Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #16
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
The pieces that come with the turbo city rack do nothing to beef up the sub frame, they only add a bolting location for the rack. The twisted throttle unit will actually strengthen the sub frame by triangulating the back of the frame to the passenger pegs mounting bolts. (which is what you would do if you had a fab shop) Nice job TT!
Old 11-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #17
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
sure looks like you could use both the turbo city and the twisted throttle one at the same time.
Now why would you do that when you could have these two items?

SW-MOTECH Steel-Rack Toprack - The rack in this picture is configured with bobbins to accept a TraX ALU-BOX but the rack is pre-configured to accept optional hardware to attach Pelican and Givi Monokey cases as well.

SW-MOTECH Hard-Bolt Sidecarrier - This rack in this picture was configured to accept TraX side cases but you can put different hardware on this rack (no drilling required) for Pelican, TraX, Givi Monokey, Bags-Connection Aero, Hepco & Becker, Shad or Krauser (non-K Wing) cases

Old 11-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #18
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Man for $50.00 that looks like it's worth a try! Nice job!
With the bends in the braces, I dont believe they would provide much support. They would flex or bend on the corners IMO.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #19
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
With the bends in the braces, I dont believe they would provide much support. They would flex or bend on the corners IMO.
If you were to stand on them in the position they are mounted on the bike it would not be possible to bend them.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #20
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,177
Quote:
Did you see how thick they are? I bet they would hold really well. Try taking a piece of 1/4" steel with a bend in it and try to bend or break it... Really strong stuff! I have broken 3 subframes in the past and weld on braces, but this looks like the next best thing for sure!

Personally, I can't see why in the world anyone would ever want hard bags on an XRL for the sidetracks, but to each his own. It seems like people are wanting them, so good on TT for making them! Definitely looks like quality stuff!

To ride the "L" the way I like, hard bags would be like hammers in a get off. Some people ride them almost solely on the street, so having this option is great!

More stuff please! (I ordered a tail light and will report once I see it installed!)
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #21
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Did you see how thick they are? I bet they would hold really well. Try taking a piece of 1/4" steel with a bend in it and try to bend or break it... Really strong stuff! I have broken 3 subframes in the past and weld on braces, but this looks like the next best thing for sure!

Personally, I can't see why in the world anyone would ever want hard bags on an XRL for the sidetracks, but to each his own. It seems like people are wanting them, so good on TT for making them! Definitely looks like quality stuff!

To ride the "L" the way I like, hard bags would be like hammers in a get off. Some people ride them almost solely on the street, so having this option is great!

More stuff please! (I ordered a tail light and will report once I see it installed!)
Thanks for the vote of confidence Phil. Hardbags aren't for everybody but the side carriers also make nice supports for softbags also. Our intention was to sell the top carrier, side carriers and subframe support arms separately so you can mix and match as needed or use with your existing gear.

Kev
Old 06-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #22
bdoug
Let's ride!

Oddometer: 8
Thumbs down Don't do crack!

The crack in my frame is similar to the one in the picture. It's located just behind where the frame y's. I found it after the exhaust bracket on my DG slip on broke.
bdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #23
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I am no engineer but I can tell you that there is no way these will bend while attached to the XR650L.

They are mega meaty and the bends are going in the "wrong" direction.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...-xr650l-silver

Kevin
Old 06-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #24
Canyonlandman
Stop, drop, and roll

Oddometer: 27
Did we ever get a decision on this? Ive got the FMF Q4
Canyonlandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #25
Deftone1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfender View Post
The pieces that come with the turbo city rack do nothing to beef up the sub frame, they only add a bolting location for the rack. The twisted throttle unit will actually strengthen the sub frame by triangulating the back of the frame to the passenger pegs mounting bolts. (which is what you would do if you had a fab shop) Nice job TT!
Actually, the turbo city part does a nice job of distributing the forces that would break the OEM subframe, I think it would work very well. You are correct about the TT piece, it will make the sub frame super strong by triangulating the entire sub frame assembly. The metal used is very beefy. This would be the ideal set up for very heavy loads and/or really hard riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
I went with the Manracks unit. It looks like it will provide more than enough support for my use, it won't add a lot of weight and the price was right at only $30.

'03 XR650L (ADV?)
Deftone1 is offline   Reply With Quote