Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #1051
ssregal39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
[QUOTE=jeffjcalweb;21646353]so ...today was not a good day. i have (maybe had....) a 2013 XT250. I was riding in the Foresthill OHV trails this morning...only a couple miles in, going up a hill, bike loses all power to rear wheel. Engine runs fine, chain is intact, did not break or come loose. Rev throttle, just no power at all to rear wheel. Then even if the bike is in gear, i can let the clutch release out and nothing happens...bike does not stall, engine stays running. i can even move (roll) the bike in gear. No warning lights on dash, when I put it in neutral dash indicator lights up "N".

after that happened did the bike still "clunk" in to gear or nothing?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #1052
jeffjcalweb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
yes you can still feel/hear the bike go into gear.
jeffjcalweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:28 AM   #1053
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjcalweb View Post
so ...today was not a good day. i have (maybe had....) a 2013 XT250. I was riding in the Foresthill OHV trails this morning...only a couple miles in, going up a hill, bike loses all power to rear wheel. Engine runs fine, chain is intact, did not break or come loose. Rev throttle, just no power at all to rear wheel. Then even if the bike is in gear, i can let the clutch release out and nothing happens...bike does not stall, engine stays running. i can even move (roll) the bike in gear. No warning lights on dash, when I put it in neutral dash indicator lights up "N".

So yea..that meant I had to f'ing hike out of the trails back to staging area...bike is still in Foresthill, it was not possible to roll it out, believe me i f'ing tried. I am well and truly f'd right now and don't even know what to do next. Call to dealer was a basically "sucks, if you can get the bike to us we'll check it out". Not that I expect them to solve this for me but god damn... I did leave a report with US Forest Service and I have GPS coordinates to where bike was left. If it disappears overnight I'll just take the insurance claim route I guess.

Anyway I'm beyond tired, sore and frustrated and I suppose mildly embarrassed as I'm sure whatever happened is my own fault....although I swear I was riding very midly (I'm still very new) and I had taken several breaks prior to this happening, for me and the bike to cool down some.

Oh yea and if are really motivated and want to beat me to the bike, have at it, at this point it is going to be traded in at the dealer or sold anyway.

I don't know what the point of this post is other than perhaps to vent and maybe someone can offer a better diagnosis to what happened.

Have you posted over on xt225.com? Lots of XT wrenches there...

Good luck, and let us know how this turns out.

Sarah
Old 06-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #1054
ssregal39
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, if it is going into gear and clutch is engaging as in, not hung open, there's only a few things it could be. A) the nut came off the countershaft spocket B) the woodruff key under the crank driven gear on the clutch side sheared C) the gear on the back of the clutch basket is spinning D) dogs are broken off trans gears.
All of these are very unlikely on a new bike. Get it to the dealer when you get it home.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #1055
jeffjcalweb
Adventurer

so got to dealer and right off the bat, "clutch wear is not a warrantable item, just like brakes and tires"... wtf, again bike has 500 miles and i am a very mild rider. basic premise is clutch plates overheated (?) and while the clutch aduster nut can be loosened, i guess its at its limit and still would have some slight 'clutch drag'. i don't know if i'm phrasing all the correctly but that seems to be what i was told.

the service rep also dropped the line "the XT250 needs to be regeared if you are going to ride any trails, its really only geared for street and fire access/gravel" ... i was riding a 'easy' trail in Foresthill OHV with several stops along the way. I had a longer, much more strenous ride in Stanisluas Forest with no problems about a month back...

i'm pretty damn frustrated right now. dealer is quoting me about $290 to replace. or i can keep the way it is but now what comfort/confidence would i have knowing what i've been told? well the answer there is "none". so what's the deal?
Old 06-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #1056
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,712
Jeff:
Jump over to your profile and fill in your location: state or country, maybe there's a local that can give you an educated second opinion. My bike has never been back to the dealer because I don't trust them (it's not an XT, but I want one).

Unless you've had mechanical issues all your life because you're brutal on equipment, I don't see any way you could have murdered the clutch in the riding you describe.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #1057
Dualsport Chic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Jeff:
Jump over to your profile and fill in your location: state or country, maybe there's a local that can give you an educated second opinion. My bike has never been back to the dealer because I don't trust them (it's not an XT, but I want one).

Unless you've had mechanical issues all your life because you're brutal on equipment, I don't see any way you could have murdered the clutch in the riding you describe.
I've got nearly 18K of HARD off-road riding on my '08 XT250 and never an problem with the clutch - so if anything, this is a very isolated issue. Jeff - Have you ever worn out a clutch before? Some folks have a tendency to hang on the clutch a little too long causing excess wear. If not, it just may be a freak thing.

Try not to be so hard on the bike when this is something that is not a known issue of the model - no sense adding bad karma on top of the situation for the bike. $300 is not a big deal either. If you have issues after this - that's the time to start getting upset.

Good luck with the fix and please keep us posted.

Carpe Diem
Dualsport Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #1058
ssregal39
Gnarly Adventurer

Had to have been misadjusted at the lever. If there was no play at the lever at all, it will cause the clutch to slip as it gets hot being partially disengaged.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #1059
Jetstreamer
Sandlapper Brapper

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmorgan21 View Post
Have you had any issues with the IMMIX rear rack? I broke the first one with no more than 16lbs on it. The company was very shocked and sent my pictures to the engineers. They were very helpful and sent me a replacement. I broke that one the same day it came in as well. No more than 16lbs, and my tires never left the ground either time...
Yep the exact same thing happened to me.

2009 XT250
Jetstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #1060
jeffjcalweb
Adventurer

so at this point i have a couple of options that i'm weighing:

- do nothing with any clutch repair. the bike goes into gear, it is operational. there is very minor drag and no further adjustment can be made on the cable/nut (whatever).

- take the bike to a different shop instead of the dealer. even if the job has to be done, i'm guessing a local service shop is going to be less than a dealer, and there is a local place i've done business with. if i go this route, are there any aftermarket recommendations for clutch plates? most of my riding is going to be trail oriented and i'm in northern california, so it gets hot.

- most extreme option: trade it in for a honda crf250L... i get this is an XT250 forum but i think a lot of you have experience besides the XT :) so i'm willing to take a hit on a trade in because i have no tolerance for piss poor service on a product, and right now that's what i'm thinking. i have options for a 2013 or 2014 CRF250L...i didn't go that route initially because it being slightly taller at the seat and a smaller tank, plus a bit heaver bike (but it has a tad more HP). by all accounts though, if trail riding is going to be my focus, perhaps it is more suited than the XT? not trying to bash the XT, just want to know if i'm comprehending the specs & reviews i've come across.

oh and happy father's day to you that qualify :) thanks for the advice to the previous posters as well!
Old 06-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #1061
sbmorgan21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Weston Pass

sbmorgan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:10 AM   #1062
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,630
How about adjustment at the clutch arm down at the engine case?

Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjcalweb View Post
so at this point i have a couple of options that i'm weighing:

- do nothing with any clutch repair. the bike goes into gear, it is operational. there is very minor drag and no further adjustment can be made on the cable/nut (whatever).

- take the bike to a different shop instead of the dealer. even if the job has to be done, i'm guessing a local service shop is going to be less than a dealer, and there is a local place i've done business with. if i go this route, are there any aftermarket recommendations for clutch plates? most of my riding is going to be trail oriented and i'm in northern california, so it gets hot.

- most extreme option: trade it in for a honda crf250L... i get this is an XT250 forum but i think a lot of you have experience besides the XT :) so i'm willing to take a hit on a trade in because i have no tolerance for piss poor service on a product, and right now that's what i'm thinking. i have options for a 2013 or 2014 CRF250L...i didn't go that route initially because it being slightly taller at the seat and a smaller tank, plus a bit heaver bike (but it has a tad more HP). by all accounts though, if trail riding is going to be my focus, perhaps it is more suited than the XT? not trying to bash the XT, just want to know if i'm comprehending the specs & reviews i've come across.

oh and happy father's day to you that qualify :) thanks for the advice to the previous posters as well!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #1063
GEORGE K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Used wheel source?

Does anyone know of a good source for used wheels? I currently have new Avon Distanzias mounted for my all around use but would like to have a set with knobbies and a big rear sprocket for playing in the dirt and mud. I live in Gig Harbor, Wa. and am hoping to find a source in the northwest, but will do the shipping thing if need be. I will also consider new wheels if somebody knows a good source.
Thanks.
George
GEORGE K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #1064
MEDIC-0372 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Got out to do a little riding the other day (250 miles) ...so here are a couple more pictures from Ohio.

On the banks of the Mohican River...

Got to do some off road riding...

And here is an old Mail Pouch Tobacco barn...

The life we save may be your's...

MEDIC-0372 screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 08:17 AM
MEDIC-0372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #1065
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
MEDIC:.....do you XT250 folk have to change o-rings (oil filter cover,oil fill cap etc,valve covers etc.) often?.The reason I ask is because I have a 2009 TW200 ( bought new as a left-over in June of 2011) with less than 2000 miles on it and have had to replace various o-rings!.....never had to go through this with any Honda's I had years ago;NOT trying to start an argument here!,just wondering if this is a Yamaha constant or a fluke on my end?. Any issues with valve adjustments on the XT250?.TIA
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote