ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #916
CajunE
sportsman
 
CajunE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: North Augusta, SC
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
Re: jetting for Colorado.

I live at 7700 ft and ride up to about 10k regularly. I jetted the main down 2 sizes from stock, which is a 135 IIRC, so that means I have a 130. My local yamaha dealer had jets. Plus I flip the air filter cover to flow more air. My plug is still a little black. I can feel a big difference between having having the airbox open and closed even with the 130 jet. BTW, I have stock exhaust. If you try to ride at 10-12k with a 140 you will run terribly rich. You could probably get away with it if you just open up the airbox by flipping the cover, but you will lack any kind of top end on the highway. If you have a pipe you will want to be a little richer than me of course.

I assume you have richened your pilot too. That's easy enough to adjust. I have stock pilot jet with screw at 2 turns. It starts easy. Or at the very least you could just bump your idle speed up to compensate for the rich idle as you gain elevation. It will probably not want to idle at all the way you are set up now. -al
Hey man, thanks for the info. What I have done to my bike was changed the main jet to 140, i didn't touch the pilot, i did the z1 mod, made my own aftermarket air filter, took the filter cap off and turned my fuel screw three turns. That is how I currently sit. Oh yeah, i shimmed the needle to allow more fuel. So you say to go down 2 steps from the stock jet, is that not 125 jet? Or is there like a 133 jet needle that is between 135 and 130? Just clarifying before i open this pain in my neck. Lol. Thanks for your response.
CajunE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #917
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Wasatch county
Oddometer: 619
They go 135, 132, 130 etc.

If you are jetting for 10k and don't plan on riding a lot lower than that, and then putting it all back after the trip, you could go even leaner. I did what I did as a compromise since I ride from 4-10k, and even lower occasionally. I would also remove the needle shim. I could go down another size easily around here if I didn't ride in southern UT which is around 4k.

When I first bought this bike I rode for a while before rejetting. It was a dog. The plug fouled horribly, to the point that I could barely maintain speed in 4th gear. If I got anywhere near WOT it would surge and stumble it was so rich. And that wasn't at 12k feet elevation.

Here are the yamaha part numbers:
130 is 288-14343-65-00
128 is 288-14343-64-00

The yamaha dealership where I bought the bike is in Heber City at about 6000ft elev and they said their standard setup is to install a 130 main jet.

Your air cleaner may lean things out enough to count for a jet size. I use the stock paper filter.

Have fun. Are you going to RMAR? Al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #918
CajunE
sportsman
 
CajunE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: North Augusta, SC
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
They go 135, 132, 130 etc.

If you are jetting for 10k and don't plan on riding a lot lower than that, and then putting it all back after the trip, you could go even leaner. I did what I did as a compromise since I ride from 4-10k, and even lower occasionally. I would also remove the needle shim. I could go down another size easily around here if I didn't ride in southern UT which is around 4k.

When I first bought this bike I rode for a while before rejetting. It was a dog. The plug fouled horribly, to the point that I could barely maintain speed in 4th gear. If I got anywhere near WOT it would surge and stumble it was so rich. And that wasn't at 12k feet elevation.

Here are the yamaha part numbers:
130 is 288-14343-65-00
128 is 288-14343-64-00

The yamaha dealership where I bought the bike is in Heber City at about 6000ft elev and they said their standard setup is to install a 130 main jet.

Your air cleaner may lean things out enough to count for a jet size. I use the stock paper filter.

Have fun. Are you going to RMAR? Al
Thanks a lot Al. I will be changing back to the higher jet when I get back to South Carolina. The higher jetting works well in my neck of the woods. You asked if I was going to RMAR, where is that? Or what does it stand for? We are going to Silverton, Co. And doing several loops for 5 days. Enlighten me of your question. Thanks again about the part #s and information
CajunE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #919
sharpy
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: wollongong nsw australia
Oddometer: 1
Question clutch starting 2010 xt250

Hi guys, this is my first post on this site so i hope i'm doing it right. I have a 1980 xt 250 which is still going strong and I recently got a 2010 Xt250 as a run out model before the FI ones. I was wondering if they clutch start all right with a dead flat battery as I miss the security of the old kick starter. I will try and put up some photos, if I can figure it out, of my favourite rides down and around the southcoast from wollongong nsw.
sharpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #920
sandalscout
blah blah blah
 
sandalscout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpy View Post
Hi guys, this is my first post on this site so i hope i'm doing it right. I have a 1980 xt 250 which is still going strong and I recently got a 2010 Xt250 as a run out model before the FI ones. I was wondering if they clutch start all right with a dead flat battery as I miss the security of the old kick starter. I will try and put up some photos, if I can figure it out, of my favourite rides down and around the southcoast from wollongong nsw.
Yep, at least on the pre-FI models. I killed the battery on my 2009 and had no problem push starting it.
__________________
My KLR650 - Not quite so ugly now
Matt's Trippin' in Peru
sandalscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #921
CajunE
sportsman
 
CajunE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: North Augusta, SC
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Yep, at least on the pre-FI models. I killed the battery on my 2009 and had no problem push starting it.
yeah they will push start. Harder to do when it is cold unless you have a big hill to go down. I jumped mine twice with jumper cables and it never ruined the battery. Eventually I went to Walmart and bought a battery tender for $19. It comes with a pig tail that you connect to your battery and when you are done just snap the charger cable to the pig tail and it keeps it charged without having to take the plastic off.
CajunE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #922
enduro360son
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 4
Here is a shot of a semi-dirty 2013.



And one next to my Dad's old ride!

enduro360son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #923
dynex619
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Oddometer: 17

here is a video of my tracking the new 2013 XT250, I have been covering a lot of video on this bike. Waiting on my FMF Powercore 4 to come as well as my 51T rear sprocket.

idk why the video isn't showing up here is a direct link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET5fWCZIxAc
dynex619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #924
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Wasatch county
Oddometer: 619
Sorry Cajun I guess I lost this thread for a while. RMAR is a rally in Silverton the last weekend of July. That's why I thought you might be going. There's a thread in the rallies forum. -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #925
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynex619 View Post
here is a video of my tracking the new 2013 XT250, I have been covering a lot of video on this bike. Waiting on my FMF Powercore 4 to come as well as my 51T rear sprocket.
That's a great place to find the limitation of the XT. It's no dirt bike that's for sure. Tires and suspension suck for keeping up with the dirt bikes. But it's all a trade off when you're talking dual sports.
__________________
Yellow 2006 Suzuki DR650
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #926
CajunE
sportsman
 
CajunE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: North Augusta, SC
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
Sorry Cajun I guess I lost this thread for a while. RMAR is a rally in Silverton the last weekend of July. That's why I thought you might be going. There's a thread in the rallies forum. -al
No problem Al. Thanks for the clarification. No I am not going there. Just going with a couple of friends that have been wanting to ride in Colorado. We are essentially going to do this ride that was on the ride report forum:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612677


pretty cool looking ride. check it out
CajunE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #927
Zojirushi
Surly Sailor
 
Zojirushi's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: El Paso Del Norte
Oddometer: 99
Hola, mis amigos. I am happy to be able to join this thread. It seems XT250s fly under the radar compared to most other dual sports (both on this forum and for aftermarket support). Regardless, I am having a blast with mine so far. Having owned numerous other ADV bikes, I can say I am excited to slow down and enjoy my time offroad on a small bike. Pictures and ride reports to come!

Zojirushi screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 05:13 PM
Zojirushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #928
dynex619
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's KLR View Post
That's a great place to find the limitation of the XT. It's no dirt bike that's for sure. Tires and suspension suck for keeping up with the dirt bikes. But it's all a trade off when you're talking dual sports.
Yeah I know, I womder if we can fork swap?
dynex619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #929
GEORGE K
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Gig Harbor, Wa.
Oddometer: 45
Main jet change question

Has anyone changed the main jet with carb left on the bike and just removing the float bowl for access?

How tough is it to pull the carb off and should I disconnect/remove AI while I am at it? I have a 140 main to install to complement my FMF Power Core 4 muffler.

OBTW I finally removed the Ching Shen El Crappo tires from my 08 bike and put on some new Avon Distanzias since I ride mostly surfaced roads and very little off road. I love the way it now handles!
GEORGE K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #930
150ron
Beastly Adventurer
 
150ron's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Valencia, ca
Oddometer: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE K View Post
Has anyone changed the main jet with carb left on the bike and just removing the float bowl for access?

How tough is it to pull the carb off and should I disconnect/remove AI while I am at it? I have a 140 main to install to complement my FMF Power Core 4 muffler.

OBTW I finally removed the Ching Shen El Crappo tires from my 08 bike and put on some new Avon Distanzias since I ride mostly surfaced roads and very little off road. I love the way it now handles!
You will need to remove the carb, very easy on that bike, the 140 jet will be good, raise the jet needle a bit while you have the carb off the bike, and remove the brass plug on the air/fuel screw and turn that screw out 3 turns, take the cover off that air filter, and you will see how much better the bike runs, will pull much stronger, and not to mention start much easier and faster too.
__________________
Just some dude...
150ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014