User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2004, 10:43 AM   #16
Linzi
Volvo Driving Soccer Mom

Oddometer: 15,412
Holy crap.

And, I thought my FL-NY trip on the Mutley was really special.
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:09 PM   #17
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
What's a CMRA dude doing here? U wanna race a TW200 against Brook's thumper?

ex-CMRA comp#433 lone Bueller that year.
X1Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #18
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider
What's a CMRA dude doing here? U wanna race a TW200 against Brook's thumper?

ex-CMRA comp#433 lone Bueller that year.

there are a couple of buel this year if I want to race Brooks I got the drz but Ryan and Tyler are both on wr's as well as fault on his drz. this means the dirtbikes are faster then most of the 600s and all the buels.

Andre was the one that bought a tw in NY and rode it all the way back to Rowlet.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 03:10 PM   #19
turbonotch OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzi
Ack... I will have to get more than one dual sport.

I love the TW200, but I have no way to get it to the North GA mountains other than riding it there, and that would be miserable on back roads, because a) it would take for bloody ever, and b) most of GA is really, really boring. I guess I'll have to get a TW200 for my Ocala National Forest runs and something else (maybe a KLR Six Fiddy) for the longer trips. Hmmm... I guess I should probably get a job or something.
Yeah - my daily driver is a 1996 2.3L Ranger 4x4 - so I can load the bike up in the back with camping gear and go to the mountains for a weekend no problem. Works for me.

As much as i like the TW200... if you got a KLR250, DR200, or a XT225, you'd have a little extra power, a sixth gear, more suspension travel, and you'd have one bike that would sorta 'do everything'... though it many not accel at any of them all that well

The TW200 CAN cruise at 60-65mph... but it is buzzing. 45-50mph is its zone of comfort where the vibrations are low and you don't feel like you are asking the bike to do something it doesn't want to do. so if you changed a tooth (upping the stock 14tooth front to a 15tooth) highway speeds could be manageable without sacrificing trail performance.

If you are talking a LONG trip lasting more than a day - bring a few hand tools and change from a 14tooth front to a 16tooth front. Other people have said that with a 16tooth it could pull 65-70mph without TOO much effort and felt much more comfortable at 60-65mph.

It'll never be a fun highway/interstate ride - but it could do it with some preparation. In your case, if you REALLY want a TW it seems easier to buy a $10 front sprocket and change it when need be, than pay for a second bike with tags, insurance, and registation. Even then, I wouldn't want to go more than a days drive onroad though - it'd wear on you quick. Too much wind, engine, and tire noise.
*2003 KTM 250EXC - 'SJER/ECEA bike' **2003 KTM 300EXC - 'Rock Bike' **1999 YZ125/500cc hybrid - 'Adrenaline' **1992 DR350S - 'day tripper' **1978 YZ400 - 'Vintage Big Bore **1981 Kawasaki KL250 - 'Dad's' **1979 Yamaha MX100 - 'lost & found'
turbonotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:04 PM   #20
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonotch
Yeah - my daily driver is a 1996 2.3L Ranger 4x4 - so I can load the bike up in the back with camping gear and go to the mountains for a weekend no problem. Works for me.
I saw your post and noticed you are into Ford turbos as well. My daily driver used to be a 1990 Ford Ranger 2WD Extra cab with a slightly massaged SVO drivetrain in it. Loads of fun and got 26 mpg. i had a minor accident with it and got pissed and sold it, I miss that truck
Old 04-28-2004, 03:33 PM   #21
turbonotch OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
I saw your post and noticed you are into Ford turbos as well. My daily driver used to be a 1990 Ford Ranger 2WD Extra cab with a slightly massaged SVO drivetrain in it. Loads of fun and got 26 mpg. i had a minor accident with it and got pissed and sold it, I miss that truck
yeah - i thought about turboing the ranger but it is simple and reliable so i just left it alone.

you'd like my street/strip car though... check out my photoalbum: http://www.turboford.org/cgi-bin/alb...oto_height=200

how's this for a 2.3 turbo
http://www.turboford.org/cgi-bin/alb...photo_width=-1

http://www.turboford.org/cgi-bin/alb...photo_width=-1
*2003 KTM 250EXC - 'SJER/ECEA bike' **2003 KTM 300EXC - 'Rock Bike' **1999 YZ125/500cc hybrid - 'Adrenaline' **1992 DR350S - 'day tripper' **1978 YZ400 - 'Vintage Big Bore **1981 Kawasaki KL250 - 'Dad's' **1979 Yamaha MX100 - 'lost & found'
Old 04-28-2004, 06:10 PM   #22
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,892
Very nice clean ride
Old 04-28-2004, 07:06 PM   #23
Ruskie
Banned

Oddometer: 29,237
I enjoy fooling around with the TW 200's and the XT 225's. At last count I've owned 8 TW's and still own one today, and wehave a had a few XT's too. Wfie boought anew XT last year. But everybody in the family enjoys these fat tire marvels. There a hoot in the sand and in rocks. Pretty much bullet proof. I've never had any problems as some others have.

The XT 225's are even better if you plan to do longer on/offroad trips but want a smaller ride. The wife loves her XT225. We plan to do the Continental Divide. I'll use the DRZ400S for my big butt
Ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 07:38 PM   #24
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti
You'll see the odd TW on the back of a motorhome here & there....
The Yamaha website used to (maybe still does) actually mentions the XT for use by RV'ers who need a street legal way to get to town...

-Vinent
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 08:08 PM   #25
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 853
Yah these bikes rock

I had one for 13 yrs! Bought mine with 700 miles for 700 bucks from a female rider who only rode it to grad school. How could I go wrong? 16k later I finally sold it. Great for RV's, NO breakdowns except for a flat tire. Rode the thing all the way through the Mojove trail, many, many trails in Utah, Elephant Hill, Kennedy Meadows, Baja, Borrego, Arizona..

It works very well. Not fast. Definately doable. Different - no skid and throttle for turns, kinda street bike like. Sorry to hear no kick start! Mine had both. This bike did everything. Not fast, but it did it.

You'll enjoy it - I know I did!

cb
Old 04-29-2004, 06:50 PM   #26
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,100
Here's to the TW200, it's great

Howdy All,

IMHO, the Yamaha TW200 is a GREAT little bike. I bought one for Donna from Ruskie, for the HUGE sum of $800.00, the thing runs great and is in good shape. Donna, is verticaly chalanged, in short, she's short. To give you an idea of how small the TW200 is, here's a photo of it and Donna along side of my DRZ400S.

Me and Donna have had a lot of fun riding together since she got this bike, we plan on doing a lot of camping and dual sporting in the future now that she has a bike she can handle. This ole bike has kick and electric start, it's old enought so that if it gets messed up it's no big loss and to tell you the truth, I have had a ball riding the darn thing in some places I know I couldn't ride my DRZ400S without having to get a little crazy. They are a really good bike for the money and a ton of fun to boot.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.

Mr. Cob screwed with this post 05-05-2004 at 11:21 PM
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:32 PM   #27
turbonotch OP
Studly Adventurer

yeah - i was concerned that the seat height would be TOO low and my hips would cramp up (i'm 6 foot)... but that hasn't been a problem yet.

i find myself playing around on trails that are an absolute mess and trying all sorts of goofy lines that i could never get away with on a 400 or a 650 simply because of the narrow tires, high seat height, and extra weight (650 specifically on the weight). it is almost like i pick trails LOOKING for trouble because i know it is easy to get out of with such a small, easy to handle bike
Old 04-30-2004, 06:31 AM   #28
cugino pegaso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
there is a shop in the Oeno district of tokyo (biker heaven if you ever get to japan, a must see, 10 blocks, buildings filled to the 10th floor, etc) dedicated to nothing but TW's (just like there are z50/monkey only, brake/clutch lever only, glove only shops, etc). all manner of hop up parts, custom swinarms/wheels you could imagine. I remember one with what must have been an 18" drag race slick!!! flat track set ups the whole schmeer. seems the japanese use the tw as a incredibly popular customizing platform
cugino pegaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 08:30 AM   #29
turbonotch OP
Studly Adventurer

Cool2

spent another weekend on the bike... did 100+ miles on Saturday afternoon, all off-road.

In the morning we got on alot of enduro trails, I'm pushing it increasingly harder as I get comfortable with it and I'm beginning to find the PRECISE limit were the suspension just can't hack it. Rode with a buddy on his DRZ400... definitely outmatched, but we could pace each other on the tight trails.

If we did an all out sprint he handed me my ass (obviously), but when riding at a pace like we were going to spend another 75 miles on the bike - we were pretty even.

On smoother fire trails and narrow two tracks it was a blast. When we got on really whooped out enduro trails and wide graded dirt roads I was out of my league. On the enduro trails the suspension was simply overwhelmed and I had to do the work to keep the thing moving fast... as opposed to the DRZ400 where you could just point it down the trail and let the suspension do the work. A plus side is that it kept my speeds safe enough that I never found myself off the trail into the woods... unlike the DR rider Other problem on enduro trails was height - the foot pegs and shifter seemed to seek out stumps and logs - and the bike sits just low enough that water crossing can become a problem. However when it comes to watercrossings - the TW hydroplanes like a dream provided you have the speed to do so ;) it is kind of addictive - but put me in two situations where I went down, once pretty damn hard. Hydroplaning waterholes of unknown depth seems to do that! lol.

On wide graded dirt roads, it just didn't have the cajones to power out of corners or the top speed to keep pace as the DRZ400 rider powerslide through long sweeping turns 'dirt-track' style. Oh well. That doesn't bother me because I only ride on graded dirt roads long enough to spot a side path.

As soon as we got off of those types of trails - the two bikes were very well matched... simply because speed became dependent on rider skill and we have been riding together since we were kids. On low to medium speed trails I had to put LESS work into keeping the bike moving through and I could negotiate obstacles with less effort and error than the DR - simply because of the low weight, low seat height, and amazingly tractable tires (sandy trails). The little things that usually take alot of energy (like unsticking the bike or turning around on a dead end, bar width, trail) were MUCH easier on the TW200 and kind of made up for all the work I put into keeping up on the heavily whooped enduro trails earlier in the day.

In the end, the TW200 kept pace with a bike twice as big, with at LEAST twice the suspension and twice the motor... and a price tag also double. Did the TW200 do it flawlessly? Hell no. But it did do it and came back in one piece.

Time will tell if it stands up to the abuse. I think the rear suspension will do OK but I'm wondering how long it'll take before the fork seals are hammered out. I have a plan to swap on better forks if it does become a problem... shouldn't be to hard at all.

It's tolerance to abuse and my bank account will ultimately determine if it sticks around - but I can't say I'm dissappointed.

BTW - I added handgrip guards from my old dual-sport (to deflect brush and protect the levers/my hands) and a 1 tooth larger front sprocket today (to give it some more highway ability and a little better gear split for intermediate speed trails). I think I'm going to order a rear rack from cycleracks.com to hold camping gear and put some thought into a set of custom guards to protect the shifter and rear brake lever... they seem to keep catching stumps.

turbonotch screwed with this post 05-03-2004 at 03:29 PM
Old 05-19-2004, 01:14 PM   #30
Lee Dodge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
I saw a TW200 for sale and went to look at it today. I took it for a test ride (on the street) and it was not quite what I was expecting. The engine was stronger than I expected. It should be fine for the kind of tight woods riding I plan on. The motor was also very smooth. It even sounded kind of cool.

What I didn't like was the suspension. Much stiffer than I expected for a trail bike. Stiffer than my street bike. It seems like it would make for a pretty rough ride off road. Perhaps it would better if the tires were aired down for trail use. Are all the tw200's this way or did they stiffen the suspension on the later models?
Lee Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote