Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #931
ssregal39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zojirushi View Post
Hola, mis amigos. I am happy to be able to join this thread. It seems XT250s fly under the radar compared to most other dual sports (both on this forum and for aftermarket support). Regardless, I am having a blast with mine so far. Having owned numerous other ADV bikes, I can say I am excited to slow down and enjoy my time offroad on a small bike. Pictures and ride reports to come!
What did you used to ride and how tall are you?
Old 05-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #932
Hans_Krugger
Rock Jock

Oddometer: 25
Abandoned Rail lines

As a bit of a newbie, I likely am stating the obvious here - but I have found abandoned rail lines to be a gas to explore. I live in northwest Columbus, Ohio (actually its Upper Arlington..more accurately "Up-Yours Arlington"). Here in the land of cornfields, pig farms and over-built shopping malls there are not a lot of off road riding opportunities. The state forests are a long ways off - and crowded with wild-eyed, Komikaze types who ainít afraid to die - and take you with them. Abandoned rail lines offer an interesting alternative.
You can spot many of the abandoned rail lines on Ohio Gazatteers (or what ever state you live in) as they are marked as "Abandoned". They also show up on Google Earth if you know what to look for - such as long, linear features. After the railroads pull up the tracks, many segments of old line become very over grown - and its tough going. I carry a machete most of the time for getting past things to big to right over. The other fun challenge is that the some sections get sold to local farmers who use them as private roadways - and frequently they donít like strangers on them. Its a gas to out run a combine. Other times, segments are purchases by guys who dig up all the old ballast to sell it. This makes from some rough ground to ride over.
The best part is trying to force passage over long distances. On one section I have managed to make about 20 miles. Sometimes segments have been converted to "Rails-to-Trails" and cycles arenít welcome.
As for scenery - its an interesting view that you dont see from the road. Often times an old rail line will give you access to abandoned farm houses and barns that you would not other wise have and...riding over the old rail bridges can be a bit dicey - They are always higher than they look.
Its not high adventure or wilderness, but its accessible. The local sheriff, angry land owners with shotguns and high, narrow bridges with rotten ties provide the excitment.
For what its worth
HK
Hans_Krugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #933
GEORGE K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Air Injection removal question. 2008 XT250

Good idea or bad idea? It seems to only add to the complexity and weight of an otherwise simple bike. Has anyone out there done it? If so what is needed to cap off and stow things?

Thanks.
GEORGE K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #934
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Hey guys, just got a 2013. Went in to look at the crf250l, they were out and backordered for months, but they had many XT's. I liked the lower seat, the fuel injection, and the 30 pounds lighter then the crf so i told them if they could match the crfs price I would buy one today. They matched it, so I did!

Really looking forward to putting some miles on it. Planning on a skid plate (prolly making it myself) and some hand guards right off the bat. Do these bikes need anything else?

I know they added FI, but will all body parts from 2008 + fit on a 2013?

Any other protection needed? Basically anything you can tell me is helpful, since its all new to me. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #935
ssregal39
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjmay View Post
Hey guys, just got a 2013. Went in to look at the crf250l, they were out and backordered for months, but they had many XT's. I liked the lower seat, the fuel injection, and the 30 pounds lighter then the crf so i told them if they could match the crfs price I would buy one today. They matched it, so I did!

Really looking forward to putting some miles on it. Planning on a skid plate (prolly making it myself) and some hand guards right off the bat. Do these bikes need anything else?

Any other protection needed? Basically anything you can tell me is helpful, since its all new to me. Thanks!
just curious how tall you are and what type of riding will you be doing?
Old 05-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #936
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,088
Not sure about the XT, but the system on my TU 250 is simple and light, and causes no problems, so I left it on.
I plugged it up as a test and the bike ran the same, so I left it.
On the TU, it only works at idle.
Removing it would trigger a fault code, although you could put a resistor in place of the solinoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE K View Post
Good idea or bad idea? It seems to only add to the complexity and weight of an otherwise simple bike. Has anyone out there done it? If so what is needed to cap off and stow things?

Thanks.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #937
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

5'10", dirt road, light trail, some state forest single track. I have my sidecar rigs for on the road and some dirt road riding too. Why do you ask?
Old 05-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #938
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,088
I need a dual sport bike, and dislike modern water cooled bikes, no matter how great they are.
I think the XT is the last air cooled 250 dual sport, no?

I had an older XT, and it was a good bike, but a bit slow, even for a 250.

Parts for old bikes are a problem, so if I ever get any money, i might spring for an XT and put knobbies on it.
The dirt is 5 miles from my house, and i can do anything there as long as the bike has a tag.

How much oil does the engine hold?
I see they now have a plated bore, so they should run cool and use no oil...
The weight looks good, the suspension likely needs some fine tuning, but I like lower bikes and do not need 14 inches of suspension travel, that takes all the fun out of riding fast in the rough stuff.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #939
ssregal39
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
5'10", dirt road, light trail, some state forest single track. I have my sidecar rigs for on the road and some dirt road riding too. Why do you ask?
have an xr650l and am also 5 10. I like the XR but is almost too easy to ride and am looking to maybe downsize. I'm a pretty aggressive rider though.
the old saying ride a slow bike fast (the xr isn't fast) a challenge
Old 05-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #940
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

I had a klr for years, and still have a v strom, and used to ride those in the dirt. Just got tired of the weight....so much weight so high up. Weight was one of my main factors, which helped me choose this over the crf250l. Definitely wanted a sub 300lb bike wet weight.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #941
ssregal39
Gnarly Adventurer

cool sounds like we're looking at similar terms. lighter is my #1.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #942
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:

That's all it really needs. I found that a set of bar risers helps when standing, but you'll need to fit it for your needs. The body parts are all the same on the newer model 250's.

check out www.xt225.com. They also discuss the 250. Loads of info.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #943
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I need a dual sport bike, and dislike modern water cooled bikes, no matter how great they are.

I had an older XT, and it was a good bike, but a bit slow, even for a 250.

Parts for old bikes are a problem, so if I ever get any money, i might spring for an XT and put knobbies on it.
The dirt is 5 miles from my house, and i can do anything there as long as the bike has a tag.

How much oil does the engine hold?
I see they now have a plated bore, so they should run cool and use no oil...
The weight looks good, the suspension likely needs some fine tuning, but I like lower bikes and do not need 14 inches of suspension travel, that takes all the fun out of riding fast in the rough stuff.
From the manual: Without oil filter element replacement:
1.20 L (1.27 US qt) (1.06 Imp.qt) 5 With oil filter element replacement:
Make sure that the O-rings are properly seated.
1.30 L (1.37 US qt) (1.14 Imp.qt)

I looked around and I didn't find any other modern 250's that are air cooled, so you may be right. I don't want the extra potential busted stuff either.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #944
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE K View Post

Thanks.
I removed mine, was around 5+ pounds, and it cleaned up the bike a lot imo, made starting it a bit easier too, ran fine, dont remember if it was better with it off.

Quote:

Congrats, wow, that is a good deal you got, they knocked off lots of $

all body parts will fit, yes, get a skid plate, and hand guards, if you do lots of dirt , get a rear brake cylinder guard too, change the oil every 1k miles, and that is all they need, keep the air filter clean too.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #945
Alacrity
Semi Pro Bar Vaulter

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post

The only other air cooled DS 250 I think is worth mentioning that's been offered in the US, but only as a trail bike, is the TT-R250. Its factory DS in other markets, and still being offered in OZ - so OEM parts are not an issue. Aftermarket is decent as well. Many parts are interchangeable with the XT.

Downside - you need to convert the bike to a DS (very easy) - if your state allows. Plenty of info on how to do it. Upside, you can find them near pristine for $1500 - DS kit, DS tires and uncork, you end up quite a capable bike for a good deal less than a used stock XT.

I own both (along with the plated DRZE in the photo). XTs a great uncomplicated bike. Cheap parts, low maintenance, durable, modestly upgradable. Same goes for the TTR. But the TTR is significantly better offroad (suspension, power, transmission, lighter), handles the road similarly (stock both have similar top speeds, TTR has noticeably more power) and in general it has all the characteristics of the XT - no rad, tractor powerband, lacks MX ergos. Seat is 36" - seat to pegs is a bit more roomy - but CG feels low and balances well - like the XT.

Worth consideration if you don't require a factory fresh bike. XT gets used quite a bit still, it's a great bike - sucks the TTR was never offered as a DS here.

Alacrity screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 02:49 PM
Alacrity is offline   Reply With Quote