Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
Dauntless OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Has anyone here wrecked or almost wrecked from slipping on tar snakes?

The idiots around here love to pour tar over the cracks in the road. It got warm enough to make them super slippery. I was making a slow turn into my neighborhood and I hit one which made my front end slide out. I ran a little wide but avoided the curb. Last year, after they just put the tar down, a newbie rider slid out and wrecked his friends brand new Repsol Honda. It had less than 150 miles on it and it was totaled. The dude didn't get hurt though.
Dauntless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,656
I've never almost wrecked on them, but I don't like them anyway. The closest I came to wrecking on them was when I was riding out in Wyoming through Bighorn Canyon. That road had tar snakes like a spiderweb all over it and it was a bit nerve wracking trying to ride a good pace through that road, what with the sheer drop-offs around nearly every corner and the tar snakes everywhere.

That said, I don't know that they're all that dangerous, to be honest. They're generally pretty sticky compared to pavement, I can't really imagine actually slipping on one, but they certainly can make you nervous riding on them and could maybe cause a loss of traction by unsettling your suspension. I think most crashes attributed to tar snakes are caused by the former, though - with newer, less experienced riders tensing up and causing a crash through rider error rather than loss of traction because of the snake itself.

Though I will grant that they can sometimes get a bit greasy when it's really, really hot out.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Never gone down from them, but I have had them peel off the road and stick to my tire for a few revolutions. That's not pleasant.

I ride with a margin to allow for tar snakes, gravel, etc in curves. Tar snakes in particular get a wider margin when it gets very hot.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
At the bottom of an exit ramp in town there is a section where they just smeared tar across the whole road. It's pretty hairy when it gets wet, especially since it's a downhill. I intentionally ran the stop sign at the bottom one day, since I was having such a hard time stopping, and didn't trust the car behind me.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,521
I started a thread about five years ago on the same topic. The consensus is that if it's hot enough, they can be slippery ranging from annoying to fatal. I hate 'em. When I started the thread, I was living in Utah where they are very common. Here in WA state, not so much, it's the rubber arrows and signage on the roads we have to worry about on the rare occasion when it rains.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,205
bike have wiggled a bit under my ass but no crashed. we have ped crossing strips that are more slippery. snakes do worry me on hot days though
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #7
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
No crashes....but sure straightened me up a few times....non slip,but wriggly... RCMP's latest attempt at speed control...always seems to be my fave roads get done....
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Lots of them in California too... nothing but a bit unnerving for me. I slow down a bit when I find them in the mountains.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,698
I just rode around Moab ,Utah and with the temps.near 100 the Tar Snakes were wicked. We have them here in Texas where it gets REAL HOT and you gotta be careful. Slippery when HOT...
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 594
Haven't gone down but...

Riding rt8 through Mass. can be worse when the snakes are out then it is in the winter. IDK why but my front seems to slip out on them in even the slightest of curves. I hate them!!
Old 06-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #11
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,054
Something that I've found is that certain brands of tires are more susceptible to tar snake slippage. Michelins seem to be very finicky on them.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #12
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,195
Tar snakes are slicker than the rest of the tarmac. Especially when wet.

I have never fell, but have come close a time or two when the front slipped on them when really hauling. That small slip when half leaned becomes a huge slide when you are keeled over full tilt. You just have a slow down a bit in the dry, alot in the wet if tar snakes are present. Like I said, you really have to be hauling it to have it cause any real issues.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #13
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
No but I thought a few times that it was going to put me down, even worse with my new bike with a topcase and fairing the bike is top heavy.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 95k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #14
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,116
Almost. But I saved it. I was also riding like an asshole at the time.
Something I have consciously decided to no longer do.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #15
Friz Freleng
Zorgon of Mars

Oddometer: 159
Went for a ride on Thursday and had a couple breathtaking wake up calls when I hit tar snakes. I hate the things and it wasn't that hot out.

“The Prius is as frumpy as any car I’ve seen, like an over-full colostomy bag.” -- New York Times automotive writer Lawrence Ulrich
Friz Freleng is offline   Reply With Quote