Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #706
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentnothstine View Post
From what I can tell, the US model has a tube rear tire and outside the US has a tubeless rear tire. It is still a wire wheel, but it has a lip on the inside of the wheel where the spokes hook so they don't go through the rim.

Look at this rim
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=662
Why the difference?,also,why not the front too?. You'd think a manufacturer could make some big $$$ here in the U.S. having these for various bikes?.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #707
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Cheers guys

Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #708
FLYNLOMOTO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
LarryGee thanks for the old school break down.

Hey Cameraman, Seriously! It's a dirt bike, throw her on the ground a few times and kick some mud in her face she'll love it, trust me! That red head is too damn pretty

Take some photos then ride it like you stole it!
Hong Kong
FLYNLOMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #709
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Flynlomoto,

red heads deserve a bit of TLC, rather than razzing the bits off 'em!

Regards

Reggie
Old 11-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #710
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Guys n Gals,

By the way what colour does your speedo glow at night?

I ask as my previous Japan spec XT250 had a green illumination, as does every XT250 that I've seen.

However there's one exception to this rule, being my latest purchase!

Here's a view on my 2005, Japan spec XT250 Serow, 20th Anniversary model!

Regards

Reggie
Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #711
Be Rad The Fish
Movin' Out.

Oddometer: 72
Out for a while

The one in my sig is in the flea market if anyone's interested.

Past: '81 Kawasaki 440LTD, '00 Suzuki Bandit 1200S, '00 Harley Davidson FLHTCI, '03 Harley Davidson FLHRCI, 2007 KLR 650, 2008 BMW GS ADV, 2011 Ducati Multistrada S Touring.
Be Rad The Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #712
FLYNLOMOTO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Mine is green

It's cool that they did a special anniversary color.
Hong Kong
FLYNLOMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #713
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Brake Pedal Extender

I find the the brake pedal on my XT to be a little too small for me to find with my clunky boots. Anyone know where I can find a serrated extended pedal that will fit?
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #714
Hans_Krugger
Rock Jock

Oddometer: 25
Bigger Aint Better - just ask my wife

I

I sold off my Yamaha Custom Star V-twin 650 and El Cheapo Chinses made Super Moto and got a Yamaha XT250 - new off the show room floor...a 2009 Model for $3,999! If I was any happier with it, I would have to be put in a straight jacket. I live here among the cows pastures, pig farms, cornfields, shopping malls and over-fed yuppies in the land of Ohio. My XT is the perfect machine for this country - yea...most of the time I am either riding old rail lines or hauling it to South East Ohio (Appalachia) to ride in the Wayne National Forest... its not Utah...but its better than NYC for riding.

I am an old Rider...started in the late 60s when my father gave me a Suzuki 50CC road bike. So I have some idea of whats good and whats just hype. The XT 250 is a solid bit of work. I passionately recommend it if your not a really big person. I tip the scales at 155 pounds and the XT 250 is more than enough to haul around me, my gear and my mistress. I would take my wife but shes too fat. Oh yea..its light enough that I can pick it up when I dump it in the middle of no-where when I am alone.
Hans_Krugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #715
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,209
Did you move that rock out of the way?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #716
MEDIC-0372 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifles View Post
This has probably been answered before, but I'm running some Perelli mt90s on my 08 and I'm wondering what kind of tire pressure I should be using? I'm a 135lb midget in gear and carrying no other weight. Think 32/36 is high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDIC-0372 View Post
I run mine at 32psi front and 34psi rear for road use. Anything lower you may overheat the tires...not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Once upon a time, I believed this completely. I was buying tires for my Ford Ranger and asked them to use the higher inflation pressures and I was ready to go to war with the guy when he suggested lower pressures.

But when he said "This same tire and size, is used on many different vehicles, from my Ranger and up, including Suburbans and fill size trucks. You really should use the tire pressures the vehicle manufacturer recommends."

Me: "Oh." Even old dogs can learn new tricks.

That 140 size tire is used on bikes up to the BMW GS12 and it's larger that the 120 stocker on my 366 pound DR650 (22 front, 25 rear) on the street.

And: YMMV

Edit:

Sorry, this is not true, see above. Use what Yamaha says.
Sorry but it is very true...if you do some research you will fine that 30 to 36 psi is what is recomemeded by many people for that sized bike on a tire that is more of a road type tire. Remember the XT-250 manual is for the stock tire being used off road.

There is a ton of info out there on tire psi. Look for some of the BMW research and some of the stuff put out by the Ohio State Police regarding running on the road with too low tire psi. Look at some of the info / research on tire wear and heat build up and blow outs as related to low psi while on the road.

Please...don't be so quick to state that something or someone elses statements are not true.

Here is some info on tire psi for road use to start you thinking...(from various sources)

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

For 250 cc motocyles. Look at the sidewall of both tires. There will be a "MAX PSI" embossed on the tire. It will probably say Max 45 PSI. At 45psi the bike will ride like a rock. At 15psi it will ride really squirrely. Find a psi at which you feel the bike handles well and rides well. One rider may weigh 125 pounds and the next rider may weigh 300 pounds. The best psi for each rider will be different due to weight. Chances are that 30 to 35 psi will do the trick.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
Tire pressure for 250 cc street bike

Finding that magic number...

Sorry, but we're not going to give you a number. We're giving you two.
There are so many variables when it comes to tire pressure that the only person who can determine your correct pressure is you. There are some general guidelines, though.
In general, there's a lower limit of about 26-28 psi, below which you shouldn't go (it invites the tire to pop off the rim) and the upper limit of whatever the tire says is its max pressure. Somewhere between those two is your best tire pressure.

A little theory

Generally speaking, more pressure gives you less grip, and less pressure gives you better grip. But you can go too low, and then the tires overheat and get greasy and slick. Also, the more weight you have on the bike, the higher your air pressure should be. Underinflated tires will become hot and dangerous quickly.

Recommendations

It's recommended that you start high and work your way down. With higher pressures, you may lose traction, but it's progressive and easy to back off. Go too low and they can/will get greasy quickly, and it's hard to hold a corner when they're like that.
Your goal will be to have about a 10% difference between hot and cold pressure. More change than that and you'll need to add some air. This is a trial-and-error scenario - just keep adjusting until you're happy.
Most people say you want lower pressure on the front than on the back, due to the fact that there is more weight in the rear. How much is a matter of debate. Most people in the club run about 3-5 psi higher in the rear.
Tires heat up as the tread rolls onto and off the ground because of flex. Heat (gradually) kills tires, so you want to make sure the air pressure is high enough to keep them from getting terribly warm. You can check that by putting your hand on the tire tread right as you park after a ride. If the treads are hot, particularly at the edges, you need more pressure. If they're warm, you're doing it about right. If they're cold (about the temperature of the air) you could safely use less pressure.
Some people find that running higher than the 28/32 recommended by the bikes manual helps avoid problems with cheese-grater bridges, pavement snakes, and other road surface abnormalities.

So, just give me a number, OK?

Here goes: The lowest pressure you should use is what's recommended by Kawasaki for the EX250. That is 28 front and 32 rear. The highest you should ever use is the maximum that is stamped on the sidewall of your tire. If you're fully loaded, or riding with two people, see the section below.
In order to satisfy their lawyers, most tire companies will only tell you to consult your bike owner's manual. And while we're on the legal end of things, remember that the number on the tire is the maximum that you can put in, and not the recommended amount.

For a standard rider and gear, you will probably want to start a couple psi below the max value. If you want more traction, lower your pressure a couple psi and go riding again. Keep in mind the heat/temperature guidelines already discussed.

Ride with different pressures and see which ones make you more comfortable.

These recommendations are not tire-specific. Keep in mind that some tires work differently at different pressures. If you are trying a new kind of tire, you may want to experiment a little and see what works best for them.
The best recommendation we can give is to find the pressures that work for you and then check them several times a week. Once a month doesn't cut it.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

From the Dunlop website: For touring motorcycle loading, follow these general guidelines:
Light loads: single rider with some luggage (up to 200 lb. total) - minimum tire pressure of 32 psi front and 36 psi rear must be maintained.
Heavier loads: dual riding and/or luggage (from 200 lb. total up to maximum motorcycle capacity stated in the owner's manual) - pressure of 36 psi front and 40 psi rear must be maintained.
Please Note: For any dual riding or fully loaded use, 40 psi must be maintained in all Dunlop rear tires fitted to touring motorcycles.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Question about 250 cc motocycle and street use...
Answer: 28/32 is a good starting point.
Higher pressure will make the tire last longer, but may take longer to get up to a good working temperature. Lower pressure will have the opposite effect because the tire will "squirm" more, heat up quicker but work harder, so it will have a shorter life. Lower pressure can mean the tire will be slightly less effective in the wet, because the channels will be closed a little.

The life we save may be your's...

MEDIC-0372 screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 07:50 PM
MEDIC-0372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #717
mwalker
mike

Oddometer: 75
can I knock off twenty lbs?

can I knock off twenty lbs? Maybe not me although I could use it.....talking about the 09 - 2012 XT250.....

Did you put your XT on a diet? What did you do and what is your money to weight ratio?

Is anyone ever going to make a large gas tank for this model???....still waiting....
mwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #718
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_Krugger View Post
I

At least you got the first parking lot ding out of the way!
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #719
sethro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Just to let you guys have first shot at it I have a 2011 XT250 with lts of extras coming to the flea market section soon. Has a ton of goodies done to it.

Sethro

Flagstaff AZ 928-600-6768
www.tecrehab.com
sethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #720
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Nice looking bike, i had those same upgrades on mine as well, and a few more

took me a whole day and a half to sell mine, GLWS, what are you asking for it? miles?