think it's just my nature to want to try something new. But yes, I agree the F650 would be great bike for attempting something like the Continental Divide (very cool you did that, btw). I don't doubt for a second that it would be a reliable steed for an epic journey.
I think you just found your new bike. It's right in your garage!

Just my two cents, I have the GS and the 650L but if I could only have one bike to do what you want to do it would be the 650, hands down. Heavy bikes suck when the going gets tough.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #27992
mtnflow
LFC, more pie please

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4runer View Post
just wanted to say hello. Living in Afton Va and go into the Valley quite often, used to live south of Staunton. I may know a few fellows in here. One of the catherders helped me change my tires, chain and sprockets (I still owe some beer for that one).
Anyways riding a used 06 ktm 625 smc. Bought this to learn how to ride. Its light, can be dropped, easy to work on, and just plain fun on anything but highways.
Not riding now but how to hook up with some good people in the middle of the summer. Just had shoulder surgery and the good doc says end of july is when I can start riding earlier. Could probably start earlier but if a fall would be really bad, probably in more ways than one.
I'll keep checking in. I'm using this time to fix all the liquid gold that dripping off the bike. Replaced the shifter seal and sightglass, now on to the countersproket and various other little projects on it. Cheers

Sid
I'm still waiting on my beer sid. It's nice to see you post up, we'll ride once you are better. Chris said he bumped into you a few weeks ago and he mentioned your shoulder. We need to boat too, chris got the villan.
mtnflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:43 AM   #27993
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
Weight is definitely a consideration. Why can't a DS bike be smooth, fast and light??
We have the smoothest 650 thumper made, but we pay in weight.... Tied with the KLR for biggest piggie. 430 wet +-. 50HP+ is not too shabby either. I've been on a weight loss quest(spare me the fatass jokes ) for as long as I have owned the bike, and have shed some 40-50 pounds getting in down in the DR range. Not a bad place to be. We'll see. I reopen the dream factory almost every day! Really tough for me to be satisfied with things I have. Always looking for the next greatest etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
welcome to the chorus/wish for the holy DS grail
Yup... it's maddening. I keep thinking that I should go all JDRocks on this.

AWESOME riding your Tiger in the sandblast LLM!!!! Im glad you weren't hurt worse!!!

Jax' mediocre photo thread.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:59 AM   #27994
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Yup... it's maddening. I keep thinking that I should go all JDRocks on this.

SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 AM   #27995
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,802
Hey Blixa, I weigh 230lbs while brushing my teeth, so I'm probably less sensitive to weight than you are. Even so, I've found that for dirt (even FS roads), I want to go with a smaller bike, rather than a bigger one.

If you go for an 800 to make getting to the dirt easier, the extra weight means you will end up going slower when you get there. My GS will go up Long Run, but not very fast (not that I'm fast on anything)

If I had to choose between the GS and my DR650, I'd keep the DR. I just dropped some cash into it to make it easier to travel with... fat-guy spring, bigger tank, gel seat, some wolfman racks. For anything inside of 250 miles (Laurel Fork, BYOB, H14's) this is how I'm gonna get there this year.

YMMV, naturally. On the other hand, there's no harm in buying a used Tiger, just to see if it scratches the itch. If it's not the right tool for the job, you can always try something new.
Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #27996
4x4runer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnflow View Post
I'm still waiting on my beer sid. It's nice to see you post up, we'll ride once you are better. Chris said he bumped into you a few weeks ago and he mentioned your shoulder. We need to boat too, chris got the villan.
Good to hear from you dean. Come over and get the beer , you could check out the new place and help me the sprocket again. I took off the wheel to try to hook up the speedometer cable but couldn't figure it out because there is no mount for it. I have another post going and someone chimed in and said I have the dirt forks on there and not the supermoto forks with oversized rotor kit and that's why there is to spot to mount the cable. Anyways, bracket threads stripped so I have another bracket coming. Going to do that, counterspocket seal, and fix the speedometer. I'd like to know if I'm going 45 or 75 . would like to talk to you about some gear sometime too. looking into boots, chest protectors/jacket, knee gaurds.
I have the villain as well, love it. it takes alittle getting used to Jackson's outfitting but very capable/versatile boat. he would like it or hate it. cheers.

sid
4x4runer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #27997
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,318
Blixa -
You might consider a used X Challange. In stock form, IIRC the X is 30 to 40 pounds lighter than the Dakar. A lot of the inmates in Europe who do serious off road trips use the XC set up as a Rally Raid bike. Fairing, extra lights and an additional fuel tank and they are under 400 pounds. Walter will start in London with a 17 T countershaft for pavement and drop to a 15 when he hits Eastern Europe for the dirt.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #27998
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
I had to buy two bikes to replace my DR650 It would do about anything just a little slower than I wanted it to, I did a 500 mile day on it one time WITH knobies and could run Shoe creek with no problems. If you buy a used one right you can always get your money back if you don't like it. AB
Old 03-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #27999
macaroni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Blixa,

A lot has to do with skill level and comfort ie not really caring if you fall... a lot. I've seen some people like Todd34 on big 990s and throw that thing around like it was a 250. Then there's gastone on a big 1200gs who was fast as shit too but he just didn't care what happened or how many times he went down. I had a 990 and it was a great street bike for me but I didn't have much fun with it off road, it was too heavy and I didn't have the skill level to make it fun. I decided I needed to go smaller to gain confidence and skill. I'm on a DR now and I couldn't be happier! This is my only means of transportation and I've done long road trips 500+ miles in winter and never had a problem. I would suggest taking a class, like CornerSpin, for off road skill work. I've done it along with several others (gastone, Littlelionmonster, H14, etc) and have found the class invaluable! Hope that helps!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #28000
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
Blixa -
You might consider a used X Challange. In stock form, IIRC the X is 30 to 40 pounds lighter than the Dakar. A lot of the inmates in Europe who do serious off road trips use the XC set up as a Rally Raid bike. Fairing, extra lights and an additional fuel tank and they are under 400 pounds. Walter will start in London with a 17 T countershaft for pavement and drop to a 15 when he hits Eastern Europe for the dirt.
Good call on the X challenge. The X country with some mods makes a nice dual sport too!

Old 03-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #28001
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,725
I dream for one of the 800s but smaller is so much easier to pick up. The DR650 is a good compromise. DR650s can come lowered. With a seat, large tank and a small fairing you can ride cross country. dljocky did an unofficial iron butt on his a year or so ago. The DR may not be fast but it is easy wrenching. Parts are less expensive than an X-challenge.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #28002
turtlemoye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
While I've never ridden the two bikes you mention I can tell you I absolutely love my Husky Terra but it may be a little two similar to your current bike. Personally I'm not worried about parts availability or dealer support and for only $6K you have plenty of coin left over for protective bits/weight reduction.

You can come in if you want but I'm not putting on pants for you.
2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511
turtlemoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #28003
T!Mster
Lets Ride!!

Oddometer: 289
This is what I have been up to the last few days….

I took one of these:

Added some steel and plywood and made one of these:

And then I did some work on my workbench to make it fit underneath. I didn't want a Harbor Freight lift taking up room in my already cluttered garage. The HF lift collapsed height was too high and I didn't want to rebuilt the entire bench.

When I got done with the lift and bench I made a little mod to the XT:

Old 03-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #28004
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Brilliant!

Old 03-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #28005
mtnflow
LFC, more pie please

Oddometer: 2,221
Awesome, love it. Cluttered? funny, I still see concrete.
mtnflow is offline   Reply With Quote