Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #1126
tapdiggy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
When I put a new set of tires on the bike, I went with a 4.60-18 (~116/100-18) rear instead of a stock 4.10-18 (~100/100-18. The implied aspect ratio (100) is the same, so the tire ends up enough taller at street-oriented tire pressures to affect gearing.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #1127
GEORGE K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
14T sprocket results

I got my 14T from Superior Sprockets and put it on yesterday. I am pleased with the results. I do mostly twisty back roads riding with some hills thrown in. First gear lowered to a nice strong low speed with 2,3, & 4 very strong and fun for my type of riding. 5th of course is even more capable for winding it out when I want to get somewhere fairly quickly. The speedometer is very optimistic so I need to make a run with my GPS to see how much error there is.
OBTW I have an FMF Powercore 4 exhaust, 3 turns out on the idle mix, and a new set of Avon Distanzia tires. What a fun, reliable little motorcycle!
GEORGE K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #1128
bikeneil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Happy Trails rack

Does anyone on here have the Happy Trails side racks for your XT250 ? I can get a used set of Givi E21 bags and was wondering if the racks fit well and how anyone lkes them. Thanks for any info in advance.
bikeneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #1129
skottt
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeneil View Post
Does anyone on here have the Happy Trails side racks for your XT250 ? I can get a used set of Givi E21 bags and was wondering if the racks fit well and how anyone lkes them. Thanks for any info in advance.
I have the Happy Trail SL side racks and tail rack on my 2013. I'm mostly happy with them, only had a couple of minor issues that I was able to easily solve myself.

The side racks are mounted at the top through the tail rack with 2 spacers on each side. On the left front spacer, the rails on the tail rack were too close together for the spacer to fit in between. So I had to grind down the spacer by about 1/8". Other than that they fit fine.

I also ordered the Mojave soft side luggage from them, but they didn't include the correct mounting hardware. So I emailed them and they shipped out the hardware right away. Great customer service.

I had a mounting puck on one of the side bags loosen up while I was riding some rough roads and trails and the bag fell off. After that I used blue loctite on the bolts for the lower mounting pucks and haven't had an issue since then.

They also included brackets and wiring for relocating the turn signals farther to the rear. I chose not to use them because the bags are small enough that it's not really an issue and I didn't want to cut into the factory wiring. If your bags are large enough, you might want to relocate them.
skottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #1130
BlueRidgeKat
Daily Commuter

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeneil View Post
Its not a XT but my wife put the Happy Trail racks and panniers on her KLX250SF and the fit and finish were high quality. I think Happy Trail does a good job with all their products and cannot imagine why it would not be the same on a XT. The pictures on their website of XT250's with their products attached look really good.

BlueRidgeKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:39 AM   #1131
Strapping Lad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Wink Just saw a tumbleweed blow through here...

It's been quite on this thread. Maybe everyone's bike just works so well!

Well, I just thought I'd put up and FYI for anyone looking to add a luggage rack and side bags that aren't a matching brand.

I have been using DirtBagz brackets and bags since I bought the XT. They are well made, brackets are simple and light weight. Weight savings on these bikes is always important.... The price is more sensible than any other option unless you do a home made job. Anyway, I did some research on rear rack options trying to find one that wont interfere with the DBz brackets. The IMMIX rack is the winner. The combination mounts perfectly without the need of extra spacers, bending, or cutting.

http://www.dbzproducts.com/index.htm

http://www.immixracing.com/yamaha-xt250-cargo-rack.html

IMMIX says XT racks are out of stock, maybe ask when they come in again. I picked mine on ebay "used" for $50 last week.

Sorry, no pics right now. I'll get some up tomorrow!

Also, has anyone noticed oil consumption from their XT? I've taken a couple longer trips on the bike and do my best to stay off the big highways and try not to keep the bike wide open for too long. My last trip from San Jose to Reno the bike used maybe 250ml oil. The bike only takes 1.3L... Is this just my bike using oil? The bike is a '13 w/ warranty and 28XX miles. Did I break it or it characteristic of thumper to use oil? I don't remember my DR650 using any but it held quite a bit more oil too.

Cheers!
Strapping Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #1132
kdtrull
Alpha Nerd

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapping Lad View Post
Also, has anyone noticed oil consumption from their XT? I've taken a couple longer trips on the bike and do my best to stay off the big highways and try not to keep the bike wide open for too long. My last trip from San Jose to Reno the bike used maybe 250ml oil. The bike only takes 1.3L... Is this just my bike using oil? The bike is a '13 w/ warranty and 28XX miles. Did I break it or it characteristic of thumper to use oil? I don't remember my DR650 using any but it held quite a bit more oil too.

Cheers!
My '08 went through a brief period (somewhere between the 2k-4k mile range) in which it would use a noitceable amount oil during a day with a lot of WOT highway miles. It was probably near 2k before I ever started running it on day-long rides at highway speeds. The first time I noticed it was after several consecutive highway days....kinda' spooked me...it was about half way between the full and low markers. So, I started paying much closer attention to it. Then, as the miles rolled by, it seemed to get better. By the time I hit 10k miles, it was significantly less usage than when I first noticed it. The last "long" trip I made on it was about 750 miles (started with a fresh oil change) and almost all highway speeds. Add to that, about another 400 miles of "fart'n around riding" before I checked it again. The level was only slightly below full. I also noticed some slight usage on a couple of very hot, slow but high revving, trail riding days. I don't know if that's normal or not...but it ran as good the day I sold it, as the day I bought it.
kdtrull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #1133
Strapping Lad
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtrull View Post
My '08 went through a brief period (somewhere between the 2k-4k mile range) in which it would use a noitceable amount oil during a day with a lot of WOT highway miles. It was probably near 2k before I ever started running it on day-long rides at highway speeds. The first time I noticed it was after several consecutive highway days....kinda' spooked me...it was about half way between the full and low markers. So, I started paying much closer attention to it. Then, as the miles rolled by, it seemed to get better. By the time I hit 10k miles, it was significantly less usage than when I first noticed it. The last "long" trip I made on it was about 750 miles (started with a fresh oil change) and almost all highway speeds. Add to that, about another 400 miles of "fart'n around riding" before I checked it again. The level was only slightly below full. I also noticed some slight usage on a couple of very hot, slow but high revving, trail riding days. I don't know if that's normal or not...but it ran as good the day I sold it, as the day I bought it.
Thanks for the input. I can agree the bike runs very well. It doesn't smoke, no oil in the muffler or air box, and never seems to run too hot. When I did the initial valve check, the internal bits I could see didn't look as though oil had been getting past the rings.

Does this particular engine have a mechanism to spray oil to the underside of the cylinder like some other thumpers? It supposed to help with heat dissipation and oil use.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #1134
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,381
A bike with a plated bore should not really use any oil at all.
My dr650 did not, and my TU250 gets serious abuse and uses no oil.
Its at 19,000 miles and counting so far.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #1135
BigIron805
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Does the 2013 have any more power than previous models?
According to totalmotorcycle.com they revised the cranksaft and piston along with adding F.I.
BigIron805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:52 AM   #1136
Strapping Lad
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron805 View Post
According to totalmotorcycle.com they revised the cranksaft and piston along with adding F.I.
I'm not 100% on this but I think it went from 16rwhp to 18rwhp. I remember comparing older reviews and dyno runs with the '13 model.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #1137
HeadPoseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron805 View Post
Yamaha did in fact change the crankshaft and piston...they are using the 2008+ Raptor 250 crank and a different piston. The cylinder is also different for the 2013 XT. It looks just like the Raptor cylinder, but has different part number, the 08's cylinder had some different machining. All of this really makes me think the 280 big bore kits and hot camshafts made for the Raptor 250's would work in the XT. Anyone tried anything like this yet?
HeadPoseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #1138
Strapping Lad
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadPoseur View Post
Yamaha did in fact change the crankshaft and piston...they are using the 2008+ Raptor 250 crank and a different piston. The cylinder is also different for the 2013 XT. It looks just like the Raptor cylinder, but has different part number, the 08's cylinder had some different machining. All of this really makes me think the 280 big bore kits and hot camshafts made for the Raptor 250's would work in the XT. Anyone tried anything like this yet?
Haven't seen anything about doing a big bore kit but it would be a welcome boost in power for the XT.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #1139
hotrod44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
looking for xt350 decals

the xt225 has decal alike the 2000 xt350 if anyones in the know where i could find xt350 blue decals/stickers and add-ons please help me out. i've found red older ones and tt decals but no 2000 xt350
hotrod44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #1140
Strapping Lad
Adventurer

Here's some stuff to ponder...

Maybe a 10.5:1 piston, hotter cam, FI tuner, FMF exhaust. Maybe it could still keep its reliability.

Just found some FI tuning for the '13-'14 models.
http://www.discount-moto-direct.com/.../#.UiwxEsb5Z8E

Other potentials

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-RAPTO...-/110446115475

http://valvetrain.kpmivalvetrain.com...r-2008-to-2013

http://www.ctracing.com/raptor_250.htm