Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #2191
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
Quick back story, two surgeries in my left hand prevents me from operating the clutch lever without pain. Been looking at maxi scooter options, NC700X DCT, Aprilia Mana, even some standard bikes with a light clutch action like the wee-Strom.

The AE was not on my radar screen because I don't see many for sale. But shit, I can't pass this up. Any negatives I need to consider?
None that I'm aware of.
To my knowledge the electric clutch worked just fine, it just wasn't particularly popular, particularly considering it added cost to the bike.
It would be a fantastic option for you, given your left hand limitations. Snap it up!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #2192
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Thanks all for the quick response. I don't think they are open on Monday, but will call just to make sure.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #2193
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,907
My friend has an AE with the electric clutch. He loves it. Can use either the foot shifter or the thumb operated shifters on the handlebar. I think he had to make some adjustments to the system to prevent it from juddering during low speed takeoffs or manuevering where the system has to slip the clutch a lot.

He's had zero problems with it since.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #2194
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,161
Anyone have the '13 with the stock heated grips able to compare with aftermarket ones the previously used on an earlier model? I'm curious if its easy or worth it to buy the '13 grips to install on an older ('08) bike.

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #2195
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrate View Post
Anyone have the '13 with the stock heated grips able to compare with aftermarket ones the previously used on an earlier model? I'm curious if its easy or worth it to buy the '13 grips to install on an older ('08) bike.

How much are they?
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #2196
mikeysduck
Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer: 208
HTML Code:
Anyone have the '13 with the stock heated grips
 able to compare with aftermarket ones the previously used 
on an earlier model? I'm curious if its easy or worth it to buy
 the '13 grips to install on an older ('08) bike.
I have an 06. I installed Honda ST1300 grips. They run around 118 F on high, about 7 F hotter than the 2008 Goldwing I had. I also used the ST bar end weights. They are heaver than the Yamaha's and took some of the buzzzzzzz out of the bars.

This was a good choice for me.

06 FJR1300 09 KTM 450 EXCR 75 Norton 850 E-Start Project 69 Z-50A Mini Trail with Lights 03 GasGas 280 Pro 14 Tiger 800 03 CRF 230
mikeysduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #2197
pyrate
Walking the plank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysduck View Post
HTML Code:
Anyone have the '13 with the stock heated grips
 able to compare with aftermarket ones the previously used 
on an earlier model? I'm curious if its easy or worth it to buy
 the '13 grips to install on an older ('08) bike.
I have an 06. I installed Honda ST1300 grips. They run around 118 F on high, about 7 F hotter than the 2008 Goldwing I had. I also used the ST bar end weights. They are heaver than the Yamaha's and took some of the buzzzzzzz out of the bars.

This was a good choice for me.
Thanks. I'll check that out.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #2198
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
The 2013 grips wouldn't work on an earlier model since they are controlled from the LH switch.

I had an '06 with the factory grips installed on it and they worked great with the controller on the fairing panel below the clutch lever. If you see a 2010 or newer FJR (stock heated grips) that's what the install looks like.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #2199
pyrate
Walking the plank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
The 2013 grips wouldn't work on an earlier model since they are controlled from the LH switch.

I had an '06 with the factory grips installed on it and they worked great with the controller on the fairing panel below the clutch lever. If you see a 2010 or newer FJR (stock heated grips) that's what the install looks like.
Thanks. Just bought it so trying to sort some options.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #2200
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,103
Quote:
Quick back story, two surgeries in my left hand prevents me from operating the clutch lever without pain. Been looking at maxi scooter options, NC700X DCT, Aprilia Mana, even some standard bikes with a light clutch action like the wee-Strom.

The AE was not on my radar screen because I don't see many for sale. But shit, I can't pass this up. Any negatives I need to consider?
I know that Hollink Honda in Rochester NY is also heavily discounting an AE that is brand new but about an '07. It was still there yesterday. (and last year, and the year before that, and...) I don't know your location so it may not matter.
I knew someone who's brother also bought one for medical reasons and loved it.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #2201
______
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Local dealer has a 2009, zero miles, for $10,300. What ye say?
I say that is $1300 less than I paid for an '09 AE last June. I had some trouble adjusting to the handlebar angle, but got over it without making changes to the bike. I thought I had developed carpel tunnel after a couple weeks of riding. The problem was that I was putting to much weight on my arms. 9,000 miles later I'm quite happy.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #2202
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
I know that Hollink Honda in Rochester NY is also heavily discounting an AE that is brand new but about an '07. It was still there yesterday. (and last year, and the year before that, and...) I don't know your location so it may not matter.
I knew someone who's brother also bought one for medical reasons and loved it.
Well it turns out the one I see locally, the non current, is actually a 2007 as well. A full 2 years older than I previously thought. The dealer is not open on Monday, and may be closed Tuesday as well, Mardi Gras you know. Seems like excellent used examples of 2007 AEs sell for around $8500 or so retail. Correct me if I am wrong on that. I know this bike is a non current, not new, and comes with all the possible problems that can show up after sitting for six years. So I may make an offer, I certainly won't pay $10,300, but still I'm somewhat at a loss to figure out what it's worth now. I'm thinking maybe $9,500. Is that too much?
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #2203
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
wires from tender/heated grips?

Hey All,

Just wondering what the collective wisdom from the masses is on routing wires for a battery tender and heated gloves is?

Are people running it under the tank? Or zip tying to a part of the frame?

I bought my '06 last summer but an injury kept me from riding much this fall/winter. Just getting into some of the minor mods now.

Thanks,

Cord
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #2204
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
There is an OEM retrofit kit for heated grips, part # ABA-2D237-40-00, they run 300-400, ex:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-2006...sories&vxp=mtr

I have been considering this for mine
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #2205
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,316
Quote:
As mentioned above, heated grips from '13 won't work on previous models.

The OEM heated grips are wider than after market heated grips from Oxford for example, so if you go for aftermarket grips, you will have a gap between the switchgear and the grips. FWIW, I have the same yamaha heated grips on my SuperTenere and in the full on position, they get so hot, I have to turn them down, plus they are pretty much plug'n'play, the bike is pre-wired for them.