ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #28996
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
Most of your red line is not on any of my maps, the parts that are show it as a foot trail.
F google maps as always! I figured I'd have to do a reality check with the gazatteers tonight. Was hoping to ride the KLR on some new gravel out that way this weekend as I ride between a buddy's place near Shanghi over to anothers on the WV side of the river a little up river of Little Orleans.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #28997
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Quote:
These are not what I'm looking at right now, but you can DL WV county maps here.

I'm looking at Delorme's Topo NA. It hasn't let me down yet.
thanks for the reminder I forgot about those WV maps
Old 05-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #28998
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,023
I used to navigate WV using County paper maps and USGS topos. Never got lost. Sometimes I wondered if I was, but I wasn't.

Topo NA is based on USGS topos.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #28999
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Well none of what I marked in red on G-maps shows up on the WV DOT maps so I guess its a no go, but I may still explore it a bit as any trail with the name Mule Shed is worth a check
Old 05-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #29000
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
Yes using google its always hard to tell reality, if you zoom in more you will see various roads/trails that suggest it may be possible?? See here, red line roughly follows the route I was looking to do. The area around the powerlines is a big unknown, usually such access roads are gated or posted.

I believe Breakneck is a private subdivision road. I'm almost positive it doesn't go all the way thru, at least legally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
F google maps as always!
I always took their "road placements" with a grain of salt. I see they just improved my mapping experience to the point I may have to switch to MapQuest just to be able to use a freakin map without having to re-learn where all the same features have been moved to. Hey Google...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #29001
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,933
Quote:
I think the only way to Largent from US-522 without going all the way to SR-9 is south of Cacapon SP is by going west SR-127 from US-522.

At Forks Of Cacapon go right on CR-45/7(if the bridge is still there), then right on CR45/4, then right on CR-29/4. CR-29/4 may or may not go through to SR-9. It might take you to SR-29. My maps seem to be a little confused about were CR-29/4 actually goes.

You might be better off just taking SR-29 north from SR-127. 127 is a nice ride. It's been awhile since I did it, but I think 29 and 9 into Largent ain't bad either. I'd take the BMW.
my tracks say i backed out of 29/4, no way across over to 29. going due south, there's a locked gate on what's supposed to be a public road. on 29, i thought i passed what could have been the other part of the road across the river.

45/4 was open to 127.

there's a whole tangle of roads in that area that still show on the current county maps as going across creeks and the north river. i didn't find a single bridge, the low water crossings washed out 15 years ago and not replaced, and in general, the water crossings were too deep and fast to risk for me, although some would be tempted in lower water.

once you run out of fresh tire tracks on that gravel, you can count on a deep crossing ahead.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #29002
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
my tracks say i backed out of 29/4, no way across over to 29. going due south, there's a locked gate on what's supposed to be a public road.
Thanks JD, yes the WV DOT maps shows a locked gate and if/when it used to cross there must have been a real long time ago as when I look at the aerial I see no obvious sigs of a former road on the other side, strange.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #29003
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I believe Breakneck is a private subdivision road. I'm almost positive it doesn't go all the way thru, at least legally.
Yep that is what I suspected, but have found some photos from some jeep guys making it up to the big set of ATT radio towers on that ridge there. And yes Google is just like the rest, at the point when they are most useful they jump the shark in name of "progress" and are now just a POS.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #29004
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,417
Eric -

This might help

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/117/

Garmin compatible topo maps.

I took a look at my Gazetteer and like the rest of WV, all of the roads seem to run North-South. There doesn't appear to be anything coming out of Ridge that runs over to 9 except trails.

Trails might work. I recently read an article that said there are a lot of trails in WV that are open to hikers, bicyclists and motorcycles.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #29005
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
Eric -

This might help

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/117/

Garmin compatible topo maps.

I took a look at my Gazetteer and like the rest of WV, all of the roads seem to run North-South. There doesn't appear to be anything coming out of Ridge that runs over to 9 except trails.

Trails might work. I recently read an article that said there are a lot of trails in WV that are open to hikers, bicyclists and motorcycles.
I have the WV topo from that site, along with VA, MD and PA. It doesn't show any roads either.

If you're into topo maps and have a Garmin unit, they can't be beat!

Old 05-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #29006
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I have the WV topo from that site, along with VA, MD and PA. It doesn't show any roads either.

If you're into topo maps and have a Garmin unit, they can't be beat!
Year or so ago I bought the droid app DualSportMaps from ADV inmate CraftyCoder and it has topo maps on it, shows all the trails and roads in that area so if I do explore will let ya know what I find.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #29007
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,652
Beautiful Women Need Help in Reston! Free Beer and Pizza!

I posted this on the NOVA Chatter thread, but thought I might reach a few more folks over here too . . .

We need strong bodies to help my wife SweetBird (Robin, on left below), and my youngest daughter SingingBird (Annie, middle--and yeah, there's a story in that nickname . . ).

Oldest daughter Erin on right--but she lives in Denver and doesn't need the help . . . .

Anyway, Annie's moving from Reston out here to the Pacific North Wet to go back to school, as well as transferring to an Army reserve unit at Joint Base Lewis-McCord.

She's using a "you pack, we drive" moving service to save money. Robin's flying back to Virginia in early June to help pack. (Me, I gotta stay out west to take care of the dogs . . . and ride my motorcycles . . . ).

They could really, really use some help in putting boxes and furniture on the moving truck on Friday, 6 June (D-Day anniversary) in Reston. (It has to be Friday because she drills in Richmond on Saturday). The truck is supposed to show up at her apartment between 0800 and 1000 that day. I know it's a work day for many of you, but if any of you can drop by her place and help for a couple of hours, Robin's promised FREE BEER AND PIZZA for all that show up!! I guess its up to her to deconflict the hour of the day and the beer offer, but she's a whole lot smarter than I am (many of you've met her and already know that. ), she'll figure something out.

If anybody can help her out, l'd sure appreciate it. And you can have more free beer and pizza, plus a place to stay, if any of you make it out to the PNW.

I'll PM Annie's address in Reston, plus her and Robin's cell phone numbers, to any volunteers.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:26 AM   #29008
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 11,126
Lovely family Dan.
Sorry I can't help.
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang ..That thing is huge!!! Jax
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #29009
Ferdo
A Walking Farkle

Oddometer: 4
Booby Traps on Trails?

This report may be an isolated incident from out West, but does get a person's attention.

"A spike strip found on a single-track trail in the Pike National Forest on May 5, has prompted an investigation by the US Forest Service. Individuals with information regarding the spike strip or any other booby traps should contact the Forest Service to leave a message on the Forest Service Law Enforcement Tip Line at (303) 275-5266. A reward is being offered. The U.S. Forest Service issued a warning on Tuesday, stating that the device posed a significant public safety concern."

Full item is at: http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/05/1...ampaign=weekly

Guess the debate over who is using what trails has escalated there.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #29010
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

What weighs 88 pounds and holds 400 horses?