ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2008, 04:33 AM   #106
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,625
Thanks for the routes Meester Ninja! All greatly appreciated. I just would like something more interesting than blasting straight up 33. Even the state maintain gravel stuff is better to me than pavement...
hooliken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:50 AM   #107
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,233
What HburgNinja sez, those are some good roads. The best wheelie bump around is after you turn right from Three Springs Rd.
Power Dam Rd. by the river is better this time of year when the leaves are off the trees.

Ted
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:56 AM   #108
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,461

I hearby nominate you, our GIS expert, official:
"Shenandoah Valley Dirt and Scenic Road Authority"
...(or SVDSRA for short).

Great info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurgNinja
Between Elkton and Harrisonburg there are only a few dirt roads, none of which are challenging. If you are looking for a short detour, I would reccomend 340 South to Captain Yancey Rd., Right at Island Ford Rd then Left after the bridge onto Old Island Ford Rd aka Power Dam Rd(Dirt) along the river. This eventually will spit you out on 996 (McGaheysville Rd) or you can take a left on Three Springs Rd past the water treatment plant and then a Right on Pineville and Left on McGhaeysville Rd. Take a left at McGhaeysville Rd and this will bring you back up to Rt 33. Left to go to Harrisonburg. There was an appple tree at the old Middle School on 996 that had a great bounty of fruit. Probably all gone now, but I was filling up backpacks full of tasty free apples through the fall.

This is just a short detour through some countryside but by no means a "dirt" Route.

A nice ride to the East is to go down 340 and turn onto Ore Bank Rd or Raynes Bank Rd. These will take you South and eventually to Browns Gap aka Madison Run Fire Road. These are mostly dirt and the site of the Mt. Vernon Forge. Jubal Early fortified himself here during the Civil War and whole armies were once transported through this path. Browns Gap Rd heading East then turn Right onto Port Republic Rd. This once again crosses 340 and continues back through the town of Port Republic, past Cross Keys and to Harrisonburg.

Not sure if you have a lunch destination picked out but the Little Grill has some healthy options and a great "local" burger.

This all may have been way out of line but I just thought I'd share some nice routes.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:00 AM   #109
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,916
I have some parts of the county covered but I really want to expand my knowledge of Augusta County dirt roads this spring. Hopefully I can get some road advice from the riders south of me when the time comes.

Have a safe lunch trip hooliken.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:45 AM   #110
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Quote:
Have a safe lunch trip hooliken.
Ain't goin far and I ain't goin fast! Especially since I am riding all by meself.

I would love to come hang out with you guys, eat some pie and do some bike stuff. BUUUTTTT I been promising my lovely wife for two weeks that I would come out and have lunch with her. What can I say she has got the title to me so sometimes gotta do what I gotta do.

So what is everyone doing this weekend? Anybody have any plans?

I think it would be a good time for a Valley rider, get to know and dog and burger grill session. I ride year round and also fire up the grill year round.
Anybody game?
Old 11-19-2008, 07:06 AM   #111
HBN OP
is car free

I'm game. Preferably Saturday. I'll bring a side or dessert pie.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #112
mtnflow
LFC, more pie please

Oddometer: 2,213
Y'all keep playing valley tag and you'll soon know augusta county dirt. NO, sat. meet and greats until AFTER deer season , just two more weeks. One down, two more tags to fill.
mtnflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:36 AM   #113
HBN OP
is car free

Pizza, Heated Grips and Freeway Blaster Horn

Chanellos One Topping Pickup Special $7.76 - Pineapple (no pizza pics)

Got my new horn installed. It looks absurd on the T-Dubb but is functional and loud as a car
From Harrisonburg Pizza Wednesdays

Skippii had already done the relay and wiring for both the heated grips and power socket.

He pulled the grips and put on the heaters and grips back on the left side.

He had to correct the bend in the screw for the bar weights.

He is probably still trying to get the female end of the bar weight screw to come out.(sounds raunchy) Good luck with that "super" magnet!
Old 11-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #114
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurgNinja
He is probably still trying to get the female end of the bar weight screw to come out.(sounds raunchy) Good luck with that "super" magnet!
That worked great - no problem. Got the grips on, wired up, and they work great--especially the right one.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #115
HBN OP
is car free

Good to hear.
Got a kick out of this shot. Can you imagine our pristine police officers doing this with no helmet?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...441/html/1.stm
Old 11-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #116
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

I knew I would find some gravel between here and H'Burg if I looked hard enough.....

Fun little ride! Did about a tank of gas on the SE. Was cooollldddd as hell when I left this morning. Not to bad coming home. Stuck to mainly backroads. Had to put up with 33 accross the mountain. I do not know if the guy I passed in the civic was more surprised to be passed in a corner by a bike with full knoblies....or if he was shocked that some crazy person was riding over the mountain when it was 27 degrees outside.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #117
mikeinrichmond
Farkleus Maximus

Oddometer: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii
That worked great - no problem. Got the grips on, wired up, and they work great--especially the right one.
Does the bike have a plastic throttle sleeve on the left side too or is it bare metal? If it's bare metal it will leech the heat from the left grip and will be cooler than the right. I had to take mine back off, no problems, and used a piece of a 'leather' (i.e. $2.99) steering wheel wrap from Auto Zone, wrapped the grip, put it back on, now it heats evenly. Don't know how I rode last winter without them now!
Old 11-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #118
HBN OP
is car free

My nit-picky self needs to complete the wiring properly. Never enough daylight or warmth. I have the grip heaters on barebar now and may go back and use your tip. Thanks Mike!

Is yours wired with a relay to the horn switch?
Old 11-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #119
meltonbmm
Kodesh2

Oddometer: 921
Mikes Grips

Mike's heated grips work great.
We switched bikes after meeting at a tag.
Nice and toasty.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2392
meltonbmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #120
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii
That's great.
I STILL don't have mine on Can't do the 20deg stuff w/out them - at least not with the gloves I currently own .

What brand heated grip kit did you use? is it the one with different heating elements for the two sides? Does 'strom have plastic throttle tube?

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote