User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,617
Short Person's DRz400e Adventure Project and Questions

I'm trying to solve the age-old problem is putting together a pseudo adventure bike for my wife. She's 5'4" tall (maybe), and has a 27" inseam. Of all the bikes she's owned in the past her most fond memories are of her DRz400s that was converted to an SM, so the DRz is the platform for this project. We sold her F650 Dakar with the Yamaha front end yesterday. That bike was awesome and I wished that she'd have learned to love it, but the bottoms line is that even lowered it was too tall for her to feel comfortable, and too heavy for her to ride with me in same types of places I will be riding my new 690.

There are quite a few DRZs for sale in the state and there were a couple on the market locally. We looked at the local ones yesterday afternoon and picked up an 03 400e for a reasonable price. We decided on the E for its performance over the stock s. Additionally, this one is a good platform, runs out well, and has a few upgrades we need, and there was no big road trip needed to go get it. The bike seems to have reasonably few hours/miles on it based on the limited boot-rub, clean motor and limited wear and tear. It's not new and fresh by any means, but it's already plated, been mechanically cared for, and the owner provided a huge wad of receipts to back up his claims of care...

The plan is to get this thing low enough for my wife to feel comfortable riding it in places she would not ride the Dakar but still provide her with on-road performance as well. I want to accomplish this by lowering the suspension 2", installing a Seat Concepts low seat, and swapping out the stock wheels for a 19" front and 17" rear. It's also going to need a larger tank, wind protection, a rear rack, and taller gearing to make up for the smaller wheels and provide on-road ride-ability. In addition to that she's going to require we do some beautification. We're going to lose the yellow, replace the bars and handguards, and probably add a little bling here and there...

Now for a few questions...
Starting with wheels. We are on a budget and I already know tha it's going to get blown out of the water quickly. Can you recommend a wheel supplier/builder that sells decent quality stuff at the best prices? Woody's Wheel Works is an obvious choice but their website only lists some very high quality stuff that comes at considerably high pricing for our budget. I have filled out their online request form and requested to hear about any other options they may suggest.

Are any of you running a 110/80/19 tire on a 2.15" rim? Some charts say that's a good fit, others say we'll need a 2.5" front rim. Opinions?

Rear tire size and rim fitment is a HUGE question mark....
First-what size TKC 80 rear will fit in this swingarm without rubbing the chain or swingarm? I know a 130/80/17 will fit. I'm almost certain a 140/80/17 will fit, and I'm pretty sure that even a 150/70/17 will fit but that may be really close...

The second rear wheel related question is with regards to rim size. The Supermoto rims on the market that are priced competetiv for these bikes are 4.25" wide, but it seems as if we have to run the 150 tires that may not fit if we go with a rim that wide. Will a 130/80/17 and/or a 140/80/17 TKC 80 also work on a 4.25" rim? Seems like if we want to run a 150 we need the bigger rim and if we want to run the 130 or 140 we'll need a 3.5" rim... Anyone out there have first hand experience with this on an e model or s model.

Another question... What rear rack will fit on the e model? There are tons of options for the s or sm that have the big subframe, but I'm not finding anything under $170 for a tail rack that bolts up to the e model. Suggestions?

Last question for now. Are there any options for protection and support to keep soft bags from rubbing the pipe or flopping under the rear fender and potentially rubbing the tire that are made for the E model? Again, I see plenty for the s and sm, not for the E.

Thanks in advance for looking and providing advice.

neepuk screwed with this post 03-29-2015 at 09:49 AM
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM   #2
stevo7706
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Why didn't you buy her an SM like she wanted?
stevo7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #3
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
I wonder who bought the Dakar?

What are you going to do for an exhaust? Keep the E header pipe, and do an S based slip on....an MRD would be awesome, and he will get the pipe size to mate. Then switch out to an S sub frame, and most of the problems are solved.

The E and the S exhausts have a slightly different rear mounting point. But that can be addressed in other ways too.

Wheels............look at Warp9 out of SLC, or look at Wheeling Cycle Supply in West Virginia. I got a set of SM wheels from Forrest at Wheeling Cycle and my son still uses them, no issues, no problems.

What kind of tank? I have a black stock E tank from a KLX400 if you don't need oversized.

Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM   #4
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
Oh, and pics are required.
Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM   #5
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,617
At this point we'll leave the stock exhaust on there since its been modified. It seems to run out pretty darn well with the 3x3 mod done. We've got enough money to spend on wheels and all the other goodies at this point. We will it on a larger capacity tank, probably in black... I sent an email off the Warp 9 yesterday but haven't heard back from them yet. Never heard of wheeling but I'll be sure to get pricing from them too! Thanks for the tip. I'll likely keep the lighter, smaller e subframe as well. Just need to find a decent rear rack that mates up with it.
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote