User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
op48no1 OP
Trust, but verify

Oddometer: 1,662
I'm hit but not bad -- R2, see what you can do with it

Another random story, again not airhead related (but it could have been).

Was riding in city traffic today. Some woman in a Prius hit me from behind while I was in motion. The back of the bike skipped to the left, but I didn't go down. I accelerated, pulled to the right, and motioned to her to pull over. She didn't stop so I followed her onto the Mass Pike, trying to get her to pull over -- which she did not do. I got behind her and caught up with her at the tolls. Pulled up to the right; there were two women in the car. The passenger rolled down the window a bit. I was, like, "You hit me back there." The driver said, "Well, we didn't know who you were and we didn't want to pull over." So I told them they scared the piss out of me and could they please be careful. And have a nice day.

The bike seems OK. I think she hit my rear tire. I've got to put it up on the stand tonight and check the rear end for slop.

Cripes...

-Henry
op48no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
Morgan Steele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by op48no1 View Post
Some woman in a Prius hit me from behind while I was in motion.
After she hit you, did you thank her for saving the world?

Lately, there's something about Prius drivers that is driving me nuts. I had one drag race me last week as 2 lanes merged into 1, and I was driving a sport coupe. Then, 2 days later, I had one blow by me on the freeway at 90 in a 65 zone when I was on my VFR.

At least I understand the dbags in BMWs (having been a former owner). Irony alert: my wife wants one so we'll probably buy one this year.
Morgan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
Beater
The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer: 3,522
I would have called the police and gotten her ass dragged away. You're a better man than I.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
I would have called the police and gotten her ass dragged away. You're a better man than I.
X2

It's a hit and run. She can tell her excuses to a judge.
Jim Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:58 PM   #5
Steve in OC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Oh, good lord.

Sorry, Henry, but that was a text book example of how NOT to handle a vehicle collision, especially a hit and run.

Always demand that they pull over. Always get their contact/insurance info. And always report it (if the other driver was at at fault, and not you).

You may find that your bike is damaged, and now you have no recourse (unless you somehow got their contact info, insurance info, etc.)

Steve in OC screwed with this post 05-22-2015 at 05:04 PM
Steve in OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
X2

It's a hit and run. She can tell her excuses to a judge.
X3. What he said.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #7
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 1,238
better than I too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
You're a better man than I.
I live in Miami,
it is a zoo here,
I have had bad things happen in traffic,
I have done bad things in traffic.

Thak goodness you are ok.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:24 PM   #8
op48no1 OP
Trust, but verify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in OC View Post
Oh, good lord.

Sorry, Henry, but that was a text book example of how NOT to handle a vehicle collision, especially a hit and run.

Always demand that they pull over. Always get their contact/insurance info. And always report it (if the other driver was at at fault, and not you).

You may find that your bike is damaged, and now you have no recourse (unless you somehow got their contact info, insurance info, etc.)
I understand. Normally, when someone hits you, they pull over. I tried and tried and tried to get the woman to pull over, but she's a young woman and I am a leather-clad, meth-dealing, death-wishing, gang-banging biker. So she freaked up and ran. I get it. And now, I'm in the middle of the Mass Pike toll booth lanes trying to talk to these people, and other car drivers are going nuts and honking their horns and being all angry because we're blocking traffic. I'm wearing earplugs and a helmet and am having a hard time communicating and I just said, "Fuck it."

I have the license plate number and I could report a hit-and-run, but I really, really don't like talking to cops. And the women could claim I was driving in a threatening manner and I could end up getting charged with vehicular assault. There is no visual damage, no witnesses, and if there is internal damage no way to prove it was caused by the accident. Given that these women seemed intent on remaining safely inside their car, I felt my options were limited. So I decided the best thing to do was to be polite and at least impress on them that some motorcyclists, at least, are regular guys (and girls) who don't appreciate being rear-ended.

Also, a long, long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) I was driving my Saab 900 and some young girl in a car hit me in the rear bumper, similar to what happened today. And I did the same thing, and she ran, except that I didn't catch up with her. I reported her license plate to the cops and it turned out to be a big nuisance. And in the end, the story was the girl didn't realize she hit me and thought I was trying to threaten her, and I was sorry I ever followed up on it.

Anyway, your advice is good, but as motorcyclists we have to realize that the public doesn't think of us as regular motorists and doesn't always behave with us they way the might otherwise if we were driving cars. And that sucks, but trying to force or threaten someone to pull over against their will can easily go bad for the motorcyclist. IMHO.

Edit: This just in from my sister, via iMessage:

-Henry
Old 05-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #9
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,551
Several years ago (ok, probably 15) I rear ended a woman on my R80. This was at a merge island with a yield sign where a woman was stopped in front of me. I was watching traffic. When the traffic cleared, I went and expected her to go ... but she didn't. Having the notorious single caliper front brake, I could not stop in time and bounced my front tire off her rear bumper. It was embarrassing and she could have made a big deal out of the situation but didn't. I am now much more cautious and that has not happened again.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #10
flei
cycletherapist

Oddometer: 1,085
OP- Glad you are ok! I'm sorry to say my wife drives a Prius (and loves it!), so I am intimately familiar with this vehicle. As far as I am concerned, it's the shittiest car I ever drove! The ergos are terrible. The sight-lines are terrible. The brakes are terrible. The acceleration is, obviously, terrible. The handling is terrible. The distracting dashboard touch-screen that controls the stereo, climate control, nav system, and, worst of all, mpg read-out, should be illegal as you have to stare at it, there in the center of your console, to find the control you want. Just changing your radio station puts you at risk for an accident. My wife, who is in general an excellent driver, likes to watch this screen to see her mpg's while she drives! Lucky for us, it wasn't her that hit you!
Old 05-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #11
Steve in OC
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, Henry, you can't make someone pull over! But at least you got their license number so that's good.

In case anyone is wondering: no one is excused from stopping after a collision. No one can excuse their hit-and-run by claiming that the biker dude they hit was scary, and they felt they had to get away from him. Total BS. The only exception I can think of: a judge and jury might cut a young girl a little slack for running in such a situation, but only so long as she stopped at the nearest safe place (gas station, city hall, police station, etc.). But if she just drove away, not stopping or even attempting to stop at the nearest safe place, the judge and jury would have no mercy. She'd be hit with a felony and serious fines, etc.

Oh, one other exception: if the biker was acting aggressive or unstable, the driver should run away and not stop until they find a police station or similarly safe place.

What should Henry have done when it became clear the girls were not going to stop? Get their license number and report them to the police.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:06 PM   #12
op48no1 OP
Trust, but verify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in OC View Post
What should Henry have done when it became clear the girls were not going to stop? Get their license number and report them to the police.
Probably, but I have a pathological aversion to police. I could still report them, but I'm not going to. It's not worth the heartache.

-Henry
Old 05-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #13
Steve in OC
Gnarly Adventurer

Really? Why an aversion to police? It's not like you are a runaway prisoner, or a parole skip, or subject to an outstanding warrant, or a racial minority.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:19 PM   #14
ccmickelson
MonoMania

Oddometer: 344
A Prius driver raked just about the entire drivers side of my truck in a parking lot a few years ago. Yes, what is it about Prius drivers? I also have a prejudice toward Lexus drivers (same company!).
Old 05-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #15
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 848
You have your reasons, Henry, but I'm with the others. She hit and ran, and now probably believes she was justified, and will carry that forward the next bike she hits.

But, most importantly, you're OK.

Bluetooth brain removal system. Tell your sis that was great!

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote