Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 06:09 AM   #1
enigma2y0u OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Bike for 13 Year Old boy (unique situation)

I know I just have a thread asking about my little girl, but I have another question about a 13YO boy.

One of my few friends passed away last year leaving two kids and a wife behind. The boy is 13 and I try to take him riding once/month as my work allows (I work away from home).

He has grown quite a bit over the last year and is now right at 6' tall, but really skinny. Maybe 130-140 or so. Hasn't filled out at all yet.

He currently rides a Kawasaki KLX 140 and is starting to look a bit goofy on it. Plus the thing is so under powered and sprung he cannot get any better. I mentioned to his mom that he may need a new bike if we are going to keep this up. She told me that her father said a similar comment.

Fast forward a few weeks and she contacted me about going shopping with her to find a bike for him for Christmas. My mind is all over the place about what to get.

- Being a single mother and me working on the road a new bike is going to make the most sense. It will be more reliable, require less work, etc. etc. etc.

- He is not likely going to get another bike before he is on his own and capable of buying himself one. This is a one shot deal. It needs to have enough power for when he is 200lbs and needs to fit him right now at 135lbs. Beginner to advanced. A do it all off road bike.

- He is 6' tall and requires a full size bike.

We ride slow technical desert mostly, but I also ride high rockies (jeep trails mostly), no real tight woods.

---------------------------------------------------------

What to buy? Maybe a 250 four stroke or 200 two stroke?

Any help?

ETA: I ride a KTM 300 and 500 if that makes some sort of difference.
enigma2y0u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:48 AM   #2
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
So he pretty much already knows how to ride right?

Two stroke 200 could be a nice bike, just set the power valve for the softest weakest hit. I'm 200lbs and my personal bike is a 300, but I have ridden my friend's KTM 200XCW and its got plenty of power for a full size adult.

But since you aren't really doing any tight single track stuff, a comparable 250 4stroke would work fine too. Though I have no personal experience w/ a KTM 250XCF (or any of the other trail 4strokes).
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:55 AM   #3
dirt hokie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
first off you are a good friend.

I don't know the budget but do not discount a good well cared for used bike. There are more options in that market. It sounds like a XR 250 would be a good one, but they are not made new any more. Short of serious racing, it will do everything you want and last forever. Another used option for a great all round used bike is the TTR 250, its electric start which is nice but very similar to a xr 250. I used to own one and loved it.

Maybe a WR 250 F ? , Yamaha still makes YZ 125 new, not sure if that would work for you, but light and tops ends are easy and cheap to do and a young man could do that work himself.

My nephew is about the same size, but older, he rides a DRZ 400 and does fine, but he probably has more strength for his weight then a 13 yr old.
dirt hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:57 AM   #4
wadenelson
Rider/Writer

Oddometer: 447
Yeah, a Yamaha or KTM 250...

Your're doing this kid and his Mom a solid helping him get his first serious bike....gonna be a Christmas you remember a long time, Santa.
Old Today, 07:59 AM   #5
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,705
Agreed

Either a 200XC-W or 250XCF or WR250F

"9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me Im crazy, one just hums"
wiswoodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:04 AM   #6
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
Agreed

Either a 200XC-W or 250XCF or WR250F
^^^ Yup, what he said ^^^

fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:28 AM   #7
Dao1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
OP,
is he in h/s right now, or still in middle school?
How long has he been riding?
How many bikes has he had?
Dao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:42 AM   #8
Firestone
RFVC Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Too much bike?

If you have $7K-8K to spend on a bike those may be good, as well as the Honda CRF250X. All high performance bikes and will work great after he has more experience. Maybe too much bike and too high geared for a 13 year old on trails even as tall as he is, all with 37+ inch seat heights.

I would be more comfortable putting him on a Trail bike such as the CRF230F which is 3 inches lower and $3K less dollars. And dead hammer honda air cooled simple and reliable. Or a Yami TTR250. Lots of fun, simple and easy to maintain, and can carry a 200lb rider on trails and slow techy stuff. Too much bike could turn him off to riding at this age especially when your not there to help all the time.

Good luck man!
13' XR650L --> TrailTech 8" Race Light, Symtec Grip Heat, Acerbis 5.8 Tank, CycleRacks Tail Rack, Corbin & Toolbag "Seat", Wolfman/Pelican, XR's Oil Temp, Moose XRR Sprocket & Chain, 4 Yr. old mod, Dave's Mod, Acerbis handguards

Firestone screwed with this post Today at 10:51 AM
Firestone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:08 PM   #9
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,474
KDX200/220 or a KTM 125/200EXC/MXC if he is a racer type. Most athletic 13 year olds can adapt to a MX 125 pretty easily too.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:38 PM   #10
jehu
∩HƏſ

Oddometer: 3,675
Las Cruces:

http://lascruces.craigslist.org/mcy/4764593488.html
Old Today, 01:19 PM   #11
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,839
What is is skill level? What sort of riding?

I'd think a Honda 230 or Yamaha 225. 4 stroke, cheap, easy to maintain.
If he progresses further... and wants to ride, then consider another bike.
You can always sell the 230 or 225.
Old Today, 01:59 PM   #12
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
If you have $7K-8K to spend on a bike those may be good, as well as the Honda CRF250X. All high performance bikes and will work great after he has more experience. Maybe too much bike and too high geared for a 13 year old on trails even as tall as he is, all with 37+ inch seat heights.

I would be more comfortable putting him on a Trail bike such as the CRF230F which is 3 inches lower and $3K less dollars. And dead hammer honda air cooled simple and reliable. Or a Yami TTR250. Lots of fun, simple and easy to maintain, and can carry a 200lb rider on trails and slow techy stuff. Too much bike could turn him off to riding at this age especially when your not there to help all the time.

Good luck man!
From the time I was 12 to 14, I went from a KD80 to KX 80 to YZ125. I couldn't get enough speed, was jumping everything I saw, and was wringing every ounce of what those bikes had to offer. I raced both the KX and YZ till I turned 16, and looking back was basically fearless on a bike

OP claims that this will most likely be the last bike he owns till he can afford to buy one himself. I think he would be looking to advance past a TTR or CRF after a few months

I say get him a bike that he won't grow out of. What I learned by having a bike the was "TOO BIG" was to respect the bike itself. They did have a lot of power for a kid to be riding, but I learned early on what kind of trouble I would get into if I rode over my head.

Doesnt matter what kind of bike you ride, your right hand controls how you use it.

"9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me Im crazy, one just hums"
wiswoodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:26 PM   #13
Soldier311
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestone View Post

Good luck man!
Good advice this^^^.

A KTM for a 13 yr old.? Good lord a'mighty, man - for real?
Old Today, 06:54 PM   #14
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
KLX250S.... cheap enough new and will last him.

griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:21 PM   #15
dogon2whls
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
first of all . . . huge props to you for making this happen for this kid . . . the dad is smiling upon you from somewhere .

one thing i'd keep in mind , not only is the kid going to be riding the bike , but hopefully he will also be learning how to maintain the bike .

keep it simple and cheap .
dogon2whls is online now   Reply With Quote