ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
Wallee OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 21
Wallee's Dr350 build!

So I thought I would talk with you guys here and get some ideas and info on Fixing up my dr350. I have seen a thread or two people in the past have made on this subject but it takes hours and hours of reading through those to find stuff. So I would like to make my own thread and share my progess. This build is going to be as fast as I can but will be limited at times as money comes in to do what I need to do. So far I purchased my bike and have installed new rings, had the head gone through by a local head shop, new valves, new gasket kit, and cleaned the carb. Bike only has 9k miles on it so not to bad and the top end is fresh now anyways!

Parts ordered so Far are: New Clarke gas cap, as the old one was missing seal and had been painted for some reason lol, New front and rear acerbis universal fit fenders, and acerbis ce certified tail light!


Fill me in on your vast knowledge of this 350!

Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Wallee OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 21
Question

New plastics installed, having trouble with wiring my acerbis universal tail light. Green blue and yellow wire on the new light. Old wires are black brown white. Black goes to green I believe but whenever I hook up either of the other two they engage the break light. If I hook up one or the other (yellow or blue) one works the running light one is the brake light. Scratching my head still lol
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
Wallee OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 21
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
Soldier311
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Eastern NC
Oddometer: 628
Wallee,
Why did you feel the need to do new rings, valves, head work, etc. with less than 10K miles on it?
__________________
"It's more fun to ride a slow girl fast than a fast girl slow."
1999 DR350SEX
Soldier311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
Wallee OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier311 View Post
Wallee,
Why did you feel the need to do new rings, valves, head work, etc. with less than 10K miles on it?
No compression when I bought it. I bought it for 600$ not running. Bent valve as well
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
Soldier311
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Eastern NC
Oddometer: 628
Oh, yeah, that would make sense then. Did you find anything specific that was causing it? Valve stuck open, perhaps?
__________________
"It's more fun to ride a slow girl fast than a fast girl slow."
1999 DR350SEX
Soldier311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
Wallee OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier311 View Post
Oh, yeah, that would make sense then. Did you find anything specific that was causing it? Valve stuck open, perhaps?
My friend did the rebuild for me and he didn't say. He just showed me the stuff and took the heads in to the head shop. Next rebuild on any bike I have to I want to try to do it myself!
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
jesse soric
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia
Oddometer: 69
Wallee, regarding your brake light. Mine did the same thing and it turned out it was the switch. I just fiddled with the switch height until it worked. Was an easy fix.
jesse soric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
Tukata
ADV Demo Rider
 
Tukata's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Woodstock, GA
Oddometer: 1,388
What's the budget?

I loved the way it rode after I re-did the suspension on the cheap.
Get a dr350 offroad shock with the external resivoir for dirt cheap, aftermarket spring, race tech gold valve, and hybrid shock time.
Set of springs and new fluid in the front. Or add the gold valves also

Carb is a piece of junk
I used a drz400s carb, but others use the mikuni or expensive pumper

Petcock- throw it away and get raptor with the Clark tank

I removed a few unesassary brackets that you probably already did with the new fender

Moose skid plate is awesome and cheap

Bars are crap as most stock bars
Probably get some risers

Exhaust is personal preference
Most people see no gains from an exhaust, but stock is so quiet you forget it's running. Jesse it think does a $65 mod to the stock exhaust that sounds better.

What are you wanting to do to it?
__________________
Yes, I'd love to try
What ever happens to be in the stable at the current time.
H-ADV in fabrication
Tukata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
Wallee OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukata View Post
What's the budget?

I loved the way it rode after I re-did the suspension on the cheap.
Get a dr350 offroad shock with the external resivoir for dirt cheap, aftermarket spring, race tech gold valve, and hybrid shock time.
Set of springs and new fluid in the front. Or add the gold valves also

Carb is a piece of junk
I used a drz400s carb, but others use the mikuni or expensive pumper

Petcock- throw it away and get raptor with the Clark tank

I removed a few unesassary brackets that you probably already did with the new fender

Moose skid plate is awesome and cheap

Bars are crap as most stock bars
Probably get some risers

Exhaust is personal preference
Most people see no gains from an exhaust, but stock is so quiet you forget it's running. Jesse it think does a $65 mod to the stock exhaust that sounds better.

What are you wanting to do to it?
Looking to maybe make it into a supermoto, but I want to keep my dirt set! Figured out the tail light and got it fixed! How did the drz carb work out? Easy to install?
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
Tukata
ADV Demo Rider
 
Tukata's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Woodstock, GA
Oddometer: 1,388
DRZ carb was awesome.
It ran a thousand times better, but you need to use a different size clamp for the connectors. The drz400e clamp works(I had a parts bike) and let me think about the air snorkel(may have used the drz400e also, but don't remember)

Just re-route the 350 throttle cables and your golden.
__________________
Yes, I'd love to try
What ever happens to be in the stable at the current time.
H-ADV in fabrication
Tukata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
Wallee OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukata View Post
DRZ carb was awesome.
It ran a thousand times better, but you need to use a different size clamp for the connectors. The drz400e clamp works(I had a parts bike) and let me think about the air snorkel(may have used the drz400e also, but don't remember)

Just re-route the 350 throttle cables and your golden.
Did it pep the bike up any?
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #13
Wallee OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 21
Check out my rear fender set up.

Also seat cover and new gas cap arrived today!!!
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #14
Tukata
ADV Demo Rider
 
Tukata's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Woodstock, GA
Oddometer: 1,388
Yes but the bike is not as fast as a drz on pep.
The 6 speed is soooooooo nice for on the road.

I like them geared down a little and I've seen some nice big bore kits but honestly the bike rode very well just re geared and minor mods. If you want a really fast super moot you need a 450+
__________________
Yes, I'd love to try
What ever happens to be in the stable at the current time.
H-ADV in fabrication
Tukata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #15
Wallee OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukata View Post
Yes but the bike is not as fast as a drz on pep.
The 6 speed is soooooooo nice for on the road.

I like them geared down a little and I've seen some nice big bore kits but honestly the bike rode very well just re geared and minor mods. If you want a really fast super moot you need a 450+
Eventually plan to get a wr450 but the dr350 will do for now! I really enjoy riding it off road! Will definitely look into that carb swap!
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014