Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #1036
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapping Lad View Post
Well $hit, I already ordered one. I guess I'll have to try for myself.

So 4th gear will be the new 3rd?
No, 4th gear will be the new 5th, with balls tho
Old 06-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #1037
jegarh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
16t jack shaft sprocket

I went to a 14t front and the stock 48t rear and ended up going to a 15t front and a 55t rear. With D606's it will hall my fat ass up anything I point it at.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #1038
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,351
I looked at an XT250 today and was quite impressed with the seat height and the ergos. Mrs. Stain was quite impressed with the bike too.

I've looked into luggage racks and stuff and found some items that will work for my soft bags. What I can't find an answer on is if there is a larger fuel tank from either IMS or Acerbis that will work on a 2013 XT250?

If someone can give me an answer, that would be great.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #1039
GEORGE K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
55 tooth rear sprocket questions

Where did you get the sprocket and did you have to add links to the chain? Is first gear really slow now and good for tight rough terrain? How about can you loft the front wheel now for going over small logs when in second gear?

Thanks.
GEORGE K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #1040
Hans_Krugger
Rock Jock

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapping Lad View Post
If they are the original crap Chinese tires, I would say they are the culprit.

On my last bike I put on a set on Conti tail attacks. The rear cost more than double of the front ($187 I think) and was made in Germany. It required no weights to balance on the wheel. The front wheel (Around $80) was made in Korea and required more weights than I even thought could fit on a wheel to keep it in balance. A good set of tires will make all the difference!

Thanks! this is helpful
Hans_Krugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #1041
Hans_Krugger
Rock Jock

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
Yes - knobies can produce a "wobble" on the XT250. What kind of tires came on the bike? If they are Chen Sh** then I felt a pronounced wobble. I now have Pirelli Rally Cross tires, and they feel much more stable on the road.

However, I was getting a shimmy on the front at speed (about 70 mph) - which was a different problem.

I appreciate your insight. Its tough to sort this kind of stuff out on your own.
Hans_Krugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #1042
Jon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
I picked up a sub-1000 mile 2009 XT last week and finally got to take it for a spin tonight. The previous owner did quite a few mods (rejet, modded air box, stiffer rear spring, FMF pipe, etc) and the bike runs great but perhaps a bit rich. I technically bought the XT for my girlfriend since she is taking her MSF course next weekend but also plan on riding it occasionally. My first impression is that the XT is very nimble, well balanced, and has sufficient around town power. I think we'll both enjoy this bike.

Now for the good stuff.

Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #1043
Strapping Lad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
What I can't find an answer on is if there is a larger fuel tank from either IMS or Acerbis that will work on a 2013 XT250?

If someone can give me an answer, that would be great.
I asked IMS, Clarke, and Acerbis directly and they don't have plans to make them unless we all start bugging them. Even if they did decide to make a tank, it would probably be close to a year before it was ready for customers. That said, I hit 140 miles before my reserve light came on last fill up and still had over a half gallon left. It only took 1.8 gallons to fill.
Strapping Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 AM   #1044
jegarh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE K View Post
Where did you get the sprocket and did you have to add links to the chain? Is first gear really slow now and good for tight rough terrain? How about can you loft the front wheel now for going over small logs when in second gear?

Thanks.
I surfed "rear sprockets" looking for a 51t to use with the 14t and the only one I found was made out of aluminum. I wanted steel. 55t was the closest I could find so I combined it with the 15t and it was a good combo. I also replaced the chain with a longer one. I'm sure a better rider than me could loft the front wheel. Low is good for tight, rough terrain. I tend to control speed on a rocky, loose climb with the gas on and feathering the clutch.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:54 AM   #1045
PaulD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #1046
PaulD
Adventurer

Old 06-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #1047
sbmorgan21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I like the bike! Is that a paint job or a skin?
sbmorgan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #1048
Strapping Lad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmorgan21 View Post
I like the bike! Is that a paint job or a skin?
X2 Really cool!
Strapping Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #1049
PaulD
Adventurer

Skins

They are Skins or Aboriginal Art.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #1050
jeffjcalweb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Pissed where is my bike? in the middle of the moth..fi..$!!$% forest

so ...today was not a good day. i have (maybe had....) a 2013 XT250. I was riding in the Foresthill OHV trails this morning...only a couple miles in, going up a hill, bike loses all power to rear wheel. Engine runs fine, chain is intact, did not break or come loose. Rev throttle, just no power at all to rear wheel. Then even if the bike is in gear, i can let the clutch release out and nothing happens...bike does not stall, engine stays running. i can even move (roll) the bike in gear. No warning lights on dash, when I put it in neutral dash indicator lights up "N".

So yea..that meant I had to f'ing hike out of the trails back to staging area...bike is still in Foresthill, it was not possible to roll it out, believe me i f'ing tried. I am well and truly f'd right now and don't even know what to do next. Call to dealer was a basically "sucks, if you can get the bike to us we'll check it out". Not that I expect them to solve this for me but god damn... I did leave a report with US Forest Service and I have GPS coordinates to where bike was left. If it disappears overnight I'll just take the insurance claim route I guess.

Anyway I'm beyond tired, sore and frustrated and I suppose mildly embarrassed as I'm sure whatever happened is my own fault....although I swear I was riding very midly (I'm still very new) and I had taken several breaks prior to this happening, for me and the bike to cool down some.

Oh yea and if are really motivated and want to beat me to the bike, have at it, at this point it is going to be traded in at the dealer or sold anyway.

I don't know what the point of this post is other than perhaps to vent and maybe someone can offer a better diagnosis to what happened.
jeffjcalweb is offline   Reply With Quote