ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #76
lunchmeat
MLI

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken
Looking at the forecast looks like I will be doing a Blakey Ridge fire road run early tomorrow. Anybody game?

I am also hoping to get out for a little while this weekend if the boss doesn't have to much for me to do!

Have you ever ridden that 'trail' that breaks off Ruth Rd. and goes from Yager Mt. to Beamers Head? According to Google Earth its about a 25 mile ride from the intersection of Blakely Mt. Rd/Quaker Run Rd, down Blakely to Ruth and back up that 'trail' around to the start.

You got me interested in running over there this Sunday but with the recent wet weather it may be a little slickery up on the mountain? What is the surface of that Blakely Road? Anyone up for a ride out there Sunday?
Old 11-15-2008, 04:15 AM   #77
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,637
What time are you thinking about Sunday? I know a couple of different routes to get up to Blakey. You can go out through Banco, get up there off Aylor Rd and Ruth. Haven't been up there in a while but am always up for a little ride time....
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:55 AM   #78
lunchmeat
MLI

I'm thinking more about the weather than time. It's 'sposed to be cooler and high winds. The route I was looking at takes me from Banco to the NW up Quaker Run Rd.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:56 AM   #79
lunchmeat
MLI

Weather permitting I'd say 10 a.m. in Banco? Unless you have a better meetin' place.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:56 AM   #80
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii
I don't even have the friggin grips yet!
This was going to be a simple relay install so my 12V socket will turn off with the engine....and I haven't even reached the wiring yet!
I'd like to Nominate Suzuki for the WORST FUCKING FAIRING DESIGN IN THE WORLD!
Not only does the fairing come off in 20 pieces, each held on with 10 completely inaccessable and easily stripped screws...they fucking GLUED and MELTED the peices together once they'd screwed them on!

If they're going to make a V-strom fairing this fucking complicated, WHY THE HELL COULDN'T THEY AT LEAST NOT MAKE IT LOOK UGLY AS SHIT????

Well, after a few more hours yesterday, and another hour this morning, I've got it all put back together.
Mostly.
I've got about 12 screws left over..a rather scary amount, and no idea where they go. I say "about", because I kicked over the dish with all the screws in and now I've only got 6 left, but I know there were twice as many as before.
Actually, I think I know where 2 of them go, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend another 6 hours working on the fairings just to put those two damn screws in.
Hopefully, they're not important.
What's the worst that could happen?
Old 11-15-2008, 05:20 AM   #81
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Skippii....dude. If you want a right hand man when you are working on the bike...........let a brother know. One thing I do is make sure everything that comes off goes back on. I work in the nuclear power industry where there is NO room for mistakes.

Anyway.....this is how I spent the last couple of afternoons.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...79#post8375379
Old 11-15-2008, 06:43 AM   #82
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

I'm riding from Harrisonburg to Richmond today if anyone wants to tag along.
I leave from the Courtyard Marriott hotel at 3:00pm sharp.

EDIT: CANCELLED
My friends with whom I was going to be staying don't have any electricity, so screw them.

Skippii screwed with this post 11-15-2008 at 10:31 AM
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #83
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Well, after a few more hours yesterday, and another hour this morning, I've got it all put back together.
Mostly.
I've got about 12 screws left over..a rather scary amount, and no idea where they go. I say "about", because I kicked over the dish with all the screws in and now I've only got 6 left, but I know there were twice as many as before.
Actually, I think I know where 2 of them go, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend another 6 hours working on the fairings just to put those two damn screws in.
Hopefully, they're not important.
What's the worst that could happen?

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #84
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,843
Quote:
I don't even have the friggin grips yet!
This was going to be a simple relay install so my 12V socket will turn off with the engine....and I haven't even reached the wiring yet!
I'd like to Nominate Suzuki for the WORST FUCKING FAIRING DESIGN IN THE WORLD!
Not only does the fairing come off in 20 pieces, each held on with 10 completely inaccessable and easily stripped screws...they fucking GLUED and MELTED the peices together once they'd screwed them on!

If they're going to make a V-strom fairing this fucking complicated, WHY THE HELL COULDN'T THEY AT LEAST NOT MAKE IT LOOK UGLY AS SHIT????
Do you have a service manual? Should not be this difficult, I"ve had mine off a number of times and it's pretty straightforward.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #85
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGB
Do you have a service manual? Should not be this difficult, I"ve had mine off a number of times and it's pretty straightforward.
Yes
Old 11-16-2008, 05:16 AM   #86
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Meet me and Lunchmeat at the intersection of Rt 231 and Rt 670 at the old Banco store for some good ole Madison County fun........hurry up...
Old 11-16-2008, 05:20 AM   #87
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #88
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,239
Well, I didn't see anyone at the Banco store - could have been because I was late - 10:06 by my watch when I got there.
Went through the ford at Criglersville, over to Aylor and up to Ruth Mountain Fire Rd thinking that I'd intercept you guys at the intersection. Waited until about 11, didn't see anyone so I came back down to Aylor. I figured that if you guys had gone up Quaker Run that would likely have given you time to get down there, there were no tracks so I was sure you hadn't come by. My tracks were the only ones through the stinky mudhole.
Oh well, next time. I didn't post that I was going to come 'cause I wasn't sure I'd get out today.
Hope you guys had a good ride. I plugged in the heated jacket on the way home!
Ted
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #89
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Lol! Man you must of just missed us. We ran into some issues with Lunchmeats bike......I will let him tell the story. We actually took the Ruth fire trail.

I do not know how we missed each other......
Old 11-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #90
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken
Lol! Man you must of just missed us. We ran into some issues with Lunchmeats bike......I will let him tell the story. We actually took the Ruth fire trail.

http://hooliken.smugmug.com/photos/4...25_JAMec-M.jpg

I do not know how we missed each other......
That looks like a lot of fun! Sorry I missed it--had to work today, and had to claim the ever-important tag this morning.
Can you post the route on Google Maps? I'd love to head down there sometime!