ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #121
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,463
The left hand grip is on bare metal--I did think it would be cooler because of this, but it's pretty much useless as is.

I was thinking of putting the tape lacrosse players put on the sticks underneath--should have done that before. Oh well, at least the left grip is easy to get off--the right grip was hell.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:11 AM   #122
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,629
Get some 1" shrink tube used for wiring. I finally was able to find the wiring schematic I need for the KTM heated grips. I have never installed a set before and had no clue as to how they were wired. Also got my new Zumo in last night and have to hook up the wiring for it.

They also sell the stretch wrap used for electrical wiring that should work OK.

Anyone use a heat gun to get their grips off? I have a small compressor but no nozzle to go inbetween the grip and bar.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:17 AM   #123
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii
tape lacrosse players put on the sticks underneath--should have done that before.
I remember reading somewhere that electrical tape may "melt" under the heat and can make for a gooey mess. Those grips get pretty hot so you may be better off using stronger heat resistant type wrap. I'm not sure if this really matters but its better not to find out the hard way if you can avoid it from the start.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:30 AM   #124
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken
Get some 1" shrink tube used for wiring. I finally was able to find the wiring schematic I need for the KTM heated grips. I have never installed a set before and had no clue as to how they were wired. Also got my new Zumo in last night and have to hook up the wiring for it.

They also sell the stretch wrap used for electrical wiring that should work OK.

Anyone use a heat gun to get their grips off? I have a small compressor but no nozzle to go inbetween the grip and bar.
Bicycle spoke and windex.

Slide spoke in between grip and bar, squirt windex in as you rotate the spoke around the bar and the grip will slide right off.

I'll look for the schematics, work got hectic yesterday.
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #125
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
Bicycle spoke and windex.

Slide spoke in between grip and bar, squirt windex in as you rotate the spoke around the bar and the grip will slide right off.

I'll look for the schematics, work got hectic yesterday.
I just used a coat hanger.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #126
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,461
And now, for a brief commercial:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407164

I think it's a cool idea, and since a lot of us in the valley ride over into WV, I though I'd give'em a plug! Too bad it comes at precisely the time when WV is getting its first snow

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:09 AM   #127
HBN OP
is car free

That looks like it would be fun.

Weekend plans anyone? WV Snow?

Hooliken bbq?
Old 11-21-2008, 05:28 AM   #128
Gimmeslack
furthur

I'll be hustling to build an unheated shed
At least better than working in the yard...

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Old 11-21-2008, 05:57 AM   #129
HBN OP
is car free

47 degrees Sunday. Feels like a heat wave. Thats Tagging weather...
Old 11-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #130
mtnflow
LFC, more pie please

Oddometer: 2,215
It sounds like the party is a g'slack's house. Bring some beer and a hammer.
mtnflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #131
HBN OP
is car free

I'm down for helping but I'd probably just get in the way.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #132
Gimmeslack
furthur

We'll see how far I get...just like me to wait till it gets really cold
Anyway, i think I'm going to pour a pad instead of wood floor. That's going to slow things down a little.

Twain
Old 11-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #133
HBN OP
is car free

So how far did you get today Gimme?

After taking all morning to place the tag [sorry] I met up with a ruckus from my neighborhood.

We rode over to Kawi and Honda then went for a scoot out to Hone Quarry. All this between 20 - 35 mph so it took a long while. Saw the typical college kids drinking beers and smoking at the little cabin rec area. I guess that is sorta becoming a right of passage for JMU students.

He's all pegged out!

Wahoo Snow! This was right before I went too slow through a mud puddle (not the one above) and dropped the bike. I would be soaking wet if it wasn't for my waterproof pants/boots and gaiters. Helps to be prepared.

HBN screwed with this post 11-24-2008 at 06:20 AM
Old 11-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #134
Gimmeslack
furthur

Glad everyone ELSE is having fun on a beautiful day .

Thought I would be ready for slab tomorrow. Found out I was sitting on buried phone line. Ok, move it over a little. Oops, septic tank is closer than I thought. Ok, cut some more off existing woodshed and move it in that direction. Oh well, guess I'll need another day's worth of moving dirt.

I won't be framing till Dec at the rate I'm going.
Good thing my friend's son is working as hired hand...it's only money, right?...

And it looks like it won't be quite as big as I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurgNinja
So how far did you get today Gimme?

After taking all morning to place the tag [sorry] I met up with a ruckus from my neighborhood.

We rode over to Kawi and Honda then went for a scoot out to Hone Quarry. All this between 20 - 35 mph so it took a long while. Saw the typical college kids drinking beers and smoking at the little cabin rec area. I guess that is sorta becoming a right of passage for JMU students.

He's all pegged out!

Wahoo Snow! This was right before I went too slow through a mud puddle (not the one above) and dropped the bike. I would be soaking wet if it wasn't for my waterproof pants/boots and gaiters. Helps to be prepares.

Twain
Old 11-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #135
HBN OP
is car free

Meeting Melton and Tag/Valley Tour

After spending the better part of last night searching for Skippii's Valley tag(not in the valley), I had figured it out around 12:30. Phew, now I can sleep without this darn tag dancing around in my head.

I woke up sorta late around 8:00 and noticed that Meltonbmm had sent me a message saying he was ready to ride out here all the way from Richmond to do a dual capture for the valley tag. I promptly made pancakes and eggs, took a shower, made tea in a thermos and packed the bike. We set the meeting time around 9:45 at Goose Pond Rd right over 33E.

I had enough time to take off my helmet then decide it was too damn cold, put it back on and voila...here comes a beautiful 1986 BMW K75, right on time. After shaking hands, we headed up Goose Pond Rd(thanks to Skippii) and ultimately to the tag destination.
From Valley_Tag4

Here we sat and chatted for 15 minutes. A group of campers came down while we were sipping hot tea on the ground. They said they had a "cold night"...I believe it! After suiting up, it was time to descend the steep gravel road. For Meltonbmm, this proved challenging in reverse on a 500+lb bike. The lack of traction afforded by rocky gravel and the angle of the road joined forces to enforce the law of gravity upon Melton. Fortunately, he was okay and after lifting the beast, we were pleasently on our way. At Goose Pond, at the bottom of the hill, there was a teen on an old Honda three wheeler that stared at us as if we were from outer-space. I bet he wasn't expecting to see our ugly selves coming down his road at 10AM on a Sunday. Oh well we are pretending to be adventure riders.

ONWARD! After a stop for gas (thanks Melton) we crossed the mountain through Swiftrun Gap. After descending, we exited Rt 33 onto Rt 340 East Side Highway heading South. We continued on until we placed the tag (no more clues)
From Valley_Tag4

From Valley_Tag4

From Valley_Tag4

From Valley_Tag4

While there Melton tamed the beast that is the T-Dubb.(Video Coming Soon)
From Valley_Tag4

From the new valley tag, we continued to the location of a former VA Tag I placed, and Gimmeslack picked up:
From Valley_Tag4

From here we rode back to my place in Harrisonburg where I uploaded the tag shots. Meanwhile, Melton took a stroll up the hill at the end of my street to check out the view SW of the Valley and Harrisonburg.

We departed my house around noon(?) headed for a short hike at Massanutten at the top of Del Webb Dr. After passing through the most useless and inefective security office EVER, we rode on up to the overlook.
From Massanutten Hike with Melton

Hey! Who took that shot?

We hiked/walked north along the trail towards Kaylor Knob. At one point, we encountered snow along the trail. Cool. I wonder what Melton is thinking in this shot. Any caption ideas people?

After hiking a little over a mile, we arrived at Kaylor Knob.

View East towards Elkton/Shenandoah

View South down the trail:

Everytime I go up here, I always mean to bring a nail so I can put this sign back up. Everyime I forget the nail but have a good time trying to find the sign scattered somewhere in the vicinity........Found it!

Some snow at the top.

After reaching the top, we headed back down to the bikes. I don't think either one of us shutup the entire way down.

Once we reached the bikes, we realized how cold it really is when you are not moving or keeping busy. After suiting up and putting in my earplugs and helmet, we had a few people come over and chat. Its always hard to hear when you have ear plugs in, and I find myself yelling at people on accident. Sorry bewildered children blinded by our bright colors and deafened by our yelling as they asked us "aren't you cold?"

After warming up the bikes, we set off down Massanutten, into the Kettle and out the main gate. We split our seperate ways at the Exxon on Rt. 33, him filling up for gas and ultimately heading East, and I going home to have some food (somehow forgot to eat today)

On the way back, I pulled off 33 to take some neat pics of Massanutten with the clouds.

It was here, I noticed I missed a call from Skippii, so I called him back and had an awkward conversation with my helmet on/earplugs in on Speakerphone. Sorry Skippii.

I was in serious need of some comfort food so I stopped by Martin's on my way home and picked up some dinner.
ADV Salute!