Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #1066
MEDIC-0372 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
MEDIC:.....do you XT250 folk have to change o-rings (oil filter cover,oil fill cap etc,valve covers etc.) often?.The reason I ask is because I have a 2009 TW200 ( bought new as a left-over in June of 2011) with less than 2000 miles on it and have had to replace various o-rings!.....never had to go through this with any Honda's I had years ago;NOT trying to start an argument here!,just wondering if this is a Yamaha constant or a fluke on my end?. Any issues with valve adjustments on the XT250?.TIA
It's been a long long time since I adjusted the valves. I have about 19,000 miles on my 2008 and I only changed the o-rings once or twice and that was only because I was doing what the service manual said to do. The o-rings looked fine and probably would have been fine for a long time.

The life we save may be your's...
MEDIC-0372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #1067
jeffcneal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmorgan21 View Post

Uh...where can I get prints of these?
jeffcneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #1068
FLYNLOMOTO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Nice photos! Thanks for sharing...
Hong Kong
FLYNLOMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #1069
vntgmx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Just picked up a new '13 yesterday and just got back from a 60 mile break in ride which was mostly off road. Had to go 6 miles to get to the trails and was on a 55mph road and 50-55 is ok above that you're just about tapped out in 5th. That's ok as I'm not looking to commute or do long highway runs so I'm ok as far as tarmac goes.
Off road is another story as it was just a barrel of fun. It's like riding a mini-bike thru the woods and I was laughing as I was shifting and buzzing around. I installed a Pirelli MT21 in the front and it was perfect as the front never slid and was planted even in deep sand. I'll be running the stock rear until I wear it up good as it's fun to just slide it around and isn't an issue like a slippery front would be in the sand. For an almost 300lb bike it sure feels lighter and that's probably because of the tame engine which imo makes it that much more fun! There's no surprises and it's just the little engine that could but if it's wheelies your after this ain't your ride.
Overall I couldn't be happier as it's all about fun and this little thumper delivers that in spades!
Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #1070
jeffjcalweb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
my XT is sitting in the dealer service shop with fried clutch plates. a few posts back i stated the issue. so confirmed cluth plates shot and also the springs got so hot the paint burned off them. when opening up the case the service rep said "our shop smelled like BBQ the rest of the day".

now it sits there for well over a week as replacement parts are almost non existent.

in the meanwhile i have purchased a 2013 CRF250L and plan to keep the Yamaha as well (hey who knows maybe one day my wife WILL try to take up riding!).

jeffjcalweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #1071
MEDIC-0372 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjcalweb View Post
my XT is sitting in the dealer service shop with fried clutch plates. a few posts back i stated the issue. so confirmed cluth plates shot and also the springs got so hot the paint burned off them. when opening up the case the service rep said "our shop smelled like BBQ the rest of the day".

Very sorry to hear about your situation.

The life we save may be your's...
MEDIC-0372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #1072
jna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
14T Sproket

It seems as though I read on this forum that someone found a 14T spoket for the XT 250 does anyone on here know who has these?
jna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #1073
GEORGE K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
14 tooth sprocket

I want one too if we can find out how to get one.
George
GEORGE K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #1074
Strapping Lad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Eek Fork drain bolts

So a few weeks ago I swapped the fork oil out for a heavier weight. I'm 185-190lbs and the front was just too soft for me. Anyway, I tried to remove the drain bolts from the bottom of the forks. The bolts had never been cracked loose since the bike only had about 100 miles on it at the time. When I got them to loosen up I couldn't get them to back out of the threads. They will spin and spin no matter what direction they are turned. I ended up taking the forks off the bike and draining them out from the top since it was the only solution at the time. I have not noticed any leaks from the fork bolts until today when I was going over the bike. The bolts NEED to come out so I can fix this... any ideas on how to get them out? Seems a bit tricky since the bolt is recessed into the fork. I hope the threads weren't trashed from the factory. A warranty claim for my local Yammy dealer?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Strapping Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #1075
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,913
Your damper rod is spinning with the bolt. Sometimes an air wrench can spin the bolt fast enough to back it out. The fork spring needs to be in and the fork cap on to put pressure on the damper rod. If this doesn't help, you have to hold the damper rod from the top (fork cap and spring out).

Thanks to DisTech:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=91

This isn't an XT, but he's holding the rod with his left hand, the tool with his fingers.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #1076
Strapping Lad
Adventurer

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Your damper rod is spinning with the bolt. Sometimes an air wrench can spin the bolt fast enough to back it out. The fork spring needs to be in and the fork cap on to put pressure on the damper rod. If this doesn't help, you have to hold the damper rod from the top (fork cap and spring out).
Thanks! I'll give it a go!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #1077
FLYNLOMOTO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Hey strapping lad!

Good luck and thanks for the post!

I would like to know what weight oil you changed to and how did it
effect the front end since I have been contemplating the same mod.

Thanks...
Hong Kong
FLYNLOMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #1078
rider001
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Exhaust manifold 2013 XT250

Picked up a new 2013 XT250 several weeks ago. After about 100 miles, I noticed a very tiny amount of what looked like oil seeping through the exhaust manifold onto the head. I've had many bikes over the years and whenever I get a new bike I do a visual inspection of the engine after each ride to make sure there are no leaks. Rode it another 100 miles and everything was fine; no seepage. I took it to the dealer and the chief mechanic whom I trust and have known for years said it was probably residual sealant (not oil). He sprayed a white powdery substance on the head around the exhaust manifold and told me to keep riding and visually inspect after each ride; the white power will make it easier to see if there is seepage. Everything is fine after 500 miles; no seepage. I'm curious if anyone has ever seen this condition and want any opinions on what this may have been. Everything seems ok with the bike. It runs great.
rider001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #1079
Strapping Lad
Adventurer

Fork oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNLOMOTO View Post
Hey strapping lad!

Good luck and thanks for the post!

I would like to know what weight oil you changed to and how did it
effect the front end since I have been contemplating the same mod.
Howdy! I used 20wt oil since I would be considered "heavy" at 190lbs for the suspension of this bike. It certainly makes a difference in how quickly the front will dive under braking and the speed of the fork travel when hitting bumps in the road or on dirt roads. It feels a little "slow" to react if that makes sense... I would say good for street use but may feel stiff on anything unpaved. Once I get the forks off again this weekend I'll probably go with a 15wt. It may be just right for me.

Cheers!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #1080
Strapping Lad
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider001 View Post
Picked up a new 2013 XT250 several weeks ago. After about 100 miles, I noticed a very tiny amount of what looked like oil seeping through the exhaust manifold onto the head. I've had many bikes over the years and whenever I get a new bike I do a visual inspection of the engine after each ride to make sure there are no leaks. Rode it another 100 miles and everything was fine; no seepage.
I had the exact same scenario. I cleaned off what I could and checked on it periodically. There hasn't been anymore of that burnt oil goo since and the bike now has 1500 miles on it. I first thought it was oil getting past the rings and burning with the exhaust after a couple hundred miles! I wouldn't be worried though. I just did a 1000 mile trip on the little goat and it didn't disappoint.