ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 11:23 PM   #28636
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
That DRZ looks good...
Hope it's still for sale in a month!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:42 PM   #28637
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
Hey Skippii,
First, the perfect bike is the one you own. This may sound a bit ridiculous, but what I mean by this is make sure you don't blow all your money on buying and setting up a bike. Make sure you keep enough money for the trip itself; we all enjoy camping, but being able to splurge on a hotel room once in a while can be a major morale booster.
I just want to clarify this...
You're not suggesting I take either the Ninja or Thundercunt on the TAT, right? Believe me, I love those bikes, and I have considered it, and I'm pretty sure both of them, but especially TC would actually be a lot of fun and could certainly do it, but I think for my first major trip, a smaller, lightweight bike without apehangers would be ideal.
Unfortunately, it'll probably be a bike just for this trip, as depending on my finances, I might have to sell it as soon as I get back (or sell in Seattle and fly back... I should probably check the prices for flying vs riding back...)
Old 04-10-2014, 03:11 AM   #28638
phunmusicphan
Dude

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
Next to the Givis and engine guards and the Madstad bracket, Flushmount signals were some of the best upgrades on my V-strom. The ones on the stalks...well, they didn't like to stay on the stalks.
Yep that's why he got the right. Left not so mint.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:03 AM   #28639
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnflow View Post
Meeting at 257 grocery in Briery Branch at 9am for a street ride to High's for breakfast. Moyers gap, 220, 250 etc. should be back in the valley a little after noon. All are welcome, should be at High's a little after ten am if any are coming from highland.
Thanks for posting. Supposed to be nice later today but , yikes, it's 35 on the shaded side this morning. Hope it warms up a bunch by the time you roll!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:22 AM   #28640
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,290
Thumb Klx250

I have one thing to note regarding the recent discussions referencing the KLX250, and that is simply that they are trail capable. Can't say about in my hands but demonstrably so in those of a great rider, specifically, my friend Marty, to whom I had to use all the power my 650 could muster in order to sorta keep up with on the trail. This despite his complaints that the bike could use more power and more suspension. You wouldn't notice the bike had any limitations when riding with him though. And he did say it was a great bike and built to take all he dished out, plus even new are priced favorably.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:31 AM   #28641
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,551
Hey Skippii, how about another DR350 for the TAT?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:38 AM   #28642
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Hey Skippii, how about another DR350 for the TAT?
BOOM!

Topic closed.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:35 AM   #28643
fragile_this_side_up
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 943
Hey guys, heading to Romney on the 19th for a decent day trip. 55 to 600 to 50 to 220 to old 55 back home. Anyways, any good locations along the way for some food?
Old 04-10-2014, 06:58 AM   #28644
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 4,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
Hey guys, heading to Romney on the 19th for a decent day trip. 55 to 600 to 50 to 220 to old 55 back home. Anyways, any good locations along the way for some food?
In Wardensville, east side of town on 55.

There is no odometer when it comes to pie - VACommuter
$5 Smug Mug coupon
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #28645
fragile_this_side_up
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 943
i've passed there many times. never stopped in..
Old 04-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #28646
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
Clever name.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #28647
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,783
Quote:
That's exactly the sort of stuff I was hoping to hear... and aligns pretty well with what I'd otherwise read expected. (Although as I recall the last time I checked a few years ago, the WR250 horsepower is up something impressive like 50% over the KLX, which could justify the price jump for me.)

Thanks for the response.
If I didn't have this whole house thing, I probably would have HFG's DRz in my driveway by now (I'd contacted him back in October about buying it, but backed out when my roommates told me I had to leave 12 hours later). There will be other opportunities, though, and I have more pressing issues to attend to now. Besides, and I'm not really in a rush until the snow melts in Colorado...they're calling for another 6 inches in Denver this weekend, so I think I've still got some time.
Although if you're really selling your KTM and think it might be a good one for me, I could probably find a free day to check it out in the next few weeks.

It's a slow day at work tomorrow, so I'm saving your ride reports to a flash drive so I can read them there (No net access at work.)
I was planning on taking the interstate back, so that has been my main concern with both the KLX and the KTM.
I remember you recommended Sweet Cheeks for comfort - do you use that on the KTM now, and is that just while offroad or does it also make the suberslab more comfortable?
No problem Skippii. With regards to my KTM, it could do the TAT no problem and be a blast. Whether it'd be a good bike for you to do the TAT with all depends on you. Couple things to keep in mind are: minimal carry capacity or at a minimum use a Giant Loop style s et saddle bags, current gas tank has approx a 125 to 150 mile range (personally I feel safer with a 200 mile range for something like the TAT), maintenance, and last but not least the 3000 miles of slab coming back (the bike will do it, but you won't have a butt left by the time you get home). I've never tried the sweet cheeks on the KTM because I never used it for long distance riding, but I'm confident it would help tremendously.

Quote:
I have some MSR bars that I used on both Thundercunt and then on Tallis (The Red Yamaha.) I bought them from Bloochdog years ago.
They're designed for 1" bars, I believe, but I ran them on 7/8th bars and they worked just fine when I put a slice of garden hose pipe where they attach.

They're in good shape as far as I can remember...one of the plastic bits that hold the plastic guard to the metal bar snapped off last summer, but I replaced it with a zip tie which seems to work even better than the old one.

Not sure what it's worth... $30 or so? Maybe I should keep them myself for my own TAT bike, on the other hand...
Thanks, I got a set of Cyra coming my way.

Quote:
I just want to clarify this...
You're not suggesting I take either the Ninja or Thundercunt on the TAT, right?
Well...............

I would not want to ride the TAT on a Ninja or TC, but I'm not you. You know every inch of those bikes and have intimate knowledge of how they handle in just about any situation. You're familiar with the reliability of each bike and what kind of abuse they can take. Keep in mind that ridding the entire TAT in one fell swoop is like going on a serious trail ride for 30 consecutive days! Think about how much wrenching and fixing you need to do to your bikes after something like the LF campout and think about having to do that kind of maintenance/repair at least once or twice a week while travelling across the country. If you're ok with that, then you may want to consider doing the TAT on the Ninja or TC. One thing I can say for sure is that you would be the first and I would be glued to your ride report!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #28648
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
i've passed there many times. never stopped in..
Also in Wardensville on west side http://www.lostriverbrewing.com/ or O'Neills in Moorefield just off new 55
Old 04-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #28649
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
Also in Wardensville on west side http://www.lostriverbrewing.com/ or O'Neills in Moorefield just off new 55

Are their hours on that site?? I've never been able to find them
Old 04-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #28650
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,294
In Wardensville - Go a little further than the Kackapon and on the same side, is Lost River Brewery. Good craft beer and excellent food. They open at 1300 on Saturday and Sunday.

Quote:

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote