Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #136
BeenThere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Did you check it when you took delivery of it from the dealer? Mine was low in the sight glass on delivery.

Norm
BeenThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #137
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
You have nothing to worry about. It doesn't take much oil to go from the bottom of the site glass to the top.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #138
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,584
Has anyone come out with a larger, after-market, gas tank for the '09 yet?

I mean that's truly plug-n-play?
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #139
TomN OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,503
A couple of threads on Acerbis tank on the 09

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...02#post6856102

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...68#post7332868
Old 08-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #140
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomN

Thank you.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #141
taranaki
right?

Oddometer: 1,296
Which tail rack?

The Borrego from Turbo City or the one on ebay from El Cajon?

Borrego is $99 and shaped to accomodate at Tour Master tail bag.

The $79 rack from the guy in El Cajon is cleaner looking and made from thicker tubing.

Anyone with experience with these racks?
Old 08-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #142
scobib
Magic Chef

Oddometer: 934
We just popped the Nomadic racks on our KLX's and they're light, fit well, and seem quite nice... Also installed some Barkbusters VPS hand pro and Ricochet bashplates... All were quite nice pieces...
scobib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #143
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobib
We just popped the Nomadic racks on our KLX's and they're light, fit well, and seem quite nice... Also installed some Barkbusters VPS hand pro and Ricochet bashplates... All were quite nice pieces...
I bought the Nomadic off ebay and I love it, really great build quality, and nice powder coating.

I also bought the Ricochet skidplate but noticed it says its for an 06-08 KLX, will it fit the 09? Im out of town and dont have a chance to try to fit it.

I also got a 1G rotopax gas can, it arrived today and I love it! www.rotopax.com they are amazing quality and fit perfect on the nomadic rack.

I also have a set of ContiEscapes, Cargo Net, 15T countersprocket, Wolfman tank bag and some other goodies sitting here, 2000Km from by bike..
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #144
scobib
Magic Chef

Yes, the '06-08 will fit on the '09... We just installed two of them and they fit like a champ!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #145
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobib
Yes, the '06-08 will fit on the '09... We just installed two of them and they fit like a champ!
Great Thx, thats what I was hoping to hear. Its well built and much lighter than the Moose plate I bought for my KLR (Im guessing the size difference). Im planning a 7000KM trip next year on the KLX, I know the KLX is tuned down to be more relieable, guess I will find out!
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #146
scobib
Magic Chef

One more thing I think I'll be adding before too long - the Unabiker Radiator Guards...

http://www.unabiker.com/mm5/merchant...tegory_Code=k5

The factory plastic rad guards are laughable...

For longer distance travel, I also plan on a GiantLoop Coyote bag...
Old 08-28-2009, 11:26 PM   #147
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Anyone switching from a 650 to a KLX250?

I use my bike for a 20 mile commute 90% of the time. The other 10% is ADV touring (camping gear) and trail riding. I have been thinking about getting the 250 so I can do more exploring and get off of the main fire roads. I am a little worried that I will find it too small or under powered. I am wondering how guys like it after riding 650s....
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #148
BeenThere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I just recently switched from a KLR650 to a KLX250S. The 650 was much nicer on the road being heavier and more powerful. I find the 250 adequate on the road, but a little lacking in power. I'm going to install the 351 kit though and that will take care of the power problem.

Being retired I don't commute, but the 250 is my regular ride for everything else. What's most important to me is how much more relaxed I am on the 250 over the 650. The 650 was very top heavy so I was always fearful I might drop it whether it be while riding trails, or even in parking lots. And, I knew I couldn't pick it up by myself when I did drop it, (dropped it 7 times in the dirt).

I'm glad I made the switch.

Norm
BeenThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:18 AM   #149
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThere
I just recently switched from a KLR650 to a KLX250S. The 650 was much nicer on the road being heavier and more powerful. I find the 250 adequate on the road, but a little lacking in power. I'm going to install the 351 kit though and that will take care of the power problem.

Being retired I don't commute, but the 250 is my regular ride for everything else. What's most important to me is how much more relaxed I am on the 250 over the 650. The 650 was very top heavy so I was always fearful I might drop it whether it be while riding trails, or even in parking lots. And, I knew I couldn't pick it up by myself when I did drop it, (dropped it 7 times in the dirt).

I'm glad I made the switch.

Norm
I can still pick up my KLR, but I don't enjoy it. But I find that I'm far more comfortable off road on my Sherpa than on my KLR due to the top-heavy-ness of the KLR. I did a ride on my Sherpa that turned me back on my KLR - and my riding hadn't improved between the two attempts. But what has me looking at the KLX is its having a similar weight and hangling characteristics to the Sherpa while still having a full size frame and ergos more closely related to the KLR. I'm debating selling the KLR and buying the KLX and installing the 351 kit ~ so it's nice to hear from someone who's already muddled through the same mental debate and reached the same conclusion I'm leaning toward. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #150
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,590
Yep, my recent annual 2-week Colorado trip finally convinced me to go to a lighter DS bike over the KLR650. I've ridden KLRs for decades and have had loads of fun riding them in a manner and in places where they weren't ideal. Even after extensive suspension and tuning mods, the bike is still up around 400 pounds. I'm going lighter in the form of a KLX250, DRZ400, or WR250R dual sport...just kinda depends on what I find for the money.

I don't ride my KLR any more than I have to on pavement, so why in heck am I trying to herd a 400 pound pig? I haul my KLR to riding places all over the western U.S., so there's just no reason to deal with this water buffalo anymore. I want to stay street legal without aftermarket kits and such, but being that there are some good candidates like the KLX available, there's no reason for me to continue my weigh lifting program.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote