Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #136
aim2kill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpslickorocks View Post
Hello all,

I just got an 08 with 1k and I love this thing. It seems to idle super high once it has warmed up. I have searched high and low and cannot find if this is normal or how to adjust it down. Forgive me for not reading the entire thread to see if this has been addressed.

Thanks all in advance,
J.P.
I also picked up an xt250 this summer, i only got to ride it three or four times, but love the little machine, its very nimble on the single track when compared to my xrl.

is there any standard 'uncorking' to these machines? im happy with the way it is, works for what i do, but if its something simple, i'll play!

If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag. ~Author Unknown
aim2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:02 AM   #137
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
When I had my 08 I experimented with quite a few options for jetting/pipe/airbox mods.
The biggest problem I had was finding the proper jets due to Yamahahas choice in Teikei Carbs. (not much out there guys, esp. pilot jets.
Best combo I had that was also the cheapest was keeping the airbox stock, shimming the needle turning out the pilot adjustment circuit and putting a stock exhaust back on. (and 4 teeth less on the rear to make the bike usable on open roads)(still had plenty of gearing to loft the front wheel over trail obstacles.

Things I had tried....
TTR250 aftermarket exhaust, drilled stock exhaust, opend air-box, larger jets, cut springs, drilled slide and several other things I've forgotten about since getting rid of the bike
And F.W.I.W. I knew what I was doing as this was hardly my first attempt at hopping up a vehicle.

If I'd had the money, Id have maybe tried the raptor carb and an aftermarket cam for the raptor as well with the TTR exhaust I'd bought (and modified to fit)
All in all, at 13,000 miles and 1 years worth of winter commuting, the finish had gone to crap (major rust/wheel tarnishing) unlike any bike I had owned in the past and used the same way.
All in all = a nice little bike that I had fun with that might have ended up looking like shit but, was as reliable as anything else I've ever ridden.
In retrospect, I should have clear coated the entire bike (had I know about it's paint quality) so I'd still have it today.

Not sure what's available today but, in 08 there wasn't even a skid plate for it. (I modified a TTR skid plate for that as well)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #138
aim2kill
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
When I had my 08 I experimented with quite a few options for jetting/pipe/airbox mods.
The biggest problem I had was finding the proper jets due to Yamahahas choice in Teikei Carbs. (not much out there guys, esp. pilot jets.
Best combo I had that was also the cheapest was keeping the airbox stock, shimming the needle turning out the pilot adjustment circuit and putting a stock exhaust back on. (and 4 teeth less on the rear to make the bike usable on open roads)(still had plenty of gearing to loft the front wheel over trail obstacles.

Things I had tried....
TTR250 aftermarket exhaust, drilled stock exhaust, opend air-box, larger jets, cut springs, drilled slide and several other things I've forgotten about since getting rid of the bike
And F.W.I.W. I knew what I was doing as this was hardly my first attempt at hopping up a vehicle.

If I'd had the money, Id have maybe tried the raptor carb and an aftermarket cam for the raptor as well with the TTR exhaust I'd bought (and modified to fit)
All in all, at 13,000 miles and 1 years worth of winter commuting, the finish had gone to crap (major rust/wheel tarnishing) unlike any bike I had owned in the past and used the same way.
All in all = a nice little bike that I had fun with that might have ended up looking like shit but, was as reliable as anything else I've ever ridden.
In retrospect, I should have clear coated the entire bike (had I know about it's paint quality) so I'd still have it today.

Not sure what's available today but, in 08 there wasn't even a skid plate for it. (I modified a TTR skid plate for that as well)
so it sounds like for the most part, this bike will be staying as is. i would like ot invest in a little skid plate, but i might just end up making one from an old roadsign or something if there is no aftermarket support.
this bike is about 10% street and 90% dirt, so i wont be messing with the gearing. i see no reason, it will tractor right along just fine, and can still cruise on everything other than an interstate without a problem.

its a shame about the finish, i havent noticed anything on ours, but it hasnt been used much. i think i put it away with 285mi on the clock, and i bought it at 211. very little use, what i put on there was 100% offroad ...i have an XRL for when i need to cruise to work. we'll just use this one to hop over to some friends house's and such.

other than routine maint, did you have any major problems with your in the 13000 miles?

thanks for all the info!

If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag. ~Author Unknown
Old 04-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #139
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Here's a skid plate....and turbo city also makes racks and some other stuff. (just clearcoat their shit so it doesn't chip like mine did)

http://www.utahsportcycle.com/store/page271.html
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #140
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Long time lurker, first time poster. I brought home my new 2010 XT250 last Friday. Got one little ride in before it snowed again. Looking forward to cruising the woods this summer. I plan on riding dirt from Heber UT to Page AZ and back at some point. Pray for sunshine. -al

ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #141
aim2kill
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster. I brought home my new 2010 XT250 last Friday. Got one little ride in before it snowed again. Looking forward to cruising the woods this summer. I plan on riding dirt from Heber UT to Page AZ and back at some point. Pray for sunshine. -al

welcome!

take your bikes snow virginity away! mine not too much more than my old xr100, and it was a blast in the snow!

Old 04-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #142
troyfromtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
XT250 and Giant Loop Bag

I was curious if anyone riding a XT250 is using a Giant Loop bag? The Coyote bag (small-30L) seems like the natural fit for short trips, but I was also wondering if the Great Basin bag (large-50L) would fit well for a RTW trip. If you have a Coyote or Great Basin I'd welcome your feedback. And photos are always appreciated.

I've seen positive reviews for other bikes, but was wondering how either bag would work specifically with a XT250.

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

Thanks,

www.theadventurebegins.tv
2011 Suzuki DR650
troyfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #143
SprocketTX
Bull in China Shop

Oddometer: 137
We sell 'em, and the Coyote sells 10+ to 1 over the Great Basin. There's both great bags, but the Coyote is a better fit for small to mid-sized bikes ahile the Great Basin seems more at home on GS sized machines. The Great Basin is indeed huge, and unless packed full it doesn't feel nearly as secure IMHO. A well packed Coyote can get an average adventurer along for a week (I've done it in Colorado and Moab). A knarly world traveler could go on endlessly with one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyfromtexas View Post
I was curious if anyone riding a XT250 is using a Giant Loop bag? The Coyote bag (small-30L) seems like the natural fit for short trips, but I was also wondering if the Great Basin bag (large-50L) would fit well for a RTW trip. If you have a Coyote or Great Basin I'd welcome your feedback. And photos are always appreciated.

I've seen positive reviews for other bikes, but was wondering how either bag would work specifically with a XT250.

Thanks,
SprocketTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #144
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyfromtexas View Post

Thanks,
Check this thread out.
And this one too.
I have the coyote and it's great.

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut

USAIR screwed with this post 04-12-2011 at 09:37 AM
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #145
troyfromtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Thanks for the feedback. Still wondering if anyone has tried the Great Basin on an xt250. If so, is it too big?

www.theadventurebegins.tv
2011 Suzuki DR650
troyfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:12 AM   #146
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,125
While I have not tried either one on the XT, I is/was planning on getting one eventually. I know a few guys with the Great Basin, and doing a side-by-side comparison on their bikes (namely KLR650s) we all thought it would fit perfectly fine on the XT250. The way the straps work allows you to cinch down the unload space, so you might not won't to completely fill it, but could if needed.

The plan was to be able to move it over to a bigger bike if wanted and only buy one, not both sizes. I might just get the Coyote when the time comes, not sure now.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #147
MEDIC-0372 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Nice Snow picture...and welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post

The life we save may be your's...
MEDIC-0372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #148
zzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
[QUOTE=MEDIC-0372;12013320]Here is a Road Trip that I did with my Yamaha XT-250

Trip…to explore the Wayne National Forest.

From Sandusky Ohio to Marietta Ohio.

Side trip to West Virginia. (No picture on this report but the riding was great…very rough trails and access roads up and down through the mountains)

780 miles traveled in three days on a Yamaha XT-250.

The Hills Bridge built in 1878…

MEDIC: Thanks for great pictures of the Ohio countryside and bridges. I just found your post and it brought back fond memories. My last USAF assignment was at Wright Patterson AFB from 2003-2007. I loved riding my KLR 650 on those backroads all over Ohio. It is a beautiful state with some great riding. I used to ride south to the Ohio River and up the river on a Sunday afternoon or over to the Wayne National Forest or when I had the time all the way to the foothills of the Appalachians in eastern Ohio. I'm back home in Montana but every fall I get the urge to go back and ride those back roads--maybe this year.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #149
zzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
New seat for 2009 XT 250

Last summer I rode three days straight on my XT 250. I thought I was in need of Preparation H. So, I priced after market seats and decided to give Seat Concepts a shot. I have the seat back but haven't ridden it long days yet. But, I am happy with the work.

Robert at Seat Concepts asked to keep the seat a couple extra weeks so he could have a mold made from it. So, Seat Concepts should have the XT 2009 seat kit readily available now.

The Montana 1000 is being planned again this year in case anyone wants 6 days of dirt, gravel and trail in Montana. It has its own ADVRider thread. That may be my opportunity to try out riding multiple days on my new seat.

zzo screwed with this post 05-04-2011 at 10:00 PM
zzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #150
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzo View Post
So, Seat Concepts should have the XT 2009 seat kit readily available now.
Yep, they do, thanks for letting them mold off of you!

Here is a brief writeup and pics of mine:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post15803978